GreaseSpot Cafe

Son of Oral Roberts Arrested

OperaBuff

even a drunk Squirrel knows better than to get behind the wheel..

I can WALK to the store to pick up another brew, can't I?

:biglaugh:

If I'm so intoxicated that I can't friggin WALK to the store for another brewskie.. now maybe, just maybe, I don't NEED another brewskie?

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

dumbass *evangelists* just can't seem to figure this out..

:biglaugh:

Being the low life, tawdry cad that I am, I have always always ALWays wondered what in the world went through the minds of the parents who, after going through all of the possible names for their upcoming child, decided on "Oral".

That being said, I'd drink too. No, actually I'd just change my name to something less uh, weird.

Preacher's kids (PKLs) always have it especially tough. I am praying for him. (Ralph Graham, Billy's son and the head of that ministry has a $1 million dollar house, which has hindered his testimony of living for the Lord and helping the poor.. . .

The temptation to lust in any category is always present and especially so for PKs.

I hope and pray I will be found at the judgment to have been praying for these people and their needs I see and not to be part of the plot to destroy them by condemning and judging and casting the black stones at them.

• 2 weeks later...

People - anyone, all humans - need to not drink and then drive a car while intoxicated.

I probably drink less in a year as some you do in a week, but I carry a little digital "breath a lyzer" gadget in my glove box, so that anytime I am out and have more than one drink I can test myself.

Drinking and driving is just stupid. Preacher's are not immune to that. He was cited for driving

93 mph

in a 65 mph zone

Intoxicated.

Throwing stones? I'd have used a big one to at least get him off the road. Geez, I don't care if he's a Mormon Scientologist Christian Scientist Pope - get that mother off the road. Dammed right he needs help. He'll have lots of it if he gets into the DUI program in his state and they won't be crying in their coffee about how hard it must be for a PK. Once you get in the belly of the beast you have plenty of time to think about it.

Follow the Path of Ham - drink too much? Walk. Or call a cab or a friend. Or just fall over in the gutter. Stay out of your car.

Having said that -

IMO DUI law is way out of whack in the U.S. - in California it varies from county to county and isn't equitable or reasonable. I completely agree that DUI is dangerous activity. I don't agree with the laws or law enforcement on how it's managed.

It's widely understood that if you have between 20 and 50 k you can get any marginal toxicity test in a first time DUI tossed out of court. For the same amount you can get the penalties minimized - if you have the money. If you don't, you're screwed.

I have a feeling he'll be handled with respect.

Well yah, no wonder these guys drink. Somebody's great grandfather somewhere had five too many and came up with the perfect name to ruin your life.

Aural - that would be okay I guess.

Either way - don't drink and drive. Drink and throw up on your own carpet, please but not at 93 mph.

Something as serious as this may be the catalyst for him to go deep.

Rather than seem like a callow cur I do agree with Kit, it's got to be tough to be Roberts Jr. He was raised in an extremely difficult world and money was involved. His Dad is one of the big promoters of the "seed faith" movement. I've all but taken O Roberts off my radar but he was certainly part of a huge movement in American religion that scraped dollars out of people's pockets, teaching the blessings of God that flow back to the giver of a gift. Like money. Jr. was raised on that.

These family ministries become little empires, cash cows for the founders and often, unlike in the Way, for their families. They begin to see all of the resources of their church as their own and for their own use and have no problem livin' the life on God's people's dollar.

I do pray for anyone who commits a crime like this because it's a serious offense to themselves as well as all those around them. On that level it has nothing to do with him being a minister or any of that, once you get tied up in the law like this you have many years of repercussions that affect you. If you don't clean your act up it will haunt you for years and if there's a next time it can be worse. Much worse. Course a lot of celebrities get off and go their own way with a slap on the hand but if you keep coming back it's gonna get you.

Most of all I hope that he gets it together, a good start would be junking all of that theology his Dad wrapped around the giving of money and the buying and selling of God's gifts. But bottom line, anyone who chooses to kill themselves be it a drink at a time or like Robert's other son with a bullet - do it away from the rest of the world and don't put others at risk. But it's a sad waste of good life and a lesson for all, bad way to learn it but a lesson.