GreaseSpot Cafe

MLM and the Wayfer

OldSkool

Perusing my Facebook page this morning and there happened across my wall a post from someone currently in TWI regarding a weight loss / nutrition program. So, I checked it out to see what it was about and.......BAM!.......you guessed it - another MLM scheme! And of course it was REALLY expensive to participate unless you sign up to become a distributor.

My Lord I could count the MLM schemes I have run across in way land but I will spare you the boring list it would produce.

So what makes these guys so prone to participate in multi level marketing schemes?

- They are used to falling for the big fat claims?

- TWI is at heart a MLM that has it's followers groomed for participation?

- They are all so darned broke that following MLM schemes is one of the only outlets they have?

- What else? - thoughts, comments, I would love to get a handle on this.

• Upvote 1

Several years after I left The Way International, an old friend of mine (from before the Way daze) called me up and wanted for me to meet with him and another fellow (his Amway... sponsor?... under-shepherder?... what?...) to talk about all the wonderful opportunities available to me if I also joined up. I wanted to attend the meeting because I felt our old friendship warranted it, but I also knew I didn't want to sign up for Amway, so I had to think it through. I reflected back on the time I had spent as a twig coordinator.

Amway makes it sound like the only work involved is selling product. But the REAL work it takes if you want to live on financial easy street is riding herd on all the squirrels (no offense to you, Ham) that you've talked into joining up, trying to keep them from losing interest and quitting, trying to keep them from screwing each other, literally and figuratively, and from screwing YOU!

I had enough of THAT in the two years I spent as a TC (and a successful one at that, we grew from about 12 to about 48, ran a foundational class at the twig level, and split).

The main skill required in both TWI and multi-level-marketing was the ability to manipul... er...motivate people.

Love,

Steve

I recall when I first got involved with TWI and one of the believers was getting into some life insurance MLM and was referring to the structure being just like the ministry...I should have known then that there was something wrong, but I was very young then and didn't know much about MLMs other than there seemed like there was something wrong with them because of the promise of making lots of money and all you have to do is get some underlings to get more underlings to get more underlings. Most people that I seen get involved with MLMs rarely got past the initial cost of the "start" package. I shy away from anything that someone starts some sort of pitch on to sell me on, if something is worthwhile it sells itself.