GreaseSpot Cafe

the way ministry

excathedra

you won't like what i have to say, but i really do believe if it wasn't "the way" it would have been some other group

in my (humble not necessarily correct) opinion, i was searching so very much

a frikkin bald mooney might have gotten to me if i was at an airport, but i never frequented airports

college campus was a good way to find me

i think i'm just trying to say that i was a very good target given the emptiness in my life

searching searching searching for love and a family

i am thankful that god and jesus christ became even more real to me (but they were very real to me when i was a kid growing up in the catholic church (yuck)\

i am one of those people who believe our father god and our savior jesus christ can find us anywhere in any circumstances, which i'm so f u cc kingthank for

the abuse and the crapola is not new to me with the way == iknow it too personally and ddeeply in the roman catholic church

so what is the summation of this post?

god's grace abounds and jesus christ saves to the uttermost

whatever happens to those bad jerkoffs is not my duty or problem

much love,

e

• Upvote 1

I can identify with you. I know if it hadn't been TWI, it would have just been another group of some sort. I, too, was searching for love and a family. And when I think about it, I did find some love and I did find some family in TWI...but, it wasn't all what I thought it was. I am very thankful I do have connections with some of my closest friends that were in TWI with me. They have always been a blessing to me and my life.

Your right excie. Before the wayfers found me, it was the adventists, that whole vegetarian life thing appealed to me for some reason. I grew up catholic and believed that very same thing. Still do. I was searching for the truth about this mystery we call life when tw found me.

I'm just glad I was not one of those guys who ran into that Quack that took that ride on the Hale Bopp Comet!

I think I'm always searching for the truth. I wish God would just send down his angel right now and blow my mind with some revelation. I know I do have everlasting life and I have God and The Lord Jesus Christ to thank for that.

I've found everything is more peaceful------post twm, after I un-learned the doctrines that they taught.

Edited by Human without the bean

When I look back on my origins and start with TWI my weakness was an egotistical appeal to knowledge of the scriptures. On a college campus, which the Way was infiltrated into at that time, it was very easy for some to spout off VP's flawed research and appear knowledgeable. Combine that with being treated cruelly and judged by some of the on-campus standard fare Christian organizations, and the obtuse viewpoints of those teaching my religion classes with PhD's, I was easy pickings. I ignored the support systems in place with my regular denominational church and followed the yellow brick road down to the land of Oz. It took decades to pull back the curtains and see the moral midget wizard pulling the strings of all the puppets.

The underlying truth of course is "knowledge puffs up, but love edifies". However, with an undeveloped mind as a youth, it's very easy to mistake the "love bombing" of The Way with the genuine love shown in the scriptures.

Would I have been prey for any other organization? I don't think so. Many orgs were vying for my attention at the time. I think the unique blend of "love bombing" combined with the flim-flam hustle pitch and aura surrounding VP and his "research" were the perfect cult storm for me.

I guess everybody is different. And amazingly enough, that's OK. :)

When I look back on my origins and start with TWI my weakness was an egotistical appeal to knowledge of the scriptures. On a college campus, which the Way was infiltrated into at that time, it was very easy for some to spout off VP's flawed research and appear knowledgeable. Combine that with being treated cruelly and judged by some of the on-campus standard fare Christian organizations, and the obtuse viewpoints of those teaching my religion classes with PhD's, I was easy pickings. I ignored the support systems in place with my regular denominational church and followed the yellow brick road down to the land of Oz. It took decades to pull back the curtains and see the moral midget wizard pulling the strings of all the puppets.

The underlying truth of course is "knowledge puffs up, but love edifies". However, with an undeveloped mind as a youth, it's very easy to mistake the "love bombing" of The Way with the genuine love shown in the scriptures.

Would I have been prey for any other organization? I don't think so. Many orgs were vying for my attention at the time. I think the unique blend of "love bombing" combined with the flim-flam hustle pitch and aura surrounding VP and his "research" were the perfect cult storm for me.

I guess everybody is different. And amazingly enough, that's OK. :)

I agree, chockfull, and the circumstances of my initial exposure were very similar to yours. But I've got one additional observation. The love at the twig level wasn't all cynical love bombing, though it was at the top. There were many lowly "leaves on a mighty (rotten) tree" who were sincerely trying to love God and love His people to the best of their ability. The Trustees and their minions were vampires sucking the lifeblood of genuine believers.

Love,

Steve

I agree, chockfull, and the circumstances of my initial exposure were very similar to yours. But I've got one additional observation. The love at the twig level wasn't all cynical love bombing, though it was at the top. There were many lowly "leaves on a mighty (rotten) tree" who were sincerely trying to love God and love His people to the best of their ability. The Trustees and their minions were vampires sucking the lifeblood of genuine believers.

Love,

Steve

I agree Steve. If there wasn't a genuine love element among the leaves I probably would have picked up on the hypocrisy as I saw that in church. I think even the local Corps around me at the time showed genuine love.

oh thank you all for understanding what i meant

love

oh, you're a gem excie. we all love you.

I think I'm always searching for the truth. I wish God would just send down his angel right now and blow my mind with some revelation. I know I do have everlasting life and I have God and The Lord Jesus Christ to thank for that.

i'm with you human

--

chock and steve, how can i ever thank you for your posts and most of all that you care about me?

Everyone who has contributed to this thread has spoken the truth about what so many of us were looking for - and why TWI was so successful for a time.

At one time, most of the people I dealt with had a genuine love for God and His people. In the '70s (before you had to be Corps to do anything) most of the people I knew really believed that we had what the world needed and wanted to share it because it would help people.

I consider myself blessed to have moved away from where I had been 'planted', and was considered 'suspect' in my new home because of where I came from. It meant close association with TWI was over, and I had to learn to move on. To my surprise, there was a whole Christian world out there! Eventually, God brought me to a place where I could love Him and serve Him through spreading the true Gospel and not PFAL. For me at least, my TWI experience can be summed up by Romans 8:28 - with the emphasis the God works all things together for good - not me. If it was up to me, I might still be 'in' - I would be so deluded that I would never see the truth staring me in the face.

My TWI experience has allowed me to be more sensitive to those situations where people can get sucked in. There are lots of good churches out there, but there are also many that are just a few steps away from becoming the next TWI.

I don't post much, but as I read the threads my heart breaks because of the hurt that so many suffered needlessly. As I read, my prayer is that the posters who are still bitter about their experiences will find the peace that God wants for them. I know you are hurting, and I know I can't relate to some of what you experienced, but I also know that God wants to heal your heart.

you're so sweet kevin fallon

god and christ have stayed in my life since leaving the wayfer international

i'm not big on church, but i did attend one little sheet hole a few weeks ago and it was kind of nice. they were great lovers of jesus regardless of their belief that he i god

Thank God through Jesus Christ, excie. Without them, I'd have been a raving lunatic a long time ago!

Love,

Steve

wonder why i still am ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha