GreaseSpot Cafe

Teaching: A leap to the front of the class

skyrider

Long gone are the days of my youth......and the naivete that accompanies it. Just because one ascribes himself as "The Teacher" doesn't make it so. Been there, done that.....and have the t-shirt and corps sweats and nametags to prove it.

Count me as one who stands firmly in the camp of "prove that you can do it FIRST." Not just spout words and charisma in front of others, but have the credentials and proper knowledge of the subject. The world is full of teachers of philosophy, theology, economics, history, etc. that have totally diverging concepts, inflections, and endgames.

For regulars at this site, the wierwille scandal has been exposed by dredging thru twi's swamp of lies, distortions, plagiarism, cherry-picking scriptures, etc. to manipulate and exploit the youth. But hey......now, with eyes-wide-open, its been around for centuries by every snake-oil salesman that peddled his wares. Sure, wierwille cloaked himself as "a man of the cloth" and strutted his stuff.....but really, few older adults bought into his "ministry." New Knoxville businessmen stayed away. Local farmers couldn't stand him. The farmer across the road from the BRC hadn't spoken to wierwille in decades. The grads of those 1960s classes, most all of them kept moving away from twi.

Yet.......the youth clamored to "be taught." We didn't ask for his credentials. Nor did we give much thought to the glaring discrepancies. And even though the Van Wert church had stricken his name from their clergy registry, few cared.

We were young. We were strong. We were invincible.

Even those in disgrace, are still in demand. As the world turns, there's always another batch of students awaiting....

Click Here

The traditional path to an academic job is long and laborious: the solitude and penury of graduate study, the scramble for one of the few open positions in each field, the blood sport of competitive publishing. But while colleges have always courted accomplished public figures, a leap to the front of the class has now become a natural move for those who have suffered spectacular career flameouts. At this point, the transition from public disgrace to college lectern is so familiar that when Mr. Galliano merely stepped foot on the campus of Central Saint Martins, an art and design school in London, speculation rippled around the world — incorrectly — that he would soon be teaching there.

I was in the "ministry" for less than a month when I gave my first "teaching". Mainly, I think, I was chosen to do so because I had my own apartment with plenty of parking space.So much for required expertise. :wink2:

Maybe that's why they had us review the Sunday tapes all the time. Producing a "new" teaching isn't so easy. And how do I know that???? All of my working life was spent in school as a teacher!

When first asked, or rather told, to teach one time....I spent hours exploring what they wanted me to "cover" and then another bunch of hours how to do it...from what perspective...would it be humorous???would I be daring enough to crack a joke? But once I had all the in' and out's worked out..it was a snap. And the powers that be didn't ask me to teach very often....because I was really much better at it than they were.....not to toot my own horn....but when you're born a teacher, and studied all the stuff, and worked at it for 20 years or so - - you sort of have it down, ya know?