GreaseSpot Cafe

Cards/ Sox world series

johniam

I wanted the Red Sox instead of the Tigers. The Tigers got swept last year plus they'd want to get even for 2006. If it's the Red Sox then the Cards want to get even for 2004. But that was 9 years ago.

Ortiz is the only player left from that team. Napoli lost to STL with Texas 2 years ago and Gomes played against the cardinals with the Reds. Those are factors.

Matheny was on that cards team, but now he's the manager. Yadi played during the regular season but I DON'T think he was on the WS roster.

Should make for some good baseball though whoever wins.

A near statistical deadheat between two very good teams. One of the enjoyable aspects of this is that the prima donnas of baseball (yea you Pujols, and I'll include Crawford and Gonzalez as well) will be watching from their villas. I dont know much about this years Cards but the Red Sox after the last two disastrous years and who were picked to finish dead last developed a cohesion and chemistry after the terrorist bombing near Fenway Park in April that has lasted all year. To me 'chemistry' has always been the X Factor that wins championships. The Red Sox aren't the team that is loaded with the most talent that I have ever seen but they are all very good ballplayers that play well together. On any given night you have no idea who will be the one to come up big but it could be anyone. There are no real superstars ( well Ortiz--maybe) and no real holes on this roster. The Bearded wonders have made baseball fun again...I'm looking forward to a good series

Edited by mstar1

One Down Three to go- Hopefully the Cards will wake up and make this a good series. They looked jittery to me tonight and not like The Cards that I had heard about or the ones that I expected. Its only one game and I have been around long enough to know things can change on a dime

No matter what happens I know that I will be saddened when this Series is over and there is no more baseball until spring, This years Red Sox team has been a lot of fun to watch

Last night was the 27th anniversary of the Buckner game, the Red Sox certainly remembered him and honored him well :doh:

after the last two games Id be all for never ever throwing to third again or at least until they can field better than 9 year olds

For tonight I'd like to see both teams play up to their capacity for at least one game(and hopefully the rest of this series) is that so much to ask?

No. Both teams are playing up to their capacity tonight. Sox struck first. Cardinals responded with a home run.

Red Sox tonight look like the team to beat. If the Cardinals lose tonight, I think the Red Sox will close out the series! That's a safe pick isn't it. biglaugh.gif

Lets hope so...but I am not counting anything until the final out...or the final walkoff...It is still 14 hours until game time and I havent slept, cant eat and feel like a 5 year old on Christmas Eve. It is looking good for the Sox--I like their chances but No matter what happens my body is gonna be a wreck for a week if I live through this

Yes, it looks very good for Boston. I recall in 1979 Pittsburgh won games 6 and 7 in Baltimore, so it can be done. If the Cardinals can win game 6 then they will have the momentum going into game 7. Anything is possible, but yeah, it does look good for the Red Sox.

There is no way that I want to see a Game 7- It is 12 hours before Game 6 and I can't eat or sleep.

My chances of getting anything done today are officially zero..so far I have got what I wanted --well much more than I wanted really-

-In April I pegged this team as lucky to finish third and hopefully make baseball, which had been disastrous in Boston for 2 years, fun again. They have far exceeded anything that I had hoped for, this is all gravy.

Its good to see what can happen when 25 guys- all 25 guys- regardless of their supposed skill level, play together for a single common goal as opposed to their individual accomplishments.....It is a rarity in sports but it has come through this year and has been great to watch--Go Sox!

The Red Sox really were the better team. On paper the 2 teams were evenly matched. Even had the same number of wins in the regular season, but the Cardinals just made too many mistakes at the wrong time and the Red Sox got too many clutch hits at the right time. Congratulations Red Sox.

Part of this reminds me of 1968. I grew up in MI and that year Detroit had riots all year. I went to 1 Tiger game in June. Actually saw Denny McClain lose. But at that time the freeway system wasn't finished and coming from the west you had to take I96 which ended outside the city limits and we drove 12 miles on Grand River avenue through the guts of the city. The rioters had recently done their own version of Passover. Black owned businesses had the words 'soul brothers' painted on their glass. The paint mix was red, black, and brown. All other businesses were not 'passed over'. They got their glass broken. Creepy to see for a 14 year old.

But after the Tigers won that year's world series, all the rioting seemed to stop. The city experienced some healing at least temporarily. Same thing with Boston regarding the marathon bombing. I know if someone bombed the arch here the whole town would just feel violated even if nobody died.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...