GreaseSpot Cafe

Movie Mash-Up

-This 1941 movie later had 4 sequels. Actors in it include Claude Rains and

Ralph Bellamy. It also included Bela Lugosi as Bela.

However, nobody ever seems to remember he was in this movie-

most remember it for exactly one actor and one actress

(who do not play "a couple" at any point, neither in this movie

nor real life.) It was written by Curt Siodmak.

-It also had a remake in 2010 with some recognizable actors.

-The 1941 version had an influence on a number of later movies of the same subject.

-The actor with the titular role brought his German Shepherd with him- who acted in the movie...in an important role!

-The theatrical trailer includes moments with fighting a bear. Unfortunately, the bear ran off during filming, so he made the cutting-room floor for the movie.

-I would like to thank countless yaks for their contribution to the titular role.

-The first draft left a major plot point open to interpretation, but the final version made things very unambiguous. I'd like to see a version where the movie is done as a straightforward psychological thriller instead of how it's been done so far.

-The lead actor may only have had one face, but some people have claimed it was perfect for this role.

=When one important prop is handled on-screen, it's purchased after someone claims it could probably be used as a good putter, and mimes using it to play golf.  At one point, someone mistakenly calls it "a stick with a horse's-head handle."

-The story takes place in Wales, but the main character is from the US and of Welsh descent.

The answer IS "The Wolf Man."  In one scene, Talbot is attacked by an apparent wolf- his dog played the wolf.

The hair for the wolfman makeup and body was provided by a lot of yaks.

What was open to interpretation originally was whether Talbot was imagining all the werewolf stuff, or if there was an actual werewolf and transformation and so on.  He could have hallucinated he was changing.

Talbot's silver-headed cane comes in handy in the movie in killing both werewolves.

This movie premiered at a length of 243 minutes. A week after the premiere, the film was reduced to 222 minutes, and edited further to 194 minutes for general release. The 194-minute version was the default broadcast television version for years; home video and cable television releases are of the full-length cut.

This was originally intended to be two (consecutive) movies about the central character.

Adjusted for inflation, this is one of the most expensive movies ever made. Its budget of $44 million is equivalent to over $400 million in 2021.

The main character's navy required huge numbers of boats and ships. It was said at the time that Twentieth Century Fox had the world's third largest navy.

George

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

Taking a wild swing here...  "Ben-Hur"?

That's a wild swing alright and you sometimes get a hit with that but I don't think the main character Judah Ben-Hur had a navy.  The Roman's did.  However, I think Mary Anthony may have been a military leader, so, I'm going to throw something else out there and hope it sticks. 

"Cleopatra"

7 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

That's a wild swing alright and you sometimes get a hit with that but I don't think the main character Judah Ben-Hur had a navy.  The Roman's did.  However, I think Mary Anthony may have been a military leader, so, I'm going to throw something else out there and hope it sticks. 

"Cleopatra"

Correct. :anim-smile:

George

I'm surprised.  I remember that it got pretty chopped up in editing though.

This movie was # 1 at the box office in the year 1969 with the likes of such films as Midnight Cowboy, True Grit,  Easy Rider, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Bonnie and Clyde and Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid.  A good year for movies.  The film featured a female star who debuted in the movie and then went back to back with her next two movies and they were smash hits.   A popular pop group sang the title song of the movie and other songs as well.  It was rated R  for mature language and some nudity.  Susan Lucci played a small part being in a wedding scene.  Jaclyn Smith debuted but was in an uncredited role..

On 3/15/2022 at 1:16 AM, Human without the bean said:

I'm surprised.  I remember that it got pretty chopped up in editing though.

This movie was # 1 at the box office in the year 1969 with the likes of such films as Midnight Cowboy, True Grit,  Easy Rider, Goodbye Mr. Chips, Bonnie and Clyde and Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid.  A good year for movies.  The film featured a female star who debuted in the movie and then went back to back with her next two movies and they were smash hits.   A popular pop group sang the title song of the movie and other songs as well.  It was rated R  for mature language and some nudity.  Susan Lucci played a small part being in a wedding scene.  Jaclyn Smith debuted but was in an uncredited role..

I know this was a pretty vague clue, okay, it was very vague.  The 1969 movie bears a similar theme as 'Mrs. Robinson' without the affair, falling in love, leaving home to go to school. The lead actor playing the love interest and the girls father are an old couple.  Barbara Perkins and Natalie Wood were offered the female role but declined.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's now less vague. I think once you get the girl you'll get the movie.  Oh, one more, one of Hollywood's leading men of the time is credited for NOT helping the female star to become a super-star after he married her.  

On 3/16/2022 at 4:31 AM, Human without the bean said:

The lead actor playing the love interest and the girls father are an old couple.   

But then there's this

8 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Okay the lead actor playing the love interest and the girls father are an odd couple was a clue.  

So, "old" couple or "odd" couple?

Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon were "The Odd Couple"; this could be another of their movies.

George

13 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

But then there's this

So, "old" couple or "odd" couple?

Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon were "The Odd Couple"; this could be another of their movies.

George

Yeah, terrible typo I'm sorry.  Yes, Odd couple. 

2 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

I just looked at Turner Classic Movies.  On right now, a 1969 film featuring Walter Matthau and Goldie Hawn.

Cactus Flower?

George

No not it.  I will save you the trouble.  That's the wrong half of the Odd Couple.

Actually, I steered you wrong.   I wasn't thinking clearly which "Odd Couple" this was.  Not Jack Lemmon.  But the TV show "The Odd Couple" not Tony Randall.  The other one.

I will see about coming up with something else.  I figured the clue about the career of the upcoming actress losing ground to her Hollywood leading man after they married would have narrowed this down a bit.  This is a "Graduate-esk film with the lady falling in love and leaving home to go to college, but it doesn't end with a ride on public transportation.

Another hint.  The band who wrote the title track to the film were "The Association'.

Edited by Human without the bean

6 hours ago, WordWolf said:

AFAIK, George was never IN movies.

Correct.  :biglaugh:

I vaguely remember The Association.  Had a sound like the Mamas and Papas.  One or two hits (which I can't remember right now).

The husband-wife thing isn't resonating.  I have a feeling that once the movie's revealed, all the clues will be :doh:

George

15 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

The husband-wife thing isn't resonating.

George

I never said anything about them being married did I ?  I only said they had fallen in love.  Dustin Hoffman and Katherine Ross didn't get married in "The Graduate".  A wedding does take place in the movie, and it actually is a key point when the plot takes a twist, but the wedding isn't the couple in love.  Oh boy.  I almost don't want to use this now I feel it will let you down.

My goal, I guess, was to leave enough clues about the actress and her skyrocketing career and then flopping career (don't take my superlatives to gospel, she still had a career, but her roles were limited) and then, I thought to leave something about the quirky plot in this movie (hopefully enough) to single her out.  Once you can figure her out I think you got the movie.   I thought the movie has parallels with "The Graduate";  the plot characters fall in love with each other and the relationship then takes place in a college town.  Both were romantic comedies.   The starring ACTOR in fact, starred in one of Neil Simon movies "The Sunshine Boys".   Neil Simon wrote "The Odd Couple" (sorry about that one George).  Another obscure parallel here is the male LEAD ACTOR had the same character name as that of actor Jack Klugman ( TV's Oscar Madison), with the name  Neil Klugman.  How's that for a parallel?

So let's keep going, shall we.  The debuting ACTRESS continued doing romantic comedies with Hollywood hunks for a couple years doing love stories, then, after her next four movies, three out of four very successful movies, she appeared in only five more movies having a sporadic film career at best, in the next twenty years.    Hope this gives someone, somewhat of a clue as to what this movie is?   FYI:  Jack Klugman was in "12 Angry Men".

Edited by Human without the bean

By husband and wife, I didn't mean the characters, I meant this:

Oh, one more, one of Hollywood's leading men of the time is credited for NOT helping the female star to become a super-star after he married her.  

"Love Story"?  I don't know that Ali MacGraw's career "skyrocketed," but it did drop off a bunch when she married Steve McQueen.

George