GreaseSpot Cafe

A story of hope and recovery

Rocky

You know what Twinky and Allen? I think I finally get it. It took awhile. You're talking about "keeping a stiff upper lip, don't let your problems hang out there for all to see", right? I can see where you might think of this is an "American thing", whereas it may not even occur to someone from Great Britain or another country to tell a story like this publically. You might even wonder what the point of doing that would be since it isn't going to change anything that happened.

An American who cuts their hand while cutting lettuce might go, "Oh my God!!! I've cut my hand, I'm bleeding! I need stitches!!! Take me to Emergency room immediately before I bleed to death!!!" The American would leave at once to get the stitches, and then later, in keeping with American tradition, sue the hospital.

Not to mention suing the grower of the lettuce and the manufacturer of the knife.

And then writing a book about the whole incident.

Where a Brit might say in a very controlled tone, "Oh drat, I do believe I've cut my hand. It would seem I may need stitches. May I impose on you to take me to the Emergency Room at Hospital? Of course, I will reimburse you for any expenses you may incur. You will? Oh! You're too kind! Well, off with us then! No use in getting worked up is there? I mean it's not as if it's the end of the world or anything. May as well enjoy the ride."

Might even just wrap it up in a clean tea towel and carry on cutting the lettuce.

Yeah, very funny, BA. That kinda "gets it." :biglaugh:/>:biglaugh:/>

Excie, I didn't know she'd lost her son to adoptive parents over this. To add huge insult to huger injury. I hope the adoptive parents can foster a healthy "open adoption" arrangement where Michelle and the boy can get to know each other properly. How can those lost years ever be replaced?

To everyone:

Life is short and we don't know what might happen tomorrow, even later today. To us, or to those we love.

Enjoy the time there is now, deal with today's issues now, and be kind and forgiving to everybody.

Not to mention suing the grower of the lettuce and the manufacturer of the knife.

And then writing a book about the whole incident.

Might even just wrap it up in a clean tea towel and carry on cutting the lettuce.

Yeah, very funny, BA. That kinda "gets it." :biglaugh:/>/>:biglaugh:/>/>

Excie, I didn't know she'd lost her son to adoptive parents over this. To add huge insult to huger injury. I hope the adoptive parents can foster a healthy "open adoption" arrangement where Michelle and the boy can get to know each other properly. How can those lost years ever be replaced?

To everyone:

Life is short and we don't know what might happen tomorrow, even later today. To us, or to those we love.

Enjoy the time there is now, deal with today's issues now, and be kind and forgiving to everybody.

where's the 'like' button ?!