GreaseSpot Cafe

ISIS beheading: My son's classmate

skyrider

Well, ISIS has been threatening this beheading for several months....

Peter Kassig was in my son's high school graduating class in Indianapolis.

Yeah, a large graduating class of 2006.....but they had history class together.

Amazing how small the world is.

Here's a quick shot at the "six-degrees of separation" theory.

In late September, like six weeks ago.....I had flown to Houston and was headed home,

Sunday, Sept. 28th on United Airlines. Upon arrival at the airport, I went to the

front counter because my computer-generated boarding pass did not have a gate number.

With quick service and a smile, I was issued another boarding pass and passed thru

security to my gate.

When I arrived at my destination, I looked up at the overhead board to confirm my

departure time.....only to find that United Flight #506 was cancelled. So, I pulled

out my boarding pass and I'd been given another flight number....#2204. Hmmm,....I

wonder why that is? Oh well, even though its departure time is 20 minutes later....

at least I'm headed home.

When I get on the plane.....it looks new. As we begin to taxi from the terminal, the

pilot informs us that WE ARE THE FIRST ONES TO FLY ON THIS NEW PLANE. WOW.

Nice flight....real smooth and quiet.

Two days later....I see on the news that this was the SAME DAY [sept. 28] that the

ebola guy [Duncan] in Dallas, TX was taken back to the hospital and diagnosed with

advanced-stage ebola. And.....he had flown United Airlines.

Coincidence? Why was my flight cancelled at the last minute in Houston?

Was my plane quarantined for safety reasons? Were stewardesses from another plane

put on this flight #506? Or.....was this just some non-coincidental coincidence?

Anyways....if true, thankfully, United Airlines was taking precautions.

THEN.....a couple days later, I'm talking to my younger son and he tells me

about his friend Peter Kassig on the list to be beheaded.

WHAT A SMALL, SMALL WORLD.

In one week, I encountered TWO of the biggest national, international, news stories

in this cycle.....ebola and ISIS beheadings. Little 'ole me, in my little world.

Edited by skyrider

I am sorry that your son's friend has been so brutally murdered. Even if they weren't close, it's still especially shocking to the system.

All these people who have been so cruelly murdered...they're all somebody's son, perhaps someone's father, husband, lover. All these lives affected by these atrocities. To what gain?