GreaseSpot Cafe

Windows 10

Twinky

I keep being offered free upgrades from Win 8 (or 8.1) that I have on my laptop, to Win 10.

I hated Win 8, would never have got it installed if I'd known how different and how idiosyncratic it is. There are many features that are intrusive, and many others that are just plain annoying. And I don't need fancy stuff for what I use my laptop (only my laptop) for. So I haven't taken up the generous offer of more trouble with Win 10.

If you've got Win 10, what do you think? Good, bad, more annoying, more genuinely useful features? More trouble? Is it worth installing it - or would waiting till pushed into it be better? Wait for Win 10.#### (10.200?) before upgrading? Would welcome knowing of others' experiences.

• 1 month later...

Twinky,

I don't know if you'll see this reply, since the computer questions forum hardly gets looked at, but here goes:

I got the free upgrade from W7 to W10 a few days ago. It tried to add a bunch of features which really looked stupid to me (letting people track me, letting advertisers push stuff), a new web browser (Edge -- though I immediately switched back to IE11 as my default); and it took away stuff I really liked, like the suite of games. W10 has a "Store" from which you can download games as "apps" but the newer versions (at least of Minesweeper and Mahjong) are poorer than the W7 versions. W10 also ditched my Kaspersky software, so I had to re-load that. I'm not fond of the new file explorer, but I can manage it. There are other bugs, as well. As you may recall, I said I made IE11 my default browser. Now, whenever I click a link, I get a popup window showing my alternatives for browsing. IE is highlighted, but I still have to select it. There's one of those check boxes that says "use this app every time," but it's apparently ignored by the rest of the operating system. I have to click the damn thing even if I open the exact same link.

Maybe, if I were one-third my current age, I might find this "upgrade" pleasant. To me, it's an annoyance AT BEST.

George

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, George. I don't think I'll be going there any time soon! I dislike Win 8 and don't need any more annoyances!

When MS sorts out Win 10 properly...in a few years...maybe...

:)

• 6 months later...

Hi Twinky,

i was looking around here and saw your thread - thought i'd tell you of my experience; i'm upgraded both our computers to Windows 10 - don't have any current issues that i'm aware of but i did see a difference in upgrading windows 7 and windows 8. a good precaution is to back up your files before you upgrade - especially if you have pictures, documents, music, etc....i always do that for both our laptops - i back up files to a network drive.

My laptop was running windows 8 - once i got used to it i preferred it over windows 7; I upgraded to windows 10 without a hitch and have not had any issues since.

Tonto's laptop was running windows 7;when i upgraded her laptop it looked like all was going smooth just like mine did - when it was about finished i saw the same message i saw on mine something like "all your files are exactly where you left them" ...........Liars !!!!!......There were three different folders on her desktop that had pictures and docs - but now they're gone! Fortunately i had all that backed up on a network drive so it was no big deal to replace them.

-

i'm not an IT guy - but i work enough as a field technician for IT that i know just enough to be dangerous :biglaugh:/> - something that i've always wondered about though is what happened to windows 9 ?

I don't think there has ever been a Win 9, T-Bone.

My laptop went in for a complete overhaul over the Christmas period, and as part of that I had Win10 installed, as Win8 and its various updates was causing me no end of problems and seemed to clash with some of the other programs or add-ons.

Happy to say that Win10 has never been a problem (so far; it's 3 months in) and I love it. So much easier to use. More like Win7 but much much better. Very glad I upgraded to Win 10. No incompatibility issues (and no other programs/add-ins changed either!).

So if anyone is considering upgrading to the free Win10 offer, I'd say, go for it!!