GreaseSpot Cafe

Five facts to know about Victor Barnard

Rocky

In October 2016, cult leader Victor Barnard was sentenced to 30 years in prison for sexually assaulting two teenage girls for nearly a decade.

Tonight’s episode of In An Instant will focus on the family of Lindsay Tornambe, one of Barnard’s victims. When Lindsay moved to Minnesota to live with Barnard’s River Road Fellowship, he called for her family to let Lindsay live with him and nine other “maidens” in his home. It was then that she was forced to undergo nearly a decade of sexual abuse at the hands of the cult leader.

Read on to learn more about Victor Barnard.

-----

Of course, many readers here already know most of these facts, most importantly that Barnard... "Before starting his work as a solo cult leader, Barnard was a member of a Christian sect called The Way..."

caught the last 15 minutes of it - didn't know it was on....anyway - when she's reading a letter from her Mom and the gist of the letter was that her Mom did not like her talking bad about Barnard who victimized her daughter for years! She made some comment along the lines of how powerful an influence Barnard has over his  followers - wow - no $hit !!!!!

I think being a cult survivor myself gives me a weird dual mental processor sometimes - in that I can understand cult tactics from two different angles:

first and foremost - from a sane person's viewpoint- all I can say is how horrible...despicable...and almost unbelievably evil someone like Barnard can be

While at the same time I can understand the blinding and emotionally-numbing mindset a cult leader will foster in his followers - that can even subvert the natural familial instincts of a parent - 

like her mom siding with the sexual predator of her own child...I can understand how that mindset is so powerful - but I also think that too is horrible...despicable...and almost unbelievably evil - that a cult leader will instill unnatural familial-like "instincts" in followers ....yeah vpw "our father in the word" - not on your life - I ran away from my TWI "home" to escape from that evil step-dad.

i must say she is a very courageous and strong woman for speaking out about this stuff ! And I'm glad she has a very supportive aunt too.

Edited by T-Bone
Add details
  • Upvote 2

On 6/11/2017 at 10:27 AM, T-Bone said:

caught the last 15 minutes of it - didn't know it was on....anyway - when she's reading a letter from her Mom and the gist of the letter was that her Mom did not like her talking bad about Barnard who victimized her daughter for years! She made some comment along the lines of how powerful an influence Barnard has over his  followers - wow - no $hit !!!!!

I think being a cult survivor myself gives me a weird dual mental processor sometimes - in that I can understand cult tactics from two different angles:

first and foremost - from a sane person's viewpoint- all I can say is how horrible...despicable...and almost unbelievably evil someone like Barnard can be

While at the same time I can understand the blinding and emotionally-numbing mindset a cult leader will foster in his followers - that can even subvert the natural familial instincts of a parent - 

like her mom siding with the sexual predator of her own child...I can understand how that mindset is so powerful - but I also think that too is horrible...despicable...and almost unbelievably evil - that a cult leader will instill unnatural familial-like "instincts" in followers ....yeah vpw "our father in the word" - not on your life - I ran away from my TWI "home" to escape from that evil step-dad.

i must say she is a very courageous and strong woman for speaking out about this stuff ! And I'm glad she has a very supportive aunt too.

T-Bone, you are so right!!  I am so glad this young woman is speaking out about that POS VB!!  But, I have a question for anyone.  Why would her mother, and father give, or allow their child to be with someone like VB??  I do not have kids, but I was a Nanny for many years.  No way in Hell, would I have allowed someone to hurt the kids in my charge!!! No, no, no!!! Did the parents get charged with Child Abuse, of any sort??  I know that VB was/is a sick puppy, but it seems to me, that the parents are also sick, to allow him to have their daughter. The girl was underage when she was given to VB; she really didn't have a say in what happened to her.  I would love to know what happened to the parents.