GreaseSpot Cafe

The Obstacle is the Way (not what you might think)

Rocky

51R9k3G0+ZL.jpg

Many of us who long ago recognized the evil in the TWI viewed, for a time, maybe long time, maybe short time, The Way AS the obstacle. An obstacle that distracted us sometimes for decades, sometimes less.

On this forum (specifically "About the Way" forum) there are stories of wasted years that Victor Wierwille "stole from us."

For me, it's been more than three decades (33 years, more or less) since I "copped out" or rather escaped the cult. That's no longer how I choose to look at the situation. That's not to say that I was (we were) wrong in viewing that reality in that way. 

Wierwille sold us a myth. A story. A cult. A subculture. And yes, a family of sorts. I long ago shed WayBrain. BUT now, I no longer look back and regret my time being part of that dysfunctional subculture.

GOOD things happened after I left twi. But so did things we traditionally consider bad. Difficult things. Obstacles. Challenges.

The transition to acceptance of and growth into the new perspective took years. The obstacles became the path to achievement, accomplishment and growth. They often weren't pleasant.

As (included in the book above) Ben Franklin said (probably more than once), what hurts, instructs.

Rather than ramble on, I'll just say that I've found the book tremendously insightful and inspiring.

Obviously, I highly recommend the book to you.

Maybe you can find it in your local public library. I obtained it from Amazon (Kindle version) for $1.99. I subscribe to a daily email that Amazon sends out with books at special low prices, often $1.99.

Beats the hell out of paying $100 for a class (or hundreds to thousands for variations on PFLAP or Momentus) these days. And your life is YOURS to live as you see fit.

There's no group to join but it will likely provide great insights for self-determination.

• 1 month later...

Howdy - I just saw this and realized this is what you were talking about! Yes, I've heard of this book but haven't read it, only parts. It's going to be on my list.

I do think this perspective is a very useful one and is a way of allowing our lives to move forward in all categories of growth and aging. Less solution and more process, more "tools", a way to do whatever it is worth doing and even more so less "the way to do it" but like a welcome mat for the get 'er done mentality. I often think Marcus O'Aurelius was talking to me when he wrote "Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one."

I've still always got a minute or two for for it but duty always seems to come calling, invited or not. :dance:

Edited by socks
The time machine is nearly finished, all that's left to do is to connect the heat diffusers like this, and then the ooooooooooooœ------ö---------------ztwkl!!!!!!

Some good things have happened to me in my life.  Some very bad things, too.  And some very difficult things.  I've had several jobs, lots of different types of training.

I think everything in my life has been aimed at NOW, to make me who I am and what I am.  I am more relaxed, more happy, or perhaps content, in my skin than I have ever been.  I think that's about acceptance of what has been, what is now, and what may come in the future.  From my PoV, I have gained much confidence that God is with me in all things, and will always be with me.  (Non-Christians will have a different PoV and might talk about self-acceptance or some such, well, that's their PoV.)  Everything is temporary, and I look forward with interest to the future (both immediate and ultra-long-term).  Those things that were bad, or difficult, become retrospectively good things.  (I suppose the "good things" change in value too, but I prefer to keep them in the "good" category.)

All things work together.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/6/2019 at 1:40 AM, Twinky said:

Some good things have happened to me in my life.  Some very bad things, too.  And some very difficult things.  I've had several jobs, lots of different types of training.

I think everything in my life has been aimed at NOW, to make me who I am and what I am.  I am more relaxed, more happy, or perhaps content, in my skin than I have ever been.  I think that's about acceptance of what has been, what is now, and what may come in the future.  From my PoV, I have gained much confidence that God is with me in all things, and will always be with me.  (Non-Christians will have a different PoV and might talk about self-acceptance or some such, well, that's their PoV.)  Everything is temporary, and I look forward with interest to the future (both immediate and ultra-long-term).  Those things that were bad, or difficult, become retrospectively good things.  (I suppose the "good things" change in value too, but I prefer to keep them in the "good" category.)

All things work together.jpg

That's a timely comment here, Twinky. Was talking about this with someone recently. I'm going to digest your comments, they're very succinct and kinda lit up in my brain just now. Thanks. : )

Grace and mercy, leading to redemption and salvation are the big tools I see over and over in my life. In day to day mundane stuff as well as the Big Things. It's a very functional usable process - grace is the favorable open environment to live in and extend to others, and mercy is the sensitivity to the fact that I live in the current moment of a string of moments that will need to be seen in their entirety in order to understand them, which I'm sure is why God is and can be the only true Judge over all. Not "getting what's coming to us" now (mercy) is really very natural, from God's point of view. When I maintain good will towards others and forgive, I really can live as God has provided for salvation through Christ. 

Peace n love! 

Edited by socks
Now can we go to McMeaties please? It's 4:45, if we hurry, we can make it!

On 6/20/2019 at 1:54 AM, Rocky said:

For the record, the book has not changed my world view that much, or my political views at all. But it has made me more able to move with confidence toward my goals.

And has empowered me to view life's challenges more confidently. 

• 4 months later...

Philipians 1 (we may have covered this somewhere already but it struck me today, reading)

1Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters,[b] that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel. 13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard[c] and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.  And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill. 16 The latter do so out of love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel. 17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains. But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.

Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19 for I know that through your prayers and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance.[d] 20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. 

Paul's saying that regardless of the circumstances, if he remains faithful to his beliefs and with their support, his beliefs can be fulfilled. 

He reached people through his conditions that he would likely not have had he not been there. Rather than complain or be condemned for his conditions, he applied his beliefs to them and - prevailed. 

This does add layers of texture to the meaning of prevailing too , "more than conqueror". 

To add:

Paul so clearly states that any and all circumstances can be used to serve the "way" he's pursuing, the work, the message of Christ. 

It's an incredibly powerful section here - even the fact that others use his circumstances as condemnation - I picture people at the Way Nash condemning people who leave their ranks when something goes wrong for them, or their families....."if they'd stood for the Word, if they'd stayed with the ministry that taught them the rightly divided Word (that) wouldn't have happened", but they "gave the adversary opportunity", etc. etc. etc. 

Paul allowed that even that kind of hatred, "whether from false motives or true", he was happy that Christ is preached. 

That's a pretty big perspective and not one I tend towards naturally but one that I can learn a great deal from. 

If the spirit of God lives "in" me then that's the primary turf it will affect. Me - and in many ways I think the understanding that the "pneuma hagion" that is the "Christ in me" is in a relatively ready-state is true. The spirit grows, as "Christ is formed in me". It is a part of "me" now and I'm the driver, with a new instructor with me, that holy spirit that has the character of Christ. 

Over the years this is how I have come to understand it, this life, of a "new birth". I think it's why the Stoic ideas resonate - that idea of not arguing over what a good man is but rather just "be a good man", puts it all back on me to "do the work" - not to get the spirit but to live this new life and for it to grow and develop "me". 

Edited by socks
Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...