GreaseSpot Cafe

We're Christians, right?

Twinky

It always amazed me in TWI that the once-leader (before my time) liked to be referred as "Doctor."  Since when was that a Christian name?  Perhaps he changed his name by deed poll, or however it's done in the US?

When LCM took over, I recall him talking to my in-rez corps and telling us we could call him Craig (as opposed to Rev Martindale, I think).

I just looked at my church notice sheet.  This coming Sunday, our speaker is Bishop Ruth.  Everyone calls the Bishops, Deans, Deacons, and other leaders by their Christian names.  The title "bishop" would identify her for the congregation (I don't even know the woman's surname, but if anyone said Ruth Surname, we wouldn't know who was meant);  anyone talking to her would simply call her Ruth.  Maybe by title in very formal circumstances.  Our former minister at the principal church, the cathedral, in this city was Chaplain to the Queen (an exalted position, wow!) - a lovely man, only ever referred to by the congregation by his Christian name.

And this is true through all the churches that I know of.  And not just Anglican (which my church happens to be) but through the Methodists, Baptists, others.  The only one that's different is the RC man - he's known as "Father David" - but then the RCs have always been a bit different.

We'd only call the leader by his or her title if we didn't know the Christian name - for example, a minister visiting the sick in hospital.  And even then, the minister would introduce him/herself by name and be happy to be called by it.

What's wrong with saying, "Victor told / taught / showed us..."?  Two syllables, same emphasis on the words.  So no harder to say.

Ah!  That's riiiight!  It would be disrespectful of his great learning.  Gotta keep the punters convinced, and what better way than making them refer to you only by title.

Does anyone else attend (or used to attend) a church where the minister is only ever referred to by a title, like Rev So-and-so, or as Dean ... or whatever?

Not to mention that the writers of the church epistles referred to themselves only by their Christian names.  They don't bother with titles at all, and they don't have - whatever it's called - the descriptor of who their father is.  James ben Joseph, for example.  Or Saul/Paul ben ...?who?  And we only know Timothy's mother's name, which wouldn't have been used unless he were illegitimate, probably.  

On 1/22/2021 at 2:19 PM, Oakspear said:

I was raised Catholic, so it was always Father Johnson or Father Bill. I've never been involved in any other churches, so I don't know for sure, although I have heard acquaintances refer to their 

Oak, I used to attend a Methodist Church in Bethesda, and we called the ministers, by their first names. They would call me by my first name, which was fine.  Everyone calls me by my first name, which I really like.  I like the fact that people feel comfortable doing it.  :love3:

On 1/27/2021 at 6:59 PM, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Oak, I used to attend a Methodist Church in Bethesda, and we called the ministers, by their first names. They would call me by my first name, which was fine.  Everyone calls me by my first name, which I really like.  I like the fact that people feel comfortable doing it.  :love3:

I got an internet ordination 15 years ago so I could officiate at weddings. I use "Reverend" on my website and business cards, but I like people to call me by my first name. Some people at weddings insist on calling me "pastor" or "reverend" though. 

22 minutes ago, Oakspear said:

I got an internet ordination 15 years ago so I could officiate at weddings. I use "Reverend" on my website and business cards, but I like people to call me by my first name. Some people at weddings insist on calling me "pastor" or "reverend" though. 

Oak, wow!!  I didn't know that was possible. Good for you!

6 hours ago, Oakspear said:

May I call you "IR-Reverend?" :wink2:

Edited by Rocky
  • Upvote 1