GreaseSpot Cafe

Trivia about Movies, TV, Music, or anything to do with anything.

6 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Hit an inside the park homerun?

I watched Emilio Bonifacio on TV on opening day 2009. Two run, inside the park home run. Blew our minds. 

I can't think of anything else he did on opening day, so I'm going to guess you are right

Correct.  With more power hitters and smaller ballparks, inside-the-park home runs are not as common as they once were. (Some balls hit in Forbes Field are STILL rolling...); but they do happen.  The Reds have two of them already this year.  Peralta's HR came when the outfielder crashed through the fence into the bullpen.  His time around the bases was slower than most regular HR trots.  :biglaugh:  Obviously, rounding the bases because of an error (or more) doesn't count (often called a "Little League HR"); but misplayed balls or balls lost in the sun (or, in one case, fog) do count.

There was even one walk-off, inside-the-park grand slam.  Roberto Clemente in 1956 against the Cubs at (of course) Fornes Field.

Human, you're up

George

What was the first U.S. state to designate Labor Day as a holiday? or.

What is least populated capital city is the U.S.?

I thought I had already posted last night?  Apparently I forgot to hit submit reply.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Augusta, ME?

George

You're on the right track there George.  Both those picks are two and three in terms of their population.  But no, geographically, it's a much narrower state.

Edited by Human without the bean

On 5/21/2024 at 11:48 PM, Human without the bean said:

What was the first U.S. state to designate Labor Day as a holiday? or.

What is least populated capital city is the U.S.?

I thought I had already posted last night?  Apparently I forgot to hit submit reply.

Providence, Rhode Island???

Yes, in the same state capital city that doesn't have a McDonald's, or a Burger King for that matter.  Population around 7,500.  Interesting note.  Vermont has the most fast foods restaurants of any state in the U.S..  I should pack up and move there, it sounds like a nice place to live.

The executive producer of The Elephant Man (1980), a heartbreaking black n white drama based on a true story, held a screening for studio executives near the end of production.

Studio execs shared some ideas to make the movie better, to which the producer responded something to the effect of: I screened the movie for you as a courtesy. "Do not misconstrue this as our soliciting the input of raging primitives."

The executive producer left his name off the credits of the movie because he thought including his name would confuse audiences.

Who was he?

I know of 2 versions of a film on that story in my lifetime. I saw the other one, where it was a film of a stage production, where the actor playing John Merrick wore no makeup.  As a kid, I disliked that but watched the film.  As I got older, I came to agree with what must have been the reason to use no makeup- that is, the play was focusing on his humanity and how he really wasn't that different.

I know there was at least one other version, but I don't really know anything about it except they DID use the makeup.  

Confuse the audience....makeup.... was it JOHN LANDIS?

Posted (edited)

The Producer was actually considered for the role of Sam Loomis in Halloween, which no doubt would have created even further confusion. Sam Loomis was played by Donald Pleasence, perhaps better known [but not to me] as Blofeld in You Only Live Twice. Coincidentally, he also played Victor Frankenstein and Baron Frankenstein in a comedy called "Frankenstein's Great Aunt Tilly."

Incidentally, not all syntax errors are syntax errors. Some are huge hints.

Edited by Raf

Alfred Hitchcock?

Could be thought of (because of his girth) an "elephant" man.

Looks like Donald Pleasence.

Not hard to believe his being pompous enough to insult studio execs.

Only major problem is that he died in 1980.

George

Hitchcock had nothing to do with the Elephant Man.

The Producer's wife did. She's a costar. They said she did not need to audition. In fairness, she was already an Oscar winner.

MUCH later, the Producer became an EGOT winner.

There's a grammatical/syntax error I am making repeatedly that gives the  answer away.

The clue about the wife is genuinely challenging.

Two of the others are so obvious you will SYH when you realize it.

No clues in this post.

The Elephant Man is not The Producer's only black and white movie.

He is an EGOT. which means he has an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony Tony Tony Tony...

He was married at the time of the Elephant Man to an actress who had previously won an Oscar.

He is almost 5% of the way there on becoming one of his most famous characters.

There's a movie mentioned in the clues that appears irrelevant, until you know who The Producer is. Then it's like, ok, he had nothing to do with that movie, but yeah, it's still a clue.

Syntax, by the way, includes placing the right words in the right order, with proper punctuation and capitalization. Incidentally, not all syntax errors are syntax errors. Some are huge hints.