GreaseSpot Cafe

Review of UNDERTOW by someone raised in a TWI offshoot

Rocky

Elizabeth C. writes:

I've read a lot of critiques of the research methods, unorthodox teachings, and spiritual abuse of the The Way International (TWI), but Undertow by Charlene Edge was the first look inside the research department I've ever seen.

TWI billed itself as a research ministry. The introductory class focused on how to study the Bible, looking at Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic words, examining the context surrounding key verses, or explaining historical customs. Sounds great, right?

Well, it turns out behind this veneer were wrong assumptions, shoddy Greek, and half-baked theories propped up with the idea that someday someone would find a text to substantiate the teaching.

Edge writes about her recruitment into the Way, her many years in different positions, and ultimately her realization that the research department was a sham. Her disillusionment was similar to what I felt when I ultimately left, and it was validating to read that her inside knowledge corroborated what I’d felt for so long.

Many people have left TWI thinking that the original teachings were good, but something got corrupted over the years. Edge shows that the whole foundation was corrupt.

In addition to the look inside the research department, I enjoyed learning more about events that I only remember from the perspective of a small child. My parents joined around the same time as Edge, so it was interesting to read an experience similar to their early days.

I also liked how she described the way Wierwille often accused people of not being spiritually on top of things. This vague standard continues to contribute to my anxiety, and it was helpful to see numerous examples of people being criticized over this.

This memoir is for you whether you simply like reading about cults or especially if you’re a former member of TWI or one of the splinter groups. It’s available from Edge’s website or anywhere books are sold.

Btw, someone close to my heart (ME) wrote this about UNDERTOW a few years ago:

Undertow is a gift to young people and their families who want to understand the inner workings of fundamentalist cults. Charlene Edge’s experience parallels much of my own twelve years as a follower of Victor Paul Wierwille’s ministry. Undertow sheds light on the decisions, questions, and longings that she encountered, and ultimately worked her way through. In the words of Canadian author Matshona Dhliwayo, ‘Books are kinder teachers than experience.’ May Undertow be a kinder teacher to you than Charlene’s seventeen years in The Way International were to her.” —Steve Muratore, publisher of award-winning political blog the Arizona Eagletarian

Recently, YouTube's algorithm presented this clip of some charlatan named Wierwille to me. I watched a little bit of the clip. Victor, taken by himself, without knowing any other background, can be overwhelmingly convincing.

He convinced me 48 years ago. I followed his ministry for 12 years. It made a lasting impact on me. Especially when I realized there was more to him, his message, and his life than is conveyed in his preaching, including this video.

Therefore, I invite everyone (again) to read UNDERTOW and the thousands of first hand accounts of the real Victor Wierwille you can find here at the Greasespot Café.

https://youtu.be/LLP_lxLZPpM

GSC is a good place to tear apart the message of Victor Wierwille.

Edited by Rocky
grammar

It's interesting to read the comments below the video.  Maybe someone should post a link to GSC, maybe to one of the critical thinking type threads.

9 hours ago, skyrider said:

GSC is a good place to ask questions and revive your critical thinking skills to separate truth from error.

Yes, and examining the content and delivery of the perpetrator is, I hope, a potentially helpful exercise to further said goal.