GreaseSpot Cafe

Cat Food

TOMMYZ

When I got my cat a little over a year ago, she was a dainty little thing. One reason I got her was that my house was being invaded by mice. Well, she took care of the mouse problem, and apparently she was eating them because she rather quickly turned into (my pet name for her) Princess Lardass. (All I was feeding her was the dry Iams--no wet food and no "people treats." It had to be the mice!!) I decided to put her on Science Diet Light instead of Iam's Adult.

When I made the switch, I started by mixing just a little Sci. Light in with her Iams at first and then gradually changed the ratio so she was getting more Sci. Diet and less Iams. Now she eats nothing but the Science Diet, and she seems to like it.

TommyZ -- When you take Kitty to the vets for shots and checkup, ask the vet what s/he recommends.

Something to keep in mind that if you have a MALE cat and get him neutered is that you need to keep him on a low ash diet.

Ash -- as in ashes -- are used as filler in cat food.

Cat foods with high ash content is a big cause of urinary tract/bladdar infections in cats - especially neutered males.

Some of the brands mentioned here -- Science Diet, IAMS and Purina are good brands, tho. Science Diet also has coupons and often gives free samples to vets to hand out -- ask for samples.

Food & water are important but don't forget to have kitty spayed or neutered -- it prolongs their lives, as well as keeping them INDOORS -- an outdoor cat's average lifespan is 3 years!

All the best to you & your new family member!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

NOTE: For those of you who knew about the loss of our beloved Emmitt, I wanted to let you know that we have a new family member -- a kitten named Calvin. He's 5 months old, tabby, and keeps our 14 month old baby in check -- the two play together all the time and even look for each other when the other isn't around. It's pretty funny.

Anyhow, things are a bit more lively here now and Calvin is fitting in nicely!

This morning we got a black and white short haired kitten. He's sleeping while I'm typing this.

Right now we're feeding him "Eukanuba" which is what he got at the pet store.

We haven't decided on a name yet. We're thinking of naming him "Bob" after a friend of ours' who's allergic to cats !

anything that licks it entire body, then proceeds to hack up hairballs is pretty digusting to me

gag

hope you find the right food for your *****

i just can't relate

thank God some do

to quote Perry Ferrell:

"...and I'm going 'bout my business...and I'm wonderin' what I'm missin'.."

[This message was edited by MillionsNowSmoking on September 09, 2002 at 4:55.]

TommyZ, congrats on your new cat. My two are also black and white (they are brothers). "Bob" is a great name for a cat, and I would have named one of mine Bob, but that is my husband's name and things might get a little confusing.

I learned a lot reading this thread. My cats are named Pete and Charlie, but one has acquired the nickname Barfmaster. Well, I took Zixar's advice and have kept them on all the same food, and so far so good. On behalf of my carpets, Thank you!

bookworm

bookworm: Glad it helped! Here's another tip: if you do have a cat that has started vomiting regularly, yet is still having normal bowel movements (i.e., no obvious intestinal blockage), check to see if what the cat is bringing back up has been chewed or swallowed whole.

If it looks like it was swallowed whole, your cat's teeth may be bothering him/her. This is also indicated if your cat starts losing weight. Our eldest female, Sunny, had this problem, vomiting unchewed food and weight loss, yet otherwise healthy and normal. A veterinary tooth cleaning cleared the problem up overnight.

FYI,

Zix

• 2 weeks later...

well we have new behaviour.

They have started to put the nibbles in my shoes as I slip them on to run the kid to school I feel little food parts in them , they stuff them full of food what is up with this?

does this mean they like it and want to share?

I stared to restrict the amount to lose weight and they tear open the bag with their claws in the night..... and stuff my shoes with the pieces.

the breath is much better ! I lke this food it is expensive tho and they are still pigs eatin constantly or they start crying and staring at the bowl......

Mj, they are hiding it for later. My kitty hides his toys. Of course, they have short term memories and forget where they hid it! Its amazing what I find in and under stuff when I clean.

I too went to get my bag of catfood and had the pellets gush onto the floor. Izzy and gotten in and chewed the corner of the bottom off. You may have to consider locking the catfood storage shelf.

Mj, also I forgot to say, many people just leave the food bowl with food in it all day.

I put new Eukanuba in the bowl in the morning. Izzy grazes when he wants. But because its always there - they don't gorge themselves like animals will if they only get fed once or twice a day. They just eat when hungry. Izzy, after three years of this is still skinny and muscular.