GreaseSpot Cafe

Cat Food

TOMMYZ

TommyZ: Iams brand cat food is quite good, especially their "Eukanuba" line. Our cats seem to like it, and they produce less waste when they're on it. It is rather expensive though.

The regular Purina/Friskies/9 Lives dry foods will do nicely as well, but you really want to stay away from canned foods. The cats love them, and they're good for an occasional treat, but our vet strictly warned us against them as a main diet. The problem is that canned food is like candy is to humans--it promotes tooth decay. Dry foods help keep the cat's teeth clean, and they don't seem to mind a steady diet of dry.

Another thing to remember is that cats do NOT need a wide variety of foods. You might go nuts eating the same thing for every meal, but cats don't. Mixing up flavors and types of foods can upset the cat's stomach. If you cat vomits a lot, and it's food, not hairballs, it may be that a food change is the culprit. You can try different types at first, to see which the cat prefers, but don't just swap foods later because you think the cat is tired of Seafood Crunchies.

Speaking of hairballs, there are various hairball-reducing food types (our cats like Purina Hairball Formula, but hate Iams and Science Diet HB blends) and urinary-tract health foods, too. Ask your vet which to get, depending on the breed of cat you acquire.

Cats are really great pets. (We have five now...) They're low maintenance, and have a wide range of interesting personalities.

God bless!

Zix

I asked my cat Turtle what he would recommend--

He says that Friskies is good, but what he prefers is Purina One which is pricey.

I give him Friskies most of the time, and for his coat about once a week I buy a can of sardines and give it to him about half at a time including the oil it comes in. Our vet said that it's great for their coat, (Turtle is black patent leather black, very shiny coat)and the oil is good to keep hairballs at bay.

Cats are the best pets!

Although I like dogs, cats cuddle best!

Kay

Kay1952

My son and i got into a huge ripping fight over my cat and his weight issues .

He is fat but so am I and man it got personal....

he said he will die being so over weight I said he will die happy. I put him on a diet once and he started to beg and sit by the frig I couldnt take it....

so consider the source here.

He prefers plan turkey from the deli with cut up tomatoes and always roast beef on thursday night.

I love my cat...

I feed him what I eat.

please no correctons we are both quite fat and happy here .

U asked

Just some stuff I learned over the past few years. I have four cats, but I do not subscribe to a "one-size fits all," or "everything I know must be true" school of thought. But I have done some homework.

Cats are prone to urinary tract infections caused by the clogging from the preservatives in most brands of cats foods. And their systems work so fast, an infection can prove fatal in 8 or so hours.

Iams used to be a really good food, but two years back, they changed their recipe to include preservatives to promote it in "regular" grocery stores. It is not much different than the "fast food" cat food any more - very little nutritional value.

But Iam's Eukanuba is good. My #1 recommendation.

Also, high-mineral tap water can promote infections and crystals in kitty bladders. So stick to filtered or bottled water.

I have heard mixed reactions about Science Diet, from both owners and vets. It is all natural, but like most all-natural foods, too much of a good thing is, well...you know.

Bottom line: choosing a good food can add five years to the lifespan of your cat. And can save a few trips to the emergency room cuz yer cat suddenly can't pee.

Then, there is always the exception the rule. I know of a junk food kitty who lived 30 years (yeah, 3 times 10!). Slept on his face and had a tumor the size of a fist for years.

Thanks for the advice. I had cats 14 years ago. The cats I had then seemed to love meat. They used to love to eat the marrow out of the bone from a ham steak then use the bone as a hockey puck. Another cat loved to eat the meat left on a turkey thigh bone. Halfway through eating he would come rub against my hand and purr to say "thank you.

I don't know of any catfood guide, but at a recent visit to the vet, he suggested I feed my cats a 100% nutritionally complete dry food exclusively, such as Science Diet. I'm currently feeding my cats Science Diet Oral Care.

He said he sees thousands of cats in a year, and the ones who are exclusively on a 100% nutritionally complete dry food diet are the ones he sees the least of.

cat3_e0.gif

Sirguessalot, thanks for your info about Iams, and the formula being changed. I had fed my two previous kitties a diet of Iams and canned Friskies. The male died at 12 yrs, from a tumor in his belly--I would guess that wasn't the food's fault!! LOL!

But the female died just this spring, suddenly, no explanation--14 yrs old. I had expected they would both live a whole lot longer cuz I had fed em "the health food" (we don't really know the cause, my hubby was unemployed at the time and all we could afford was the injection to have her put down at the vet's recommendation--she was struggling to breathe and was suffering. vet thinks it was something to do with her heart-- was it cuzza her diet? We'll never know, now)

But I had read the info about the Eukanuba brand from Iams, and it did seem to read as if it were the better of the two. I now have two 5 month old kittens (it's nice to have kitties in my home again -- they warm a home up nicely!!)

TommyZ good luck with your new kitty!!

side note here...

Now I am looking for a small Heinz 57 puppy to complete the family!! Ya know those are hard to find anymore?? The SPCA is fulla large breed mutts but the only small breed dogs they have are Jack Russell terriers -- my 5 yr old son is ALREADY a terrier!! --bounds and careens throughout the house like a wire-doggy!! LOL!! All we'd need would be him and a terrier!!! AKKKKKK! CRASH!!!

I know more about dog food but I can help you.

Around 1930 the beef and chicken producers had parts of the animal they could not use, as it was not fit for human consumption. The rice manufacturers had the same problems.

They came up with pet food. They use the beaks and feathers of chickens and the run off from rice, which has no nutrition value at all and called it pet food. Then, they taught the Vets to say "do not give your pets people food." Well, before the 1930's the dog and cat ate what you ate. (Except onions and chocolate)

The pet food manufacturers were using a lot of grain in dog and cat foods. Grain is not good for them (as the main ingredient). They are carnivores. Cows eat grass and "what not" as they have more than one stomach to digest all of this stuff. The digestive tracks on the dog and, I believe the cat, are shorter.

Anything in the grocery store is usually full of fillers and allergens.

Some of the best pet food is made by the following companies:

Wellness

http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs/wellness_overview.html

Canidae

http://www.canidae.com

PHD

http://phdproducts.net/dogfood.asp

I believe each site will tell you where you can buy these foods. They are all made with HUMAN grade meats, vegetables and rice.

You can also find a Vet that is holistc as well. My Vet is also a pet nutritionist and chiropractor.

Dot Matrix

I feed my cat IAMS (less active).

My cat was deathly sick a few years ago... My Vet told me to feed my cat food with the least amount of ash as possible (as well as diet).

The best choices were:

Max Cat

IAMS

Before my cat was sick he was eating Purina Cat Chow.

Zix is correct on not changing cat foods. It is hard on a cats system.

Remember, there is a reason why cat foods are different prices...

IMO, cat food is cheaper than vet bills.

ok

I will go to the petco which has the Iams brand and try it..

oooh boy the long nights howling at the frig....

they do not like it I know that and then they beg

but I do not want anything but the best.

not for nothing but the only time they wentto the vet was shots

the operations

and the fights with others when they went outside.

he is so fluffy I hope he doesnt lose his fluff

I started my little guy as a kitten on Eukanuba kitten chicken flavor.

As he got older I mixed in the Eukanuba adult and he successfully switched over. I also sometimes put a little Purina One on top, or Meow Mix, just for something different. His teeth are in excellent condition - no sugar.

Since he is a long hair (he was fluffy as a kitten and never lost it - part angora - very handsome - black with a little grey on the belly) he gets hairballs - boy does he get hairballs.

Hartz makes a great hairball medicine. Its like a vaseline. Izzy likes the malt flavored. It comes in a tube. You put an inch on your finger twice a week. Its important to do this because it lubricates their throats so the hair comes up easily, like on the first or second try. They can damage their esophagus if its dry trying to get fur up and out. Its a preventative thing. I highly recommend it.

I agree about dry food only. He's had excellent digestion and elimation - never any problems. Check out the Eukanuba food.

just got back I bought science diet Light in the pink bage it is on sale this week for still alot of money .

yet at Petco if you buy ten bags You get one free so that is good.

it is tiny little nuggets he eats it I mixed it with some of his dry he has been eating so his tummy dosnt get hurt.

She likes it the girl kitty , it says he is suppose to get 1/4 of a cup oh no not yet he will go into shock of empty bowl he has had it filled for twelve years now .

my so came home as well we talked but it is still very shaky if anyone wants to say a prayer the situation is very bad for him and we are fighting instead of being there for one another .

WHY does that happen?

I will let U know how the cats do. with the new food.

Bow wow! Ruf, r-r-ruf. Gr-r-r-r-r-r, ruf ruf!

(That's a cat speaking in tongues...)

We once had a cat that we had to take to the vet. The cat seemed to know where we were taking her. When we entered the door to the vet's waiting room, the cat let loose with a yowl that literally sounded like "No-o-o-o-o-o-o". It was so clear that the staff from the vet's office all came into the waiting room and asked about it!

I've had several cats over the years, they were all just cats. About 8 years ago I cat-sat for a Manx kitten, she's still here!

Manx have either no tail or just a little stump.

Manx are more like a puppy than a cat. As easy to care for as any other cat but 'Stumpy' follows me around the house and is awake about twice as much as my other cat. Perhaps that?s not real impressive.

Anyhow Stumpy is the best pseudo-dog I've ever had.

My vet recommended we feed our little fuzzy troublemakers IAMS. They are healthy and full of themselves....and IAMS is made right here in Dayton which is an added plus....helping the local economy and all that.

Something I believe that can be just as important is immunizations....

Depending on where and how *Kitty* is going to live they can mean life and death.

And be sure to have them tested for Feline Luekemia....its a simple blood test. One I wish the shelter we adopted our first two kittens had performed...instead we ended up with sick kittens that had to be put down and a heartbroken family.

Enjoy your new addition!