GreaseSpot Cafe

LOTR: The Return of the King

Raf

It was amazing, a stellar capstone to a filmmaking landmark. The only minor quibble was the cuts to black between the ending vignettes, leading some to think the movie had ended six times, only to have another loose end of the story addressed two seconds later. Perhaps a bit of tie-together narration by Galadriel a la the opening of FOTR would have helped that.

People were cheering, dead-silent, sniffling, and applauding all throughout our screening. Films that can evoke that much emotion from today's jaded filmgoers are few and far between. Peter Jackson has to get the Oscar this year in recognition for the whole trilogy. And adding Andy Serkis in real-face as Smeagol to the opening should finally let him be nominated for Best Supporting Actor to make up for last year's slight. (After all, now the live-action and CGI Gollums are the same character...)

Easily the best film I've seen this year.

Secret Signature of the Day==v

NOTE: Private Topics aren't nearly so private as you think they are...

I went-- by myself-- at noon yesterday -- to see Return of The King.

I wanted to write a 'review'--- but it came out almost EXACTLY like Rafael's!!!

"Holy God. WOW!!!"

Three hours in la la land---w/popcorn and a coke!!

Life is good.

This is truly the best of the three.

I think Golum (sp?) was amazing. More than anything I became very involved with that creature. In the book he seemed just evil-- in the picture he was (at times) addorable.

But back to the review--- "Holy God -- WOW"!!!

Two guys from my office drove all the way to Winston-Salem (about 1 1/2 hours) to sit through a marathon of the extended versions of the first two movies plus the third one that started at midnight.

Over 11 hours in a theater seat. My butt's numb just thinking about it. I'm waiting until the crowds go down a little bit before I see it.

I would have gone to a marathon but I didn't want to fight over a good seat.

If you haven't seen ROTK yet, you might wish to watch the Extended (Red-Box) Edition of Two Towers first. It includes a vital scene cut from the theatrical version that fleshes out the relationship between Denethor, Boromir, and Faramir.

Secret Signature of the Day==v

NOTE: Private Topics aren't nearly so private as you think they are...

Seriously, there were so many unimaginably cool moments throughout the movie that I'm going to have to start a separate spoiler thread so that I don't ruin it for anyone. Without spoiling anything for anyone,

Pippin rocks! All hail Pippin!

The kidlet and I went yesterday to see this movie. We waited in line for about an hour. Then went in and got our favorite seats and waited an hour and a half for the movie to start.

And I'd do it again to see this amazing flick. It's was everything Rafael, Zixar, 2life, Dizzydog said and more!! We absolutely loved this movie!!

My only words of advice are don't drink all your soda while waiting for the movie to start!

I was going to wait until Christmas day to see it, but was taking a stroll this evening and poked my head into the theatre to see if there were any seats left. 20 minutes earlier there was a line of at least a hundred people waiting, now there was no line and it was over two hours to show time. When I asked about available seats the two theatre employees looked at each other and said "Sure, we have one ticket left! (maybe this should be in the "miracles" thread!)

See you in the spoiler thread!

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

Oakspear icon_cool.gif