GreaseSpot Cafe

Sears and Kmart are merging!!

mj412

As an amateur investor, I've been paying attention to this.

KMRT is a great company to invest in, even in long term from what I can tell. The idea that the Kmart stores closing down is only one perception, but from a business standpoint it's great. Rather than letting stores that are not making enough money to survive stay open and waste their income, they close the ones that do worst and find ways to make money by selling that real estate and extra stuff off.

Also, Sears was getting into real estate, so this could help Kmart Holdings out quite a bit once they have a more diverse business.

The analysts are expecting the stock price to go up to about $150 a share. It's at something like $105 right now, after a high of $119 earlier. If you check out this chart you can see that early on in the year, Kmart stocks were going for just a little over $20. Imagine if you had bought $1000 worth of that. You would be able to sell it now for about $5,000. That would mean you got paid about $4,000 for maybe 15 minutes worth of work.

Anyway, as someone that owns some KMRT stock I'm excited about this.

This merger has possibilities. I saw a K-Mart go out and it was awful! Wal-Mart is too big and too powerful. I don't want them to get any bigger. They have treated their help and their vendors horribly and have been prosecuted for buying counterfeited merchandise and trying to sell it twice by Nike. Nike won one of the lawsuits.

mister P I hate t bust ya bubble on that one, but you should lof n to Walmart's projected bulding sites. The company I work for does the site excavation for future Walmarts. They have targeted K-Mart stores. The last two we have built were adjacent property and needless to say soon aftr the opening Wally World's doors, soon after K-Mart's cosed.

I've got to agree on this one. Saw a thing on TV last night, that pretty much laid out Wal-Mart's "MO", and their lack of ethical dealing, as far as legitimate business concerns are being dealt with.

W-Mart is dictating to all their suppliers, what they are willing to pay. There is no room for compromise, nor will W-Mart take no for an answer. The show I saw last night, also made mention of where W-Mart sided with the Chinese, against an American company, who filed a lawsuit claiming "unfair trade practices".

Long of the short of it is -- the American company won (it was a TV manufacturer), and hopefully, this will be the first of the eroding waters that attack the W-Mart empire, brick by brick, and reduce them to the rubble that they have made the American work force to become.

Don't get me wrong. I am all for success, hard work, and achievement. Those that attain such, are to be lauded.

However --- As much as my personal opinions fly in the face of liberals, I have to agree that while W-Mart may be a cheap place to shop, it is (as a big conglomerate), a cancer to our society --- given the way it has grown, an proliferated.

The show I saw mentioned that the Chinese folk were making 50 cents an hour. This is one of the reasons you and I can buy from them for so cheap.

The bumper sticker I saw on a car the other day said it all:

"Shop Mall-Wart --Home of cheap plastic crap".

To which I say -- "Amen".

I absolutely refuse to do any repair or sizing on jewelery bought at WallyWorld. You get exactly what you pay for, cheap light weight soft gold that will not wear properly. The price may be less than a Jewelry Store but when you look at the weight and quality you are actually paying more for it.

My brother-in-law bought his wife a diamond anneversary ring there and thought he got a great deal. I told him "yup, no way I can beat that price", "I don't even know where I can buy diamonds at that quality" lol. He just smiled, didn't get the sarcastic cut I gave him.

Ames, K-Mart, Sears, JC Penny, Walmart - Jewelry all the same.

Edited by OnionEater

Currently I am not putting on any more trades as the market is just now starting to consolidate and pull back a bit. Kmarts stock price has just fallen to $101.43 (as of this afternoon 11/18/04) but overall Kmarts stock is still bullish and in a major up trend. But even with this pull back and the market now starting to consolidate, I don't know how long it will take Kmarts stock price to rise to the level of $150/share that this "expert" predicted.

An "expert" also predicted Cisco (CSCO) would rise to $24+ per share 5 or 6 days ago, but Cisco's stock price fell significantly just 2 days after he made that prediction. It may take some considerable time for Cisco's stock price to rise to the level this expert predicted; I am thinking at least another month or two, might take even three. Cisco fell to around $18.00/share or so just a few days ago, but lately it's price has steadily risen to $19.43 over the past few days. Now I am thinking Cisco's stock price may start to consolidate around this price point, at least for a while. From here it just hasn't moved much in the past couple days.

Network Appliances (NTAP)on the otherhand has done favorably over the past couple of days. Right now it's stock price is the highest its been since Dec. 2002. Actually its price is higher right now than it was in Dec 02 when it was at $27.95/share, but I am not suggesting anyone should enter a trade on NTAP right now - perhaps a little later they should. Just because its stock price went from $25.00/share up to 29.43 yesterday 11/17/04, I am hesitant to enter a long postion on it and will tell you why. I will wait until the stochastic and the MACD charts rise again to make an entry on it. These stock charts only rose a little bit because of yesterdays gigantic price move, but now they look like they are falling because the overall market is now starting to consolidate. Just because NTAP's stock price rose this afternoon it didn't make the same move in price it did yesterday. In fact NTAP's opening price today was lower than yesterdays close. Even though its current price has now surpassed yesterdays close, NTAP's price hasn't made nearly quite the move it did yesterday and that in itself should tell you something. The market can easily fake you out if you only look at the price movement of a single stock, because stocks in the same sector usually move in tandem with each other. Now there is something positive to be said and also a good example of what risk management and position sizing can do for your portfolio and your stock trading in times like this.

Right now the market is taking "a breather" and hopefully after this consolidation there will be a major breakout to the upside. I certainly hope so, as I am currently holding American Eagle Outfitters (AEOS) and Emmis Communications (EMMS). Even though both these stocks have fallen a bit in the past few days, both these stocks are in an uptrend with AEOS currently being in the strongest trend. Fortunately it appears the overall market is still in a very strong uptrend, but even the best trends need to consolidate in order to break out higher or lower as the case may be.

So even if you are currently holding Kmart and the price has fallen on you, I am not telling you that you should sell off your long position right now, but I will tell you that you may certainly have to wait quite a while before the stock price makes it to the $150/share level that this expert told you. I certainly hope you have a lot of patience as that seems to be one of the downfalls I have but currently working on. Some of my stock trades would have worked out for me and made considerable money if only I didn't get fearful or emotional at the time and had more patience with them.

isn't it part of the legend of wal mart that the whole reason sam w. started his first store was because he bought a lawn mower or something at k mart and couldn't return it or get it replaced after it tanked on him? so he vowed to put the k mart out of business, opened his first store across the street and eventually the k mart did indeed close from the competition...sumpin' like that?

musta been a wingdinger of a lawnmower.

i can't go into a wal mart, altho my wife shops for certain things there. it freaks me out, it's like guerilla warfare or some insane version of a death-sport going in there, like soccer combined with paper-scissors-rock, but played with bowling balls and real scissors. it's way too weird, dangerous even. at least for me.

sears-forget it. i like the tools, but the stores are run like secret-nazi-societies staffed by jack booted management czars and czarinas who rule with iron hand and run the stores like personal empires. i worked for a store vendor housed in a local sears at one time for a year or so and it was medieval. but fun if you're in to that kind of thing. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

so maybe this will be the big payback for sams lawn mower. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

please note: i'm not a "shopper". icon_redface.gif:o--> unless it's cool stuff, like guitars, tools, etc. icon_cool.gif

I can't remember the word either Excat, but if I could I'd tell you. What was it you wanted to...never mind...

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> huwah huwah huwah!!!

I dunno. I always figured Sam to be a good guy, the all American Dream come true. Then I read his stores are all whacked. Either way, you gotta figure he's got some get up and go in his giddyup. Not a bad thing.

Greed - it's the American Way. What's not to like?

I went to Sears the other day. man was I disappointed.

the store looked perfect if your buying a washer or dryer or a 200.00 blanket. no cosmetics , low number of items on the shelf.

the sales man said "Sears aint what it used to be".

I also can not shop at walmart their stuff is just to cheap and yes the people who work and hang out there are frightening.

so I hope this marriage will bring some nice items like the matha Stwewart line to Sears and a nice kenmore to Kmart in any way it will provide more sotres with better value around. Sears is in the malls and the few K that are left are nice to go to without the mall parking issue. although we do have chalet service I have not tried it at the mall yet maybe this year.

Me too mj. Like I say, I really don't do Retail Shopping very well, but even I've noticed over the years that Sears has gone downhill. We had a local K Mart but they closed couple years after WallySmart moved in. For certain things that kind of retail shopper place building is good. And I could use a valet service. Maybe there'll be some kind of massage services incorporated in. That might get me to go shopping. Spend a buck, get a rub. Sounds like a winner.

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->