GreaseSpot Cafe

IRS

ex70sHouston

I have been fighting with the IRS for several years and have found that you cant argue with them because you cant talk with a person. The computer shows this or that. They can not even connect two accounts or even two years together.

Last year I paid them all I thought that they showed I oued. Next thing is that they go into my back and take funds. I call and ask. Finally someone says that well that was for this other year and we got you for the following year. I thought they were all connected by my ss#. Not so.

This year we are battling over 941 payroll taxes. Not even that we are arguing over where some of the reports are. There answer was to clean out my payroll acount. O the bank was nice enough to not even call and tell me till I found out the hard way. Banks love to charge you for checks you overdraft. $33 each. they make a nice titty sum.

The IRS has become the Gestapole.

Sorry I'm sharring my hoptility with everyone.

they can go back to the day your born they are the federal govt.

they said I owed them 40 dollars one year of which forty was a fee they put on me . ok . it didnt make sense I didnt mess with them I paid the crap. i actualy have the irs do my taxes every year. seriously. they do it for free haha I have never had any problems. I asked them a couple of years ago what the chances of someone working under the table will get caught she said slim to none UNLESS you claim a large boat and your income doesnt account for the style your living.

yes they know what you own as well and can and do put a freeze on your assets if they question it and it takes YEARS to go to court for that with them. they are exempt from the "speedy trial" law as they are the govt. yepp it was 17 years my relative went through hell and back while they investigated her money all the while her house was in limbo and frozen but guess what she still had to pay the tax on it every year!!

true story/ that was about child support her ex husband owed they went after her because the house was in both of their name.

do not play with them.

They can only go back 7 years for a traditional audit, but if they suspect fraud, they can go as far as they want.

They are a tenatious lot, and are never wrong.

When my father's cognitive skills were failing, he did his own taxes and made a whild bunch of bloopers. IRS came after him with all sorts of fines etc. I paid the amount owed minus the fines. His bank, two physicians and 3 nurses who were taking care of them while in FL wrote sworn and notorized affidavits of his congitive inablilty. I was told this would avoud the fines and other late fees. They kept assesing more late fees...this went on for several months and finally I paid everything. To hire a lawyer was more costly so I paid it. I needed to preserve his funds. If it were me, I'd go into the poor house before I paid money I didn't owe.

same here kryssie

i have seen people take on the IRS and win successfully

one individual

one individual with a lawyer

and one company with a lawyer

a smart friend of mine said you usually can work things out with them and don't let them intimidate you. i'm sure it depends on what kind of person you're dealing with

We had a Big Hassle with the IRS back in 1995, and they charged us very unfairly but we were in the kind of IRS-right-we-wrong judgment. Since then Fred requires we have our taxes done professionally, and it seems to help.

Fred is convinced the IRS tags those who do their own taxes as easy prey because they aren't as knowledgeable of IRS ins and outs and can be intimidated easily.

Kit

In DC, they contracted with a private firm to run the speeding cameras and the red light cameras. They collected a bounty for their efforts. There were widespread abuses reported from their efforts -- cameras set incorrectly, judges not wanting to hear it (I remember one morning last week, there was a police vehicle that was trying to get through a red light where all the lanes were already taken -- nobody would move for him, even though he had lights and sirens. Why? Because there was a camera at that light...had they given the cop the right of way, they would have gotten nailed by the camera. So, nobody moved)

The following article shows how the IRS, with G. Bush's full endorsement, is looking to use the same technique to collect taxes:

quote:
Private Firms to Chase Delinquent Taxpayers

When Reps. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.) and Chris Van Hollen (D-Md.) teamed up in September to get the House to pass an amendment blocking the use of private companies to collect back taxes from delinquent taxpayers, it seemed the Bush administration plan might be doomed for at least a year.

But in the final hours of drafting a 3,300-page spending bill last month, House and Senate negotiators eliminated Capito's and Van Hollen's handiwork, clearing the way for the Internal Revenue Service to hire commercial debt collectors. These private agents could keep as much as 25 percent of the amounts they recovered.

While the Bush administration has strongly supported the initiative as a way to increase revenue collections amid growing deficits, critics contend it could lead to harassment of taxpayers and breaches of privacy. Labor groups representing federal workers also oppose the change. But it has the backing of the debt-collection industry, which has contributed heavily to GOP organizations and causes since Bush became president.

(snip)

The action by House-Senate conferees drafting the omnibus spending package is one of dozens that have come to light as the public gives more scrutiny to the huge government-wide spending bill passed Nov. 20.

The removal of the restriction on private tax collectors leaves in force legislation enacted as part of this year's corporate tax bill, allowing the IRS to contract with private companies.

Under the legislation, contractors will not have access to tax return information, other than the amount owed, and will have no role in determining the amount that is owed, officials said. They will be given names, addresses, phone numbers and other identifying information about delinquent payers.

Private collectors will have authority to set up installment payment agreements, and gather financial information about those targeted, presumably to assess their ability to pay or to locate assets that might be attached.

(snip)

"It could result in a loss of objectivity. It could cloud your judgment," said Van Hollen, who noted that IRS rules expressly forbid rewarding service employees based on how much they collect.

The amendment to prohibit the administration from moving ahead with the plan passed on a voice vote in September during House consideration of the spending bill funding the IRS in 2005. During a brief debate that revealed divisions on the question within both parties, some Democrats supported the idea of private collections while several Republicans expressed concerns.

The use of private collectors has been debated for many years. In 1996, the General Accounting Office (now the Government Accountability Office) suggested that "there may be a role for private debt collectors in collecting federal tax debt."

(snip)

Now we have a replication of the SA from the old Germany. They used to go out and collect revenues for the party. Now we have debt collectors. This is really slick, folks.....