GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI-2 imitating TWI-1

JustThinking

One of the more odd or creepy things in TWI-2 I saw was the effort to imitate or rip-off things from TWI-1 by TWI-2. For example:

For a while, people were being pushed by the corps to call Howard Allen "Uncle Howard." (A la Uncle Harry) Not directly told but they said it so much is was weird.

I heard corps refer to LCM as "The Teacher."

There was talk at one TC meeting I attended of collecting sayings of LCM for a book like "Lifelines." (Collection of VPW sayings)

People imitating LCM the way they did VPW. (He grew a mustaches, the corps grew one too, etc)

These all just petered out eventually. Any others out there? I'm not really thinking of abuses. They are well documented here. More the desire to emulate TWI-1 but make it in their mold.

JT

I don't know where I was...but I don't remember any of those things you just mentioned. One thing I noticed is that a lot depended on which leadership you had and what area you were in. About the only thing I remember people imitating was the awful way LCM confronted people and also his teaching methods.

I remember the "Uncle Howard" thing from when i went to the Advanced Class in October of 1995. It was wierd. Creepy, actually. I don't think it sat with too many people very well - so it didn't catch on.

Wonder why we didn't call Ermal Owens "Uncle Ermal"??? He was our "uncle" about as much as Harry was!

I also remember when LCM got his first perm and a bunch of Corps guys got one, too. They all looked like a white version of the cast of "What's Happening". It was sad, really sad.

quote:
I also remember when LCM got his first perm and a bunch of Corps guys got one, too. They all looked like a white version of the cast of "What's Happening". It was sad, really sad.

But wasn't it just a little bit funny? A classic example of "getting a life", but at the wrong place.

About all I can remember is corps and corps wannabee's carrying around briefcases for no apparent reason. I thought the hand-tooled leather bible cases were much classier.

The immitating was going on for a long time. Most of us did it at some level or another, like everytime we said "bless you" or "that's not avaliable."

Paul Wrote:

quote:
1Cr 4:16 Wherefore I beseech you, be ye followers of me.
VPW taught us that followers =immitators from the Greek "mimetes."

Paul was an apostle. VPW was presumed to be an apostle so folks began "immitating" VPW. Not in the context of the scripures so much as in personal manerisms and quirks. Witness Donnie Fugit whose mimickery of VPW was legend. But in fairness, Donnie did not immitate VPW meanness. He was a good guy from what I have been told by those that knew him well.

But others, like LCM, took it to another level, even immitating VPW's faults. It's the Word you know - Immitate the Man Of God (warts and all). I didn't write the book people. If you don't like it, take it up with the author.

Some folks wore what the MOG wore, ate what MOG ate, drank what the MOG drank, cussed like the MOG cussed, smoked what the MOG smoked, ad infinitum/nauseum. Thus the emmergence of the Mini Mogs - little VPW or LCM clone wannabes - who possibly thought that Doc Vic's or LCM's "spirituality" could be obtained by immition or mimickery.

The problem, of course, was that so many people immitated the wrong things.

Paul further explained:

quote:
1Cr 11:1 Be ye followers of me, even as I also [am] of Christ.
I wonder if Jesus wore leisure suits, had a curly perm, or if he got snot-slinging, vein-popping, spittle-spewing mad if the disciples didn't string the chairs properly or if the people didn't stand up fast enough when he entered the room.

I forgot one. My first TC owned some type of dog that VPW owned. A hunting dog but can't remember the type. I remember him going on about how good it was for hunting ducks. When I pointed out that he didn't hunt and, for that matter, didn't even own a gun, he got really irritated.

Oh well, one more annoying question ignored. :-(

JT

Dear Goey,

I'm glad you explained about DF as well as you did. I was thinking the same thing, how D***** imitated VPW right down to the laugh (only an octave higher!), but didn't want to sound like I was putting him down.

JT, I hope a few who knew D***** will come on and explain him better than I can, sice I did not know him personally. He was one of the earliest to get into the ministry, turned off from serious drugs and turned onto The Word, and got a lot of people to follow TWI in the early "groovy Christian" days. He has been widely described as a sweet man, right up to his untimely demise.

I think a lot of people imitate the people they admire, be it Brittney Spears or their boss at the law firm. Then, hopefully, they grow up....

Regards,

Shaz

How about small meeting being run the same way one of the huge ones were?

Do we really need ushers, parking attendants, a set-up crew, and a refreshments coordinator for a "branch" meeting that can barely scrape up twenty adults?

Do we really need to stand and clap for the teacher when we can see him standing in the back of the (small) room the whole time?

Are nametags really necessary when we're all in the same twig anyway and see way too much of each other as it is?

quote:
Originally posted by jardinero:

Hope:

An LCM "Lifelines"? ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! They'd have to bleep out half the comments!!!!

What a joke!

J.

I think someone said once that this was why lcm started coming up with meaningless

statements like "go until you hear glass break". He was trying to "spontaneously"

come up with things worth quoting so they could be overheard and written down.

No easy task when you have little of substance to say in the first place.

WW quote:

"I think someone said once that this was why lcm started coming up with meaningless

statements like "go until you hear glass break". He was trying to "spontaneously"

come up with things worth quoting so they could be overheard and written down."

Exactly how insecure does that make him?! Yikes. Most guys his age just buy a corvette and flirt with 19 year-old girls. Then again...

JT