GreaseSpot Cafe

defrocking

Dot Matrix

I do not recall TWI defrocking anyone. (I know they phocked icon_wink.gif;)--> a few people)

Do you know?

Anyway, I think this defrocking was a good thing if used correctly. Here is an example of defrocking due to abuse of POWER.

Episcopal Bishops Recommend Jones Be Defrocked

Episcopal Bishop of Montana to receive church's most severe punishment for sexual misconduct.

By Chris Herlinger | posted 2/22/01

The Episcopal Bishop of Montana is likely to be defrocked as a priest. This is the sentence recommended by a panel of bishops after a church court found him guilty of sexual misconduct involving a married woman who was a parishioner and church employee.

If the sentence, given by the panel on February 14, is upheld, 58-year-old Bishop Charles I. "Ci" Jones will no longer be allowed to administer the church's sacraments—the strictest possible punishment under church law.

His attorney, Edward Curry, said Jones was considering appealing against the sentence. Jones has 30 days to file an appeal with a church court. Until that date, the sentence is "stayed" pending a possible appeal.

The 7-2 decision to defrock Jones as a priest follows a January hearing at which the woman asked for the strictest possible discipline to be applied. Jones had a sexual relationship with her from 1981 to 1983, when Jones was rector of an Episcopal church in Russellville, Kentucky. He became bishop of Montana in 1986. Jones was found guilty of the charges in December.

Jones has declined comment to reporters, though he gave a statement in the Evangel, the Montana diocese newsletter, in which he said the decision was "shocking to me, given that my sexual misconduct of which I was found guilty took place almost two decades ago."

The Montana Diocesan Council had unanimously supported Jones's removal, but he said he had been the target of unfair criticism within the diocese. "The lie that is at the root of our suffering as a diocese is perpetuated by a small group of 25 to 30 people among us. The lie is this: 'Ci Jones is a bad person and is the root of all of our troubles.'"

The decision to strip Jones of his clerical status was made by a panel of nine fellow bishops after the submissions regarding sentencing were heard in January in Charlotte, North Carolina.

The bishops said in their decision that the misconduct was "a serious and egregious offence." They condemned the "serious nature of the sexual exploitation and abuse of power and trust" shown by Jones.

In addition, the church court found that Jones had "not demonstrated an understanding of or a genuine repentance for the offences committed" and had demonstrated what it called a "continuing pattern of abusive and exploitative behavior and a risk of future exploitation."

Two members of the tribunal, retired bishop Robert Johnson of the diocese of North Carolina and New Hampshire Bishop Douglas Theuner, dissented. Bishop Johnson called for a public admonition—a formal reprimand—that would not strip Jones of his title. Bishop Theuner called for a tougher punishment, saying Jones should be suspended on conditions, but noted that no other charges of sexual misconduct had been leveled against Jones, and that the bishop had been permitted to serve in Montana even after publicly admitting to the misconduct.

But the woman pressing the charges, who is now 46-years-old, told the sentencing hearing that she wanted the toughest possible sentence imposed against Jones as she had been exploited. Her argument apparently convinced the court. "The passage of time between [Jones's] relationship with the [woman] has not mitigated the serious circumstances of the offences committed," the court said.

The church's current Presiding Bishop, Frank Griswold, has not commented on the case.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/108/44.0.html

these people don't mess around

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2001/002/21.20.html

Most of the offshoot groups just recognized the ordination and reordained them in each group.

I don't know of anyone ever still being in my guess if you were bad enough to be defrocked you were not way material and were M & A

Edited by Whitedove

Dot -- why did she wait so long to see this guy "get his due"? I'm not sticking up for ole "CI", but I'm thinking she could have said something sooner.

quote:
the church court found that Jones had "not demonstrated an understanding of or a genuine repentance for the offences committed" and had demonstrated what it called a "continuing pattern of abusive and exploitative behavior and a risk of future exploitation."

Does this mean there are more "skeletons" in his closet??

I'm just asking

Just clicked on your link.....

quote:
Those changes made it easier to bring charges of sexual misconduct against a bishop. The changes also opened a "window of opportunity," removing all statute-of-limitation barriers so long as aggrieved parties filed their complaints by July 1, 1998.

Plus -- this has been going on since 1999, in their court. If he is that guilty, why is it taking them so long?

Again -- NOT sticking up for CI, but just asking. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Any ideas? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Looked for this letter in the Waydale reading did not see one though. Maybe we can get it in there.

November 1989

Way Corps Letter- Craig Martindale

paragraph 4

There's something else I thought you would like to know. We have informed the state of Ohio of all the clergymen ordained by the Way International who no longer stand with the ministry. This is our responsibility. According to state laws,if a individual no longer fellowships with the congregation that ordained him or her,then he or she is no longer qualified to perform the duties of ordained clergy. I agree with that logic. It fits very well with God's Word. Certainly,ordination is ordination,and spiritually that can not be taken away,but a functioning clergyman or a nonfunctioning clergyman is a different story. These men and woman who were ordained in our ministry and now work against us,or at least have apathetically withdrawn to do nothing,do not carry the rights and privileges of ordained clergy anymore....

governmentally or spiritually. Unless there would be a change of heart to stand on the Word with us in The Way International(the ministry that ordained them),these people at least have to be classified as "inactive clergy". The believers have no responsibility to recognize or accept the functioning of these individuals either. This is certainly not a call to intend harm or hurt on people,but simply to line things up straight the way they should be.The Government doesn't recognize them in clergy functions,and neither do we in the Way Ministry recognize them in their so-called "Biblical actions" which are so unbiblical.

(Then he goes on another page about the salt covenant and talks about J*hn H*ndr*cks.

What I'd like to know is how do you defrock one who wasn't frocked in the first place.

And also I listen to Jo*n Hen*dric*s tapes all the time and he is great. A very nice person. and not a $ grubber. He doesn't ask for $ from people he just beleives God for what he needs and he usually gets it sometimes often from his own self.

quote:
So, John Lynn is no longer clergy?

Does he have to be reordained?

"clergy" is defined as ---"ordained for religious service". Next question would be -- who decides the ordination? God, or man? And then you have to ask if man (ie - a denomination), decides that God has chosen this person to be ordained, who are they to take away what has been "bestowed upon"? If they are "de-frocking", it is simply a statement that (whomever) chooses not to "stand" with us, and is no longer "clergy"

Granted, it happened in the Old Testament, and in the New Testament leaders were called into question for actions done, but given today's "razzle-dazzle" proliferation of churches, I have to wonder how their priorities are set. You agree? Fine. You are "clergy", since you do so well with ..............(insert "program" here)

You have problems with our policies? Fine. Give us back the robe. You mean nothing. Spiritually, or governmentally.

JAL is certainly not "clergy" to twi anymore, but did they choose him? I think the heart of a man or woman determines the "clergyness" of an individual, and not the "nod" from the elders in an institution.

And if that "nod of affirmation" isn't the deciding factor for the beginning, neither should the lack thereof, be important in the end. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Woops -- I might have just relegated this to the Doctrinal Forum. icon_frown.gif:(--> icon_razz.gif:P-->

In Episcopalian and Catholic churches defrocking removes the right to exercise priestly functions. Their sacramental theology believes that Ordination is a sacrament which confers a permanent character upon the person ordained and that this cannot be removed.

If such a defrocked priest continues to exercise priestly functions such as the eucharist the sacrament itself is valid but the action is completely illicit.

As TWI doesn't view ordination as a sacrament I guess that they cease to view the ordained person as clergy when they leave TWI or are kicked out of it.

I've always thought it was somewhat dishonest of those who were fired/and or left TWI to continue to use their "Rev." title. TWI did "defrock" them. So what's up with continuing to refer to yourself, and let others do so, as Rev? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

In just about any other denomination that I know of, if you quit or are fired, you also leave the title behind.

Ok, if you then join another church, and are working for them, and they choose to ordain you, fine.

Goey

Very well written paper.

I do have a question about your statement. I wonder if you can speak for "the offshoots",just because they came from the background of a clergy laity system does not mean that they still follow that way of thinking. Are you saying that no people in offshoots are functioning or assuming offices of leadership or service that none are appointed to pastor or teach. Thats a pretty broad statement which would imply that you have personally researched each offshoot.

The operation of a gift ministry is something between that person and their Heavenly Father. Biblically the public display and ceremony which seperates clergy and laity is phooey. Either someone is functioning as if they are clergy or they are not. We are to look among ourselves, see and recognize those who labor among us, working their ministrys.

In our culture any 'church' (group of 3 or more) can recognize someone and 'ordain' them as clergy.

If TWI 'ordained' someone then fine, if TWI defrocked someone then fine.

That does not in any way hinder a previously TWI ordained clergy from seeking ordaination from another 'church'. It is merely a piece of paper required by some citys or states, to be able to perform weddings and services.

I have one. Does it make me any more or any less worthy in the eyes of G-d? I dont think so.

If six different home-churches each decided that they wanted to issue you a certificate of ordination, would it make your operation of your ministry any more so?

If these men wish to continue to function as we were ALL taught to do, to focus their lives on worshipping G-d, blessing the beleivers, and performing weddings / funerals / prison visitations; I would have to applaud them.

quote:
The operation of a gift ministry is between that person and their Heavenly Father

Not to be picky, but you might want to reconsider that point. icon_cool.gif

Jesus Christ is head of the church and responsible for the appointing of so called "gift ministries." But I guess if you are of the trinitarian persuasion, it's of no consequence.

I know this isn't the doctrinal forum, but I'm in a mood. icon_razz.gif:P-->

PS see Ephesians icon_smile.gif:)-->

Okay, so if I decide to have a church and I decide to ordain someone with the rights and Privileges -- you know to be able to go into a hospital, perform a wedding -- be recognized by the state (I am not speaking of God acknowledging)how would one do that?

There are off shoots and home fellowships where these people still call themselves "Rev."

(Now, surely we can say that God ordains.... But that opens another arguement.... If TWI was a cult a nutty, goofey, cult promoting its weird sexual beliefs then I QUESTION if God was behind (some) the ordination to begin with....)

So, my question right now is -- so if these men are still practicing as MINISTERS... And TWI defrocked them, who reordains them? Themselves? So, they have to go and register again as a REV. Now, WD saud in Kansas ut us for life... So those ordained in Kansas do not have to worry about anything....

So, suppose I think Raf has a gift ministry and I think he should be ordained and I run a fellowship.... Can I ordain him to the end he can get privellages from the "state"? Or can only an ordained person ordain another person?

DM I have no idea why she waited so long. But I thought about all the girls who are now women and have struggled to regain their footing. Can they go to the STATE of Ohio and present their cases and ask for a defrocking? Or does TWI have to do it?