GreaseSpot Cafe

How were your eyes of understanding enlightened?

Belle

I found this doing some research on Transcendental Meditation on the web. This guy had a bad experience much like ours with a TM group. If you substitue VPW for MMY you get a very good description of the beginning of TWI recovery for some people, including myself. Realizing that the whole foundation of the organization and the teachings were corrupt was the key to the eyes of my understaning being enlightened. How 'bout you?

quote:
Finally someone was able to successfully help me to question the basic unproven assumption underlying my delusions. This assumption, this belief that had been programmed into me since I first walked into an introductory lecture, was the premise that "MMY is a great spiritual teacher with the highest teaching on the planet." After I finally realized that I had absolutely no basis for believing this, and after I further realized that this was even quite unlikely based on what I had gone through, I was finally able to start recovering. Once I realized that MMY was at best an incompetent spiritual teacher the whole set of delusions based on the indoctrination I'd received, and based on his private "spiritual counseling," began to fall like a house of cards.

Go ahead and remotely psychoanalyze my own weaknesses that may also have contributed to this very real personal tragedy if you want, but don't lose sight of MMY's role in this. He's at best an incompetent teacher, and at worst he's also malicious or crazy. He is completely unworthy of any trust.

Source of the quote

I like the last part of his quote so much I have edited it to fit with TWI.

quote:
They were at best incompetent teachers ...
I don't know, Belle. If VPW was so incompetent, why have thousands learned and retained for years a large portion of the teachings? Even today, there's a sizable portion of folks who retain Wierwille's teachings. To me, that's the mark of a good teacher, one to communicates the thoughts and ideas very well. Doesn't mean he's right on everything, but it means the retention and assimilation of the students was at a high level.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

OM,

I agree with your contention about retention. However, some might call it indoctrination more than teaching. He did teach his doctrine, no doubt about it. The format though of exhausting repitition without objective consideration makes it of lower quality at best, imo.

Not picking a fight, just offering a different perspective without regard to whether one agrees with the doctrine or not.

"If VPW was so incompetent, why have thousands learned and retained for years a large portion of the teachings? Even today, there's a sizable portion of folks who retain Wierwille's teachings."

It's called brain washing. I didn't retain PFAL the first time. In fact, the first time was rather confusing and seemed to contradict itself. But afetr sitting thru it a thousdand times I had it memorized. Then in residence we would listen to teaching tapes at HIGH SPEED so we could get a 3 hour lecture in in an hour. Then we'd do it again. When we went out WOW we had to listen to the same tape every day.

These teachings weren't so riveting that I had them down. I had them down because I heard them over and over and over.

Having said that I think VP was more a slick talker than an effective teacher. And LCM was niether.

quote:
I don't know, Belle. If VPW was so incompetent, why have thousands learned and retained for years a large portion of the teachings? Even today, there's a sizable portion of folks who retain Wierwille's teachings. To me, that's the mark of a good teacher, one to communicates the thoughts and ideas very well. Doesn't mean he's right on everything, but it means the retention and assimilation of the students was at a high level.

It says something about the teaching methods employed but absolutley nothing about the content of what was taught. I would say that Wierwille was an "effective" teacher but not necessarily a good one.

It's kinda like the brainwashing of America concerning the evils of cholesterol and saturated fats - and the goodness of hydrogenated vegetable oils and soy. Gain thier trust and present the lies long enough and folks will believe just about anything. Especially since it came from a "Doctor". Very effective.

I pretty much agree with everyone's points here and I'll add that I think VP was a very good ACTOR - not a very good teacher.

Just because people learn to recite memorized lessons does not mean that they've been taught.

Just because people have retained the teachings doesn't mean he was a good teacher, that could be attributed to many other variables, such as what Goey mentioned regarding the status of expert that was thrust in our face enough that we eventually believed it.

quote:
posted by Oldiesman:

I don't know, Belle. If VPW was so incompetent, why have thousands learned and retained for years a large portion of the teachings? Even today, there's a sizable portion of folks who retain Wierwille's teachings.

A person sexually/physically abused as a child, will retain memories for years also.

quote:
He's at best an incompetent teacher, and at worst he's also malicious or crazy. He is completely unworthy of any trust.
The thing is, at this point it doesn't matter whether he was trustworthy or not; what matters is the content of the teachings and whether it makes sense. A lot of PFAL still makes sense to me. Some of it doesn't.

I can't arbitrarily throw out what makes sense, just because Wierwille didn't live up to what he should have as a minister.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

I learned that crafty people can use the Bible to convince good hearted people to be 'tools,' and if the 'tool' balks or protests their use, verses proving the authoritarian stance can be shown, with all indignation and sincerity. 'This is what the Word says...'

It was very enlightening, and costly.