GreaseSpot Cafe

"Back Door" Mortgage Payments

skyrider

quote:
They did not speak the same language as does the military. Though a base with 10,000 men 18-24 years old stationed on it would seem an ideal location for outreach. Of course big bases are huge compared to the little ones that I spent most of my time on.

Military bases would seem like an ideal location for outreach........BUT to the contrary, they are quite the opposite. Twi could NOT gain access and control over the military personnel like they could with civilians. Language barriers, not easily intimidated, restricted areas, specific duties and schedules.......ALL OF THESE hindered twi's outreach and they knew it!!

Twi and other cult-like groups NEED to: 1) CONTROL the in-house lanuage, 2) CONTROL and isolate individual thought, 3) CONTROL and overpower individual schedules and activities, 4) CONTROL and intimidate individual towards re-educating him, 5) CONTROL and manipulate individual to reform him, etc........

Military men like Steve Axtxll and Pxul Nxrcross were really good men. To me, these men were strong mediators between the trunk office and the military personnel. The trunk office did not encroach upon the lives of the military. The U.S. military had far greater duties to perform!!

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Those of us who did run twigs on base found very eager and willing audiences.

I don't discount what you just said for one second......BUT there certainly wasn't the control structure that existed from the trunk office on down. And, from the many branches where I was assigned.....the control and double checking of military men's finances and mortgages was virtually nonexistent.

That was the reason why Paxl Norcrxss was assigned to oversee the military work. It was like a separate department within the Trunk Office framework......very different variables.

vickles:

"Galen,

Maybe thats why you saw a different kind of twi than a lot of us?"

Absolutely.

1. Stay away from Nazi-Corpse [the over-whelming majority of everything we ever heard from a corspe's mouth was too bizarre to be taken seriously anyway],

2. most fellowships 'at-home' include a home-cooked-meal,

3. care for the people your ministering to,

4. and love them.

5. We also focused a lot on doing exhaustive-word-studies as a group in twig. So that everyone had experience and was comfortable doing them. This way when your the only beleiver on a sub you can keep occupied for 105 days underwater.

:-)

skyrider:

"BUT there certainly wasn't the control structure that existed from the trunk office on down. And, from the many branches where I was assigned.....the control and double checking of military men's finances and mortgages was virtually nonexistent."

Everyone 'knows' how poor enlisted men are.

Trunk office? I usually had to deal with limb offices, trying to get PFAL classes and what not, corpse guys giving me greif for "how dare you run all these classes without a corpse-grad to coordinate the class" kind of stuff.

We were always fighting limbs.

"That was the reason why Paxl Norcrxss was assigned to oversee the military work. It was like a separate department within the Trunk Office framework......very different variables."

I was told to talk with Paul Norcross once, when I was "Country-Coordinator-for-americans-stationed-in-Scotland" [that was the title Chris Kent at Gartmore gave me]. We left messages for Norcross a bunch of times, then finally someone told Kent to just give me the class tapes. When he did show up, we still had to strong arm the tapes from him. He tried to lay some wierd junk on us, about why we did not have a solid schedule for fellowship [we were all in rotating shift-work, so we were doing fellowships everynight it just changed as to who was actually home on any given night]. It was funny 4 guys held him against the wall, while another went out to his car and got the tapes. Good thing we were all beleivers, or else he could have gotten hurt. Actually he was probably one of the nicest corpse-grads that we ever did work with.

I have never met Norcross, and I dont thnk we ever did manage to speak with him. Just left a lot of messages.

I never heard of Steve Axtxll. I am sure that they did a lot for the military, I just never heard of him. I was only in TWI for a short time [1978-1997].

Each branch of the military has separate bases, and we usually dont inter-act with guys from other forces much. Were these guys Army? Air Force? Marines? It would account for why I never crossed their paths. We were simply on different bases.

quote:
Originally posted by Galen:

...trying to get PFAL classes and what not, corpse guys giving me greif for "how dare you run all these classes without a corpse-grad to coordinate the class" kind of stuff.

This is another example of different people experiencing "different TWI's". I was "in" from 1978-2001. I saw just as many classes run by non-Corps as by Corps, possibly more, especially in the late seventies, early eighties. I ran one myself in 1982 while living with an 8th Corps grad and with several other Corps grads living nearby. It wasn't until the WayAP class came out and PFAL was canned that they insisted that Corps grads had to coordinate a class. And as far as I knew the military guys at Offut AFB always coordinated well with the Limb.

I dont kow what the 'actual' policy was or when.

In 1985 - 1986, while running classes in California, we had to run to one coutny to get a single session, run it then the next day run it off to another county to swap for the next session, etc. A couple times I had to run into Sacremento to get sessions from the limb office. One year we were under the Modesto branch, the next year we were under the Fresno branch, but each time we would go somewhere to get a tape, we would be 'grilled'.

"Who are you?"

"Why are you running PFAL?"

"Isn't there a corspe who should be doing this?"

It was during one of these classes that someone in the limb office gave me a copy and told me to keep it, use it whenever I needed a copy for running classes and to avoid contact with corpse as they would just get into further arguements over who should be able to hold PFAL, while making it more difficult to run classes.

Later in 1988, we were trying to run a PFAL class in Scotland [okay I was dumb and had left my copy of PFAL buried in a sealed cache back stateside]. And whiel dealing with Gartmore we had trouble getting PFAL to run. So we contacted HQ and were told to contact Paul Norcross, so we tried. and tried. and tried. And had to explain why we were running a PFAL class, and why I was not Corpse, and why we did not have any corpse in our fellowship, and why we had signed up students to sit through the class, and finally someone contacted Kent and told him to loan us a PFAL class. .

Again I do not know exactly when or where policy may or may not have shifted concerning who or what may run a PFAL class. I know what we have had to deal with. I know that the general attitude that I personally had to deal with was one of wanting only corpse to do it. But it was a problem when in fact most twigs did not have corpse in them, so someone else had to run the class.

quote:
In 1985 - 1986, while running classes in California, we had to run to one coutny to get a single session, run it then the next day run it off to another county to swap for the next session, etc. A couple times I had to run into Sacremento to get sessions from the limb office. One year we were under the Modesto branch, the next year we were under the Fresno branch, but each time we would go somewhere to get a tape, we would be 'grilled'.

Galen.....yeah, if twi's bullies would have just left us alone....what the heck were they thinking anyway, trying to micromanage every pfal tape??

Like fighting city hall....trying to get some roads paved to help others.

And now, twi is sitting on MILLION$$$$$$$$ icon_eek.gif