GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that Tune

Raf

8 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Sorry, but not getting it. 

Well,

as to the first song, I should have recommended you keep trying to guess it despite lack of success, since you might get lucky.

As to the second, I'm glad you're not getting all upset about the round, otherwise I'd need to recommend you take a break from the round, and not show up for a few days.

Ok, same artist.  Name either of the previous songs, or this one.

"All the vampires, walkin' through the valley
Move west down Ventura Boulevard.
And all the bad boys are standing in the shadows
And the good girls are home with broken hearts."

6 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Well,

as to the first song, I should have recommended you keep trying to guess it despite lack of success, since you might get lucky.   :wink2: :wink2::wink2:

As to the second, I'm glad you're not getting all upset about the round, otherwise I'd need to recommend you take a break from the round, and not show up for a few days. :wink2::wink2::wink2:

Okay, just a second, :doh:  I needed that.  First song is "Even The Losers".  The next one is "Don't Come Around Here No More".  The current one is "Free Fallin".   First two songs are from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Damn the Torpedoes.  The third song is a song from Tom Petty's solo album Full Moon Fever'.

Man I've got to listen to more Tom Petty.  I can't believe you stumped me like that WordWolf.  Petty is one my favorite artists.  Very good.

Edited by Human without the bean

17 hours ago, Human without the bean said:

Okay, just a second, :doh:  I needed that.  First song is "Even The Losers".  The next one is "Don't Come Around Here No More".  The current one is "Free Fallin".   First two songs are from Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Damn the Torpedoes.  The third song is a song from Tom Petty's solo album Full Moon Fever'.

Man I've got to listen to more Tom Petty.  I can't believe you stumped me like that WordWolf.  Petty is one my favorite artists.  Very good.

Your turn-  all of those were correct.  Once one light bulb went on, all of them went on for you.

Interesting note- when Tom Petty was recording "Even the Losers", he didn't have the chorus written. He didn't tell the band, he just got the recording session going.  When it came time for the chorus, inspiration kicked in at the moment. "Even the losers get lucky sometimes."   He'd been thinking about songs where the little guy managed to get ahead and so on, in general.  The other parts of the song were inspired by his adolescence (specific incidents.) 

It was hard to post lyrics for "Don't Come Around Here No More" without the title, since it appears so often in the song.  If you haven't seen the video, but have read some Lewis Carroll, go watch it. It has a lot of references to "Alice in Wonderland", and Tom Petty himself is dressed as the Mad Hatter. I think the rest of the band played the rest of the people, other than Alice. (She was hired based on her ability to open wide for a big scream, which matched the song and the video.) 

As for "Free Falling",  I think the song is pretty recognizable (and likeable.) I'm glad it was recognized.

There's a brand new dance
But I don't know its name
That people from bad homes
Do again and again
It's big and it's bland
Full of tension and fear
They do it over there
But we don't do it here

We are the goon squad and we're coming to town
Beep-beep, beep-beep

Listen to me, don't listen to me
Talk to me, don't talk to me
Dance with me, don't dance with me
No, beep-beep

On 2/23/2024 at 6:01 PM, Human without the bean said:

There's a brand new dance
But I don't know its name
That people from bad homes
Do again and again
It's big and it's bland
Full of tension and fear
They do it over there
But we don't do it here

We are the goon squad and we're coming to town
Beep-beep, beep-beep

Listen to me, don't listen to me
Talk to me, don't talk to me
Dance with me, don't dance with me
No, beep-beep

Ok.

A lot of the lyrics I won't remember, but "we are the goon squad and we're" clicks, and "talk to me, don't talk to me, dance with me, don't dance with me" also clicks.  

This is definitely David Bowie.

The song, IIRC, is called "Fashion."

IIRC, it's off "Let's Dance," but I may be wrong.

"While the sun is bright
Or in the darkest night
No one knows
She comes and goes

Don't question why she needs to be so free
She'll tell you it's the only way to be
She just can't be chained
To a life where nothing's gained"