GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

wow, that WAS awesome weather. It was only about 85 today; this is supposed to be 100+. Instead of the dog-day doldrums of summer, we ended up with a cool, almost shady day, with a refreshing breeze that's the closest thing I've ever felt in Oklahoma to a sea breeze. Wassup with that?

On another note, did a hard but necessary thing today. Sweet Grampa Tump, farmer, hard worker, generous soul, and cancer survivor, learned about a month ago that the doctors were wrong when they'd sworn that he was cancer-free. Prostate cancer had metastized (sp?) so completely into most of his spine and many other bones that it was too late to do anything but get right with the Lord.

He worked up until the day that his legs stopped walking, which was the day that he learned his cancer had not really gone away, which was the day that he became paralyzed from the waist down. That was in very late June.

This past week, he called his tiny-town minister, and asked to pray for forgiveness for his sins. This was a guy who never met anyone (human or animal) with a need, whom he didn't try to help. He made his peace with God, and then he prayed that God would not let him linger much longer in such intense pain.

We buried Grampa Tump today, in such a tiny little country cemetery, out in the middle of farm fields, that if you were driving the speed limit, you'd likely never even catch a glimpse of the place. He was a true-hearted sweetie-pie. He was only 66 years old.

I almost didn't write about Tump on this site, but I did, because I wanted to say the following:

Men, please, please get a physical exam every single year, and make sure that it includes a prostate check!

If this sweet soul had just done that, he'd probably still be with us today.

Here's a questionnaire to inspire us all to take better care of ourselves; it's a lifespan calculator, based on lifestyle and health habits.

http://www.pacificlife.com/Channel/Educati...on/Calculators/

I love you folks.

niKa