GreaseSpot Cafe

9th Corps

notinKansasanymore

she went on one of the Moab trips... (maybe the first one to Moab?)... I got to go in the first group of 9th that went... I had a blast... I guess in later years (like a lot of things) it got real "heavy"... but we had fun... except I really didn't have a taste for gruel and had to punch a couple of extra holes in my belt...

Well, on the upside, the Sooners blew out Kansas, even after Adrian Peterson left the game with an injury.

On the downside, somebody blew him- or her-self up in the Microbiology building during the game. My husband is in that building several times a week, and I'm pretty darn glad that he was at home listening to the game on the radio with me, rather than checking on his petrie dishes in the Microbiology building.

Police reportedly found and disabled a second explosive device, not far away.

As if there's not enough going on in the world.

Sheeesh.

Don't make me come down there, TommyBoy. :angry:

When we LOSE to TEXAS?

Well, maybe . . . :blink:

and then again, maybe not. ;)

The only things for sure about OU / TX are that:

1) we will get the preceding Friday out of school, :P and

2) one can never tell who will prevail. :o

Emotions run too high for this game to be easily predictable.

But I'll for sure be somewhere to WATCH that one, rather than just hearing it on the radio.

When I first saw Simon Zelotes come on, my first thought was what will this babbler say. I am doing well here down under. I am not in Kansas anymore as I remind myself because this is still a foreign country. I have got an excellent job on aircraft components overhaul and they remarkably use the standard I had in the AF for the last twenty years. The job is only ten minutes from the house, quite different from the two hours round trip a day I had. I likee. I will try to call you one day Simon.

OOOOOH, the pain! Our five-year winning streak against the boys from Austin has been . . . vegemited.

We got shellacked, 45 - 12.

I miss Quentin Griffin! I miss Josh Heupel and Josh White and all the other guys who spoiled us rotten. I don't want our twelve starters back from last year; I wish them well as they get on with their lives, but I'd sure like for Coach Stoops to have been able to borrow them for a couple of hours today!

:wacko: :(

Edited by notinKansasanymore

well good luck with your vegemite myslipper... maybe you could send some to your soonerboys... I think they're in need this morning... would you or sisterniKa like for me to send you the 7 or 8 pages of the Dallas Morning News sports section that were devoted to how the Horns dismantled the Sooners yesterday? ...at long last... a game even Mack Brown couldn't lose and Bob Stoops couldn't win!

We be happy on this side of the Red River... of course, most of the boys on your sooners travelled north across that river to get there anyway!

We'll enjoy it for a year... it was quite the butt kicking... like some administered by the crimson and cream in recent times... (and don't try to offer the "Adrian didn't play" excuse... he wouldn't have changed the outcome... ahh... sweet victory!

(we now end the gloating and return you to our regularly scheduled tread)

Gotta love the internet. I just found the information below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is Vegemite?

Vegemite is considered as much a part of Australia's heritage as kangaroos and the Holden cars. It is actually an Australian obsession that has become a unique and loved symbol of the Australian nation.

A Vegemite sandwich to an Australian kid is the equivalent of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich to an American kid - but the taste is QUITE different!

Vegemite is one of several yeast extract spreads sold in Australia. It is made from leftover brewers' yeast extract (a by-product of beer manufacture) and various vegetable and spice additives. It is very dark reddish-brown, almost black, in color, and one of the richest sources known of Vitamin B. It's thick like peanut butter, it's very salty, and it tastes like - well let's just say that it is an acquired taste!

Australian children are brought up on Vegemite from the time they're babies. It is said that Australians are known to travel all over the world with at least one small jar of Vegemite in their luggage, for fear that they will not be able to find it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

History of Vegemite

In 1922, Fred Walker (1884-1935) of Melbourne, Australia decided to try to make a special "yeast extract" that would be as delicious as it was nourishing for his Fred Walker Cheese Company to sell. The chief scientist in the company Fred owned was Dr. Cyril P. Callister, and it was Dr. Callister who invented the first Vegemite spread. He used brewer's yeast and blended the yeast extract with ingredients like celery, onion, salt, and a few secret ingredients to make this paste. In 1912, a national competition and a prize of 50 pounds was offered to the winner or winners to name the new product.. The name ‘Vegemite’ was finally chosen from the entries by Fred’s daughter Sheilah .

With its unusual and unique flavor, Vegemite was not an immediate success and sales were slow. In 1928 Vegemite was renamed and registered as Parwill in an attempt to boost its sales and to attract customers of the rival spread Marmite (an English yeast spread that dominated the Australian market sinc 1910). "If Marmite...then Parwill" was the rationale behind Walker's strategy to carve a niche in the market for his spread. The name Parwill and Walker's play on words didn't catch on. It was only sold as Parwill for a short time in Queensland. The name was withdrawn in 1935, and the original name was reinstated.

Earlier, in 1925, Walker had arranged with the Chicago, Illinois firm of James L. Kraft to make processed cheese in Australia. A company called the Kraft Walker Cheese Co. was established alongside Fred Walker and Co. In 1935, Walker used the success of his processed cheese to launch a new campaign to revive Vegemite. The company launched 2-year coupon redemption scheme whereby a jar of Vegemite was given away with every purchase of other products in the Fred Walker Cheese Company. Australians tried the product and loved it. Vegemite was well and truly on the road to success.

Two years later, the company held a poetry competition and once again brought Vegemite into the national spotlight. This time its success the prizes were imported American Pontiac cars. Entries flooded in and sales multiplied.

In 1935, the recipe and manufacturing methods was sold to Kraft Foods and has been wholly owned and made by American companies. In 1939 Vegemite received endorsement from the British Medical Association which allowed doctors to recommend it as a Vitamin B-rich, nutritionally balanced food for patients.

In World War II, soldiers, sailors, and the civilian population of Australia all had Vegemite included in their rations. Soldiers’ Vegemite came in three sizes: seven-pound tins for the platoon, eight-ounce tins for soldiers on the go, and half-ounce rations for behind enemy lines. This war-time demand meant that civilian were limited. Hence, advertisements were run to explain the situation: “Vegemite fights with the men up north! If you are one of those who don’t need Vegemite medicinally, then thousands of invalids are asking you to deny yourself of it for the time being.”

The main change to the original recipe in recent years has been to reduce the salt content from 10% to 8%.

Did You Know?

22.7 million jars of Vegemite are manufactured in Australia every year - that's 235 jars per minute.

30 jars are sold in Australia for every one exported.

Vegemite is in nine out of ten pantries in Australia.

The Happy Little Vegemite Song

We are happy little Vegemites as bright as bright can be,

We all enjoy our Vegemite for breakfast, lunch and tea,

Our mummy says we're growing stronger every single week,

Because we love our Vegemite,

We all adore our Vegemite,

It puts a rose in every cheek!

How To Eat Vegemite

Using your favorite bread, some butter or margarine, and of course, Vegemite.

Spread butter on a piece of toast or bread.

Cover very thinly with Vegemite (for the optimum Vegemite sandwich you only need a dab). Dip your knife in the Vegemite, and scrape up just a bit (it will mix right in with the butter and spread easily). Some people like to "marble" the Vegemite into the butter.

Eat it open-faced and enjoy!

:P :wacko:

What DO you mean, that my little buddy A.P. wouldn't have changed the outcome? He was a Heisman finalist as a true Freshman last year!!!

We'll never know, though. It might not have been quite as sound a butt-kicking.

His nickname is "A.D.," because he can play All Day and not get tired. He's also a very sweet guy. I predict that this will be his last OU / TX game; if that kid doesn't go pro next year, he's nuts.

Just my opinion.

By the way, there was a picture of the Vegemite jar on that other website, but I couldn't figure out how to transfer it to this one. Perhaps one of you computer types could favor us with a graven image . . ..

Hey, by the way: Are there any Lurkers reading this? If so, HI! Have a great day! :)

This thread is a great example of how life, with all of its struggles, triumphs, and silly things, goes on quite happily after TWI. Life is fun!!!

Edited by notinKansasanymore