GreaseSpot Cafe

Did VPW plagiarize JCING?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I wrote that because I've seen plagiarism denied most often by those who have no idea what plagiarism is, then get criticized (indirectly) for believing that Wierwille was nothing but a plagiarist, which I have never, ever said. I think Wierwille wrote plenty that was not plagiarism, and he wrote some that was. He lifted ideas from others, but by itself, that's not plagiarism. Plagiarism is reserved for when he was so lazy he didn't even muster the energy to hide the fact that he was lifting someone else's work without credit.

In the end, the question for us is "so what?" And the answer varies according to the value you place on the CONTENT. Plagiarism does not affect the content of the plagiarized material. It only reflects on the integrity of the writer.

Def,

Your question is valid, and as someone who has criticized the plagiarism, I appreciate the opportunity to make some points a bit more clear (if they were not already).

I can't think of an example. A journalist who reads an article in one newspaper and "cribs" the idea for his own has not done anything wrong, provided that he does his own research, verifies the contents, writes in his own words, etc. In a case like that, it's only plagiarism if the reporter actually copies all or even part of the other article.

Example: I wrote about a man who killed a cop. I learned that the killer was once head of a minor political organization in Texas. I wrote about it. The following day, the Miami Herald wrote an article about the suspect and included the bit about the political organization, which was missing from their previous day's article. There's no question at all that they lifted the idea from my article. But it wasn't plagiarism. They called Texas, verified the fact, got their own quotes, and wrote about it in their own words. That's not only "not wrong," it's absolutely expected.

Two writers of Biblical issues discussing the same subject will write similar things. The CES book "One God and One Lord" was undeniably and irrefutably inspired by JCING and probably lifted many themes, but as a research work it was independent, and relied on sources well beyond Wierwille to make its case (in fact, if I recall correctly, JCING isn't even in the bibliography, which I consider a failing on the authors' part). Point is, One God and One Lord is not plagiarism, nor is the Herald's decision to verify what was in my article.

Scholars have been reprimanded publicly for lifting as little as one line without attribution (Doris Kearns Goodwin, for example). Wierwille did far more than that. But when we think about plagiarism, we should not be thinking along the lines of "Bullinger wrote about four crucified and Wierwille stole that from him." We should be thinking, rather, "Bullinger wrote ABDFGTZ and Wierwille wrote ABDFGTZ without noting that he was quoting Bullinger."

As I said, Wierwille wrote plenty that was not plagiarism. He also wrote plenty that was. In terms of the content of what's written, it makes no difference to me. In terms of Wierwille's integrity, I put it, in my mind, where I think it belongs.

I've never contended with anyone who doesn't care that Wierwille resorted to plagiarism. I only contend with those who deny it. It's not deniable.

• 1 year later...