GreaseSpot Cafe

Biblical Universalism

def59

The Kingdom of God has been prophecied as the 1000 year millenial kingdom. Plenty of people will disqualify themselves from this including many religious leaders who have bullied God's people over the years. Only the servants of Christ from the heart who have exhibited the fruit of the spirit of God will be part of this. There has already been many murders committed in the name of Christianity by false rulers. The famous and intellectually brilliant Galileo was even burned at the stake in the name of Christianity and he was a believer in Christ. Many other believers in Christ have also been murdered in the name of Christianity often by burning them at the stake. As we can read in the scriptures this is something that has never entered into the heart of God.

Jer 32:35

35 And they built the high places of Baal which are in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire to Molech, which I did not command them, nor did it come into My mind that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin.'

NKJV

Yet it is the false Christian rulers that have committed this act over the centuries and that are the source of the preaching of this in its spiritual judgement equivalent even today.

However, in the final new heaven and earth all of mankind will be judged or will have been previously judged by the blood of Christ. Ultimately, the Kingdom of God will rule the earth with no opposition whatsoever as even death will be destroyed. Then God will truly be all in all. This is the kingdom that I see as including all of mankind.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Originally posted by Mark Sanguinetti:

The famous and intellectually brilliant Galileo was even burned at the stake in the name of Christianity and he was a believer in Christ.

Galileo was not burned at the stake or executed.

Galileo was condemned of heresy by the Roman Catholic church. For this the Roman church often burned people at the stake. Maybe Galileo, as Cynic says, escaped this threat. However, other believers in Christ were murdered for their faith in Christ in the name of so called Christianity. Some of these I understand were burned at the stake. This was done during the middle ages by religious rulers in the name of Christianity.

Here are two biographical links for Galileo:

http://www-groups.dcs.st-and.ac.uk/~histor...ns/Galileo.html

http://www.lucidcafe.com/library/96feb/galileo.html

Thanks for posting Cynic.

Shortly after publication of Dialogue Concerning the Two Chief Systems of the World - Ptolemaic and Copernican the Inquisition banned its sale and ordered Galileo to appear in Rome before them. Illness prevented him from travelling to Rome until 1633. Galileo's accusation at the trial which followed was that he had breached the conditions laid down by the Inquisition in 1616. However a different version of this decision was produced at the trial rather than the one Galileo had been given at the time. The truth of the Copernican theory was not an issue therefore; it was taken as a fact at the trial that this theory was false. This was logical, of course, since the judgement of 1616 had declared it totally false.

Found guilty, Galileo was condemned to lifelong imprisonment, but the sentence was carried out somewhat sympathetically and it amounted to house arrest rather than a prison sentence. He was able to live first with the Archbishop of Siena, then later to return to his home in Arcetri, near Florence, but had to spend the rest of his life watched over by officers from the Inquisition.

After Galileo had completed work on the Discourses it was smuggled out of Italy, and taken to Leyden in Holland where it was published. It was his most rigorous mathematical work which treated problems on impetus, moments, and centres of gravity. Much of this work went back to the unpublished ideas in De Motu from around 1590 and the improvements which he had worked out during 1602-1604.

It was a sad end for so great a man to die condemned of heresy. His will indicated that he wished to be buried beside his father in the family tomb in the Basilica of Santa Croce but his relatives feared, quite rightly, that this would provoke opposition from the Church. His body was concealed and only placed in a fine tomb in the church in 1737 by the civil authorities against the wishes of many in the Church. On 31 October 1992, 350 years after Galileo's death, Pope John Paul II gave an address on behalf of the Catholic Church in which he admitted that errors had been made by the theological advisors in the case of Galileo. He declared the Galileo case closed, but he did not admit that the Church was wrong to convict Galileo on a charge of heresy because of his belief that the Earth rotates round the sun.

So even JP2 confirmed the point that Galileo was a heretic for his beleif that the Earth rotates around the Sun, and that he deserved to die imprisoned as a heretic.

:-)

Mark Sanguinetti:

"Galen, I have been meaning to ask you. Is that a photo of you with the big smile and long black beard?"

Yes, it was. The Proportions of the Height ahd Width got messed-up in the process of shrinking it down small enough so this website would handle it.

I recently trimmed it to rid split-ends, Bonnie was a little upset as I took off over 4 inches. It is now about seven inches as measured from my chin.

I put it in a scrunchie to hold it in place when I ride my bike, or else it gets in my eyes.

Thanks Galen. What is most important is that your gal Bonnie likes your beard. I just hope that it does not scratch her when it comes to kissing time.

I like your photo too. It makes you look like a rugged mountain man. I am just wondering if the photo was taken before or after you traveled to town for provisions?

quote:
Mark Sanguinetti:

"Galen, I have been meaning to ask you. Is that a photo of you with the big smile and long black beard?"

Yes, it was. The Proportions of the Height ahd Width got messed-up in the process of shrinking it down small enough so this website would handle it.

I recently trimmed it to rid split-ends, Bonnie was a little upset as I took off over 4 inches. It is now about seven inches as measured from my chin.

I put it in a scrunchie to hold it in place when I ride my bike, or else it gets in my eyes.

I'll be damned ZZ! What kinda bike you ride?

Mark Sanguinetti:

"Thanks Galen. What is most important is that your gal Bonnie likes your beard. I just hope that it does not scratch her when it comes to kissing time."

There does exist a common myth, that a beard would/should/or even could scratch [beyond it's 'stubble' phase].

Does your head-hair scratch? Or your arm-hairs? What is there about facial hair that makes people think it should scratch?

When you have recently shaved, but then let it grow out just a little bit, that stubble is stiff and does stratch. Just like a woman's legs 3 days after she last shaved them.

A woman who lets her leg hairs grow for a few weeks though, no longer has rough stubble, the hairs relax as they get longer.

I shampoo my beard and use conditioner, sometimes a de-tangler, sometimes a softener.

On occasion I do hear women say some comment about my beard and the possibility of it being 'scratchy'. I always challenge them to touch it and if they find it to be soft they owe me a kiss. [it has gotten me kissed a few times over the years].

Bonnie likes my beard as well. I had a full-beard when we courted, and our wedding pictures show a full-beard. When the Navy finally said that I had to shave while in-port, our eldest son did not recognize me, the first time he saw me without a beard. Daniel was 3, he was mad that some other man was kissing his mother.

"I like your photo too. It makes you look like a rugged mountain man. I am just wondering if the photo was taken before or after you traveled to town for provisions?"

LOL

Thank you.

Here in Connecticut, I stand out a bit. When I go travel up to Maine [was up there last week] I fit in totaly.

Mark Sanguinetti:

"Thanks for the information on beards Galen. I am wondering if Song thinks that your beard makes you look like a rocker. He likes that, but wants to know if you have ever played with ZZ Top or been on one of their videos?"

LOL

Sometimes people do yell "Hey ZZ-Top!" When I drive by them.

They only videos of theirs that I recall, had young girls with really looong legs, and short short hot pants.

Rev. 20:11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. 12And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what he had done. 14Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

Doesn't appear anyone is getting out of this lake.

quote:
Originally posted by CM:

And when it's you watching you in that lake.

Tell me about it.

Cya on the other side of hell.

ying/yang chitti chitti bang bang

Quoi?

Are you saying you've already been thrown in the lake of fire, judged and purified?

Peace

JerryB

Didn't say a word about me and what i've been through.

You assume when no assumptions should be made.

You judge when it's not in your hands to do the judging.

Sooner or later, twice we must die.

I "assume" that the lake of fire referred to in Revelation is not something that exists in this age. I assume that you are interpreting as subjective things that most readers interpret as objective. Granted there is much in Revelation that stymies scholars, but I don't agree with the concept that the return of Christ and the judgements spoken of in I Corinthians 15 and Revelations 21 are subjective realities that people experience in their own lifetime.

As I recall you have questioned whether I am born again on these same threads, so the assumptions and premuptions go both ways.

Peace

JerryB

quote:
but I don't agree with the concept that the return of Christ and the judgements spoken of in I Corinthians 15 and Revelations 21 are subjective realities that people experience in their own lifetime.

Hi, Jerry.

Do you think they can be both subjective and objective?

Both inner and outer meanings to the scriptures?

Hi Todd,

Yes, I do think that there can be subjective and objective truths in the Scriptures. But I don't think it is wise to interpret such things as the return of Christ and the judgements to come as purely subjective.

The problem I have with interpreting the lake of fire of Rev 20:15 as something we can experience now is the sequence of events that is presented. Before any of the resurrected dead are cast into the lake of fire death and hell are cast in.

To me that indicates the final victory over death of which Paul wrote in I Corinthians 15:54 & 55. It seems pretty clear to me that the final victory over death has not yet occurred. Until that happens, no one can say, imho, that they have been cast into the lake of fire.

You may be purged by God, a process of which Jesus spoke (John 15:2), but, as unpleasant a process as this may be, I wouldn't equate it with being cast into the hellfire.

Peace

JerryB

quote:
subjective and objective

I'm not smart enough to know much

difference between the two.

Regardless-both are real.

quote:
Both inner and outer meanings to the scriptures

That I'm getting a handle on a little bit.

Thanks for your input sirg.

quote:
I "assume" that the lake of fire referred to in Revelation is not something that exists in this age.

And there we have it. A Subjective and Objective look at it.

As I understand the terms. And to give it a chance to be seen that

it might be possible for it to happen in this "age" and the next.

As if there is a difference between those two even.

Just being open to the possibilities gives a wider base

of exploration into what could be.

I'm not trying to overthrow anyone's beliefs but rather build upon them. Surely you can relate to this Jb. As we know, today we realize more than yesterday if we stay open enough to learn on any subject.

Inner and outer meanings-a two edged sword.

Please take my prior posts as to where I was then compared to where I am now. And later posts could come from an even better understanding of it all. And I'll do the same for you.

peace to you too