GreaseSpot Cafe

Those Fun-Lovin' NC Baptists

Pirate1974

It's great to see another North Carolina Baptist church in the news.

First we have the East Waynesville Baptist Church booting out members for not supporting George W. and now there's this sign outside the Danieltown Baptist Church near Forest City:

news01.jpg

Quoting the Reverend Creighton Lovelace (!!!):

"I believe that it is a statement supporting the word of God and that it (the Bible) is above all and that any other religious book that does not teach Christ as savior and lord as the 66 books of the Bible teaches it, is wrong. I knew that whenever we decided to put that sign up that there would be people who wouldn't agree with it, and there would be some that would, and so we just have to stand up for what's right."

Right on, Rev. Lovelace. Flush away.

Oh, by the way, the good reverend also circulated a petition in 2001 proposing a constitutional amendment that would allow North Carolina to secede from the United States. It seems he was concerned that the federal government would allow homosexual unions and abolish churches and the only way to preserve our Christian heritage would be as a separate country. Yeah, that worked real well last time it was tried.

Last year Reverend Lovelace was one of the sponsors of a resolution at the Baptist State Convention calling on members to pull their kids out of public schools so they wouldn't be corrupted by associating with "behavioral deviants"(homosexuals.)

Hallelujah.

quote:
So we penalize people for moral guidance today? No. This is a freedom of speech issue and if Marilyn can do it, so can anyone

Sure they can , but don't expect many people to look to them for moral guidance if they start acting like Marilyn Manson.

quote:
Sure they can , but don't expect many people to look to them for moral guidance if they start acting like Marilyn Manson.

Actually, I think MMs fans DO get moral guidance from MM. They may not think of it in those terms but it's the same thing isn't it? I don't think NC Baptists should be banned from the "moral guidance hall of fame" just because of one stray thought. I know that it's true that MM advertizes himself as entertainment whereas NC Baptists advertize themselves as moral guidance and that is a technical difference, but from a freedom of speech perspective, there IS a double standard being used here.

quote:
quote:

Actually, I think MMs fans DO get moral guidance from MM. They may not think of it in those terms but it's the same thing isn't it? I don't think NC Baptists should be banned from the "moral guidance hall of fame" just because of one stray thought. I know that it's true that MM advertizes himself as entertainment whereas NC Baptists advertize themselves as moral guidance and that is a technical difference, but from a freedom of speech perspective, there IS a double standard being used here

No not really, Linda Z said what i was trying to say but better than me.

Look at it this way, people get po'd at Marilyn Manson all the time, why shouldn't they be allowed to get po'd at the this church?

That would be a double standard.

Nobody is banning them from the 'moral guidance hall of fame' but they aren't in any danger of being admitted on their own merits anytime soon either

I'm sure they are people in different groups--the ones who dislike Rev Lovelaces's sign, and those that dislike MM. Is that a surprise?

I see polarization everywhere I go. Liberals/Conservatives, religious right/ religious left

Then there are some people who don't have much use for either, Lovelace or MM.

And some people believe no one's religious beliefs or sacred texts should be trashed.

It's a big wide world.

Just because someone thinks Lovelace is wacked doesn't mean they approve of MM.

Honestly, I thought MM's career was in a downslide. Haven't heard of him for ages until you brought him up.

I dont know much of anything about Manson, other than that he/she is some sort of caricatured cartoon character talentless rock doper who goes out of his way (apparently)to push buttons and to tick people off.

He's more like an 2nd rate oldfashioned side show act than a purported purveyor of divine truth which the Bapts. claim to be.

To me on both counts it is more like annoying stupidity for self promotion equal on both sides than something I would bother getting up in arms about.

quote:
Originally posted by johniam:

from a freedom of speech perspective, there IS a double standard being used here.

If you think so, then you don't have a clue what constitutionally protected freedom of speech means.

Nobody has prohibited either of your two cases that you say indicate a double standard, so free speech isn't even an issue. If you were to say that most people hold churches to different standards of approval than they do Marilyn Manson, then you would be correct, but societal approval of the content of speech has nothing to do with whether or not it is free. Disapproval does not equal abridgement. In most cases, they're not even similar.

You're using the same nonsensical argument that anti-war people used when they were criticised for some of the things they said.

quote:

Nobody has prohibited either of your two cases that you say indicate a double standard, so free speech isn't even an issue.

In other words, no laws have been passed, but the left biased media has had a field day with the NC Baptist marquis thinking they are "making a difference" which they think will LEAD to laws being passed.

In Grand Rapids, MI, where I lived at the time of the Columbine massacre, MM did a show the next night, and dozens of protesters stood outside the location of the show screaming at concertgoers telling them they would go to hell (one guy had a 12' tall wooden cross tethered to his back side), also thinking they were "making a difference". Not long after this, certain influential people in the city tried to get a law passed that would forbid anyone under 18 from attending any shows these people thought would be "unsuitable for western MI youth". Amway founder Jay Van Andel himself, after whom the building the MM show was held at is named, nixed that one in a hurry claiming that there was no possible way to enforce this proposed law.

quote:

but societal approval of the content of speech has nothing to do with whether or not it is free.

Not directly, but the above examples show that some people who try to "make a difference" succeed. If you can't see that there is an obvious double standard in some peoples' thinking (people who might try to "make a difference") then you must be in the middle of it.

In fact, I'll go further. At the place I worked in GR from '94-'00 (roughly 125 employees) there were several Christians in the place. Everybody got along and seemed to be focussed on the work, but one day the plant mgr said that no one could wear a T shirt with any religious messages on it.

We figured some wacko called the ACLU, who, in turn contacted the company with a threatening religious message of their own, like "thou shalt not think about God or encourage anybody else to think about God". But what really got us going was one guy wore a T shirt that said "Marilyn Manson: Antichrist superstar!" Religious message: yes or no?