GreaseSpot Cafe

Window XP Service Pack 2

igotout

Has anyone installed Service Pack 2 and all the other associated downloads from Windows Updates yet?

I am just beginning to do this on my computers. On two so far (XP Pro)...... I can't swear to it yet, but they seem slower in some ways such as restarting and shutting down and with some programs.

I hope not. It is a huge download, I think it was 75 MB or something like that. I disabled a few of its "features" which I do not need. I kinda like its pop-up blocker, though.

If it causes sluggishness I am sure we will eventually hear all about it all over the place.

I don't know. Any other experiences out there yet?

I've heard a number of people say they

uninstalled it after installing.

In fact, since installing it, restarting,

then uninstalling it will install all the

hotfixes and things while taking back out all

the bs that caused problems on installation,

some people are recommending doing that very thing.

Me, I haven't decided.

If you don't here from me for about a week,

you'll know I installed it and had some problems

uninstalling it.... icon_smile.gif:)-->

I downloaded SP2 and in my case it was 98 megs, something I could never have contemplated if I did not now have DSL (Broadband).

I have not noticed any problems with it nor any slowing down.

I cannot say that I have noticed improvements on the other hand, but can only assume that it ensures the system has less chance of problems than before.

I noticed no performance differences at all the first time. I recently got a new motherboard and CPU, so I had the opportunity to install SP2 on a fresh XP install. I have never seen XP run so well or so smoothly before - once you shut up the security center if you're running things it doesn't recognize. I think it truly is an improvement in this case.

My brother's computer was running like hell when he installed SP2 but he's done a million things to his machine (and had a zillion spyware and trojan attacks) and his registry had probably been reduced to semi-digested alphabet soup. I convinced him to do a clean install rather than spend the next ten years trying to fix his problems and his machine is purring beautifully. His and my machines are now the best-running ones I'm personally acquainted with now so I very highly recommend SP2 - especially for people who don't have the desire to become security experts just to surf the internet and manage their checkbooks.

I suspect it depends on the abuse your OS has received and if a clean install is not out of the question that is probably the best way of ensuring trouble-free operation with SP2. I always set up machines so everything a person will want to keep goes to a separate partition because a clean install is so often the quickest and most effective way of solving so many problems: "You ran an unknown program you downloaded off Kazaa and your computer's barfing pea soup at you? No, I'm not coming over to fix it. Re-install and stop doing stupid things." That is so often a 2 hour project as opposed to days of sifting through all the accumulated muck to apply a band-aid.

In short, rather than uninstalling it I would try it on a fresh install if possible.

quote:
I always set up machines so everything a person will want to keep goes to a separate partition because a clean install is so often the quickest and most effective way of solving so many problems:

Jason, can you say more about that. I like to set up a C: for Windows and applications and a D: for documents, data and files like that. Sometimes and E: or even F: for keeping data from one company separate from the rest.

I'd actually like a distinct partition for applications that was not the same as the windows partition. That would make it easier to keep preference settings etc. But some applications insist on being on the C: drive or others install some of their dlls to the windows drive that I haven't bothered.

How do you do it?

My 3 I think it is best to allow programs to install where they are designed to such as in C:Program files instead of on a separate partition.

For example, install Microsoft Word where it wants to go by default. But save all Word documents on a separate partition or even another hard drive.

I am not sure, but I think if you do a clean XP install as described in the great advice Jason gave, you are going to have to install all your programs again anyway. But the results will be a smoother running machine. I am soon going to be doing that very thing on an older computer I have, just to get the cobwebs out.

I might add, that is a good time to add a better and faster hard drive. Also more memory or a better soundcard or optical drive. Do all those hardware changes then do a fresh install.

Oops, sorry to mislead you, My3Cents. I also install programs and save all my Windows settings, favorites, templates and what have you to a folder in the D drive. You can also set the "documents and settings" folder on the D drive, which is where a lot of programs stash their settings and whatnots.

However, some programs put hooks in the registry and operating system and any methods I know of completely saving them would be more complicated than reinstalling - to MY knowledge; I'm sure someone with more training has a better answer.

It just occured to me that the programs I'm talking about here seem to be the ones most paranoid about piracy and activation so I don't know any way around that other than complete backups.

As it is, with the way I set things up (programs and all settings on the D drive; all other files on E or F) I can reinstall the whole OS and the few programs (Such as MS Office) that need reinstalling in two or three hours. Sometimes fixing a disaster or trying to get the latest service pack working will take at least twice as long and you still have problems.

I set up everyone's computers that way and teach them to save their pictures and music and other files to a storage partition (Move "my documents" to that partition and the battle's mostly won, even for the least experienced). I never spend more than an hour or two fixing the most horrible problems now... so far.

Since this started with discussing SP2, I always give people a disc with SP2, a free firewall such as ZoneAlarm or Sygate that's easy to use and install and a free antivirus program (Avast is one that's easy for a beginner - I prefer AVG but get complaints that it's "too hard to use").

I instruct them (if the need ever arises to reinstall) to install SP2 and the firewall before connecting to the internet. Saves a lot of pain and suffering in the long run and I recommend keeping such a disc around. It's over 200 megs for the complete download but it takes maybe 20 minutes to install from a disc rather than waiting for a 90 meg download and getting hit with Blaster and other goodies while waiting.

Well, it can be done, Jason but for the everyday user it might be problematic. The main points we agree on are:

Clean install is good

Partitioning is good

And it appears that SP 2 is good when installed clean with a clean XP install. I am not certain about installing SP2 an older computer like the one I am using which is couple years old already. By now this one needs "cobwebs" removed from registry due to all my experiments and tweaks. Heck, I might just pop in another motherboard and power supply as well, they are so cheap these days.

The general consensus among the computer types is that it is best

when installing on a new computer or the like.

I cleaned everything up I could think of cleaning up, including

performing a scandisk.

I made a restore point, crossed my fingers, and installed SP2.

(I did the praying before making my preparations, which is probably

why I did the scandisk.)

So far, after the first tweaking of the control center, it seems

to not be causing problems.

Of course, I told it to do as little as possible, and I've never

broken into my registry or anything.

Honestly, if I was setting up a new computer, it would be a very

good idea to install SP2 before connecting to the internet the

first time.

This would install all the hotfixes, including all of Service Pack

1, and set up the internal firewall.

As soon as I got online, however, I'd start with a real firewall

and antivirus (unless I installed one of each from disk), and

then set that up and turn off the Windows firewall.

To me, it just buys time so you can get a real firewall.

I'd operate under the assumption it didn't stop much, and act

accordingly (act as if I have to find whatever made it in as soon

as I connected to the net.)

I'm running an AMD AthlonXP 1800+ 1.54 GHz 512 MB of RAM and I installed SP2 and hate it! My computer is soooooo slow....but that could be because I'm only at 1.54 GHz...so maybe I notice it more.

I watched it install itself...and it did set its own restore point....

I have NAV, infact I have Norton Internet Security, and a spyware detect and destroy program. Do you think I really need this SP2 thinggie?

All suggestions will be welcomed, especially if I can understand you....I'm better than the average bear in terms of computer knowledge, but not as smart as y'all!

My laptop is about six months old now (with McAfee, AdAware and Spybot)... I recently did the SP2 download and install and have had no problems... everything seems to run just fine (no noticable slowing) although I do 'allow' certain websites to have pop ups...

It seems that just prior to installing SP2 I was getting bombarded with spyware at a greater pace than usual... but that was probably a coincidence... I've not had any problems since... but maybe I'm just lucky...

quote:
Originally posted by krysilis:

I'm running an AMD AthlonXP 1800+ 1.54 GHz 512 MB of RAM and I installed SP2 and hate it! My computer is soooooo slow....but that could be because I'm only at 1.54 GHz...so maybe I notice it more.

I watched it install itself...and it did set its own restore point....

I have NAV, infact I have Norton Internet Security, and a spyware detect and destroy program. Do you think I really need this SP2 thinggie?

All suggestions will be welcomed, especially if I can understand you....I'm better than the average bear in terms of computer knowledge, but not as smart as y'all!

Honestly,

You can uninstall it (leaving the hotfixes intact) IF:

A) you have a resident antivirus program, updated weekly or

more often (I say DAILY)

B) you have the latest build of AdAware AND Spybot S & D,

and have them updated weekly or more often (I say DAILY)

C) you went to http://www.grc.com and ran

"Unplug 'n Pray", "Shoot the Messenger", "DCOMMbobulator"

and anything else that looked useful

D) you have something else you're using for a popup blocker

E) you have a decent (nonWindows/microsoft) firewall in use.

Me, I'm leaving it in place for now, but if it gives me

trouble, or I need the space, Im chucking it.

Wordwolf, I turned off my security center by stopping the service and putting in manual mode.

It seems there is a problem with the alerts continuing to alert you even after you tell them not to.

Plus I am already amply covered as your post states and do not need double protection. It is all gone.

I, too, believe that SP 2 is causing sluggishness in certain things. I can't put my finger on it yet but I have noticed a difference. I am sure we will hear all about it eventually. But I am talking about an existing system, not a clean install or new computer that comes with SP 2.