GreaseSpot Cafe

King Arthur

I went to see "King Arthur" last night, and found the movie highly enjoyable.

If a person goes looking for Disney's "Sword in the Stone" or Broadway's "Camelot", he'll be disappointed. But if he goes looking for a rip-roaring adventure yarn, "King Arthur" ought to meet his expectations.

The writing reminded me of Robert E. Howard, and the visuals looked like Angus MacBride. Lancelot wasn't the only "Horatio Hornblower" alumnus I recognized in the cast.

The settings and the sound track reminded me of "The Lord of the Rings". There were several aspects of the film that reminded me of Eisenstein's "Alexander Nevsky".

The depiction of the Church was interesting. They squeezed the Inquisition back into the Dark Age, but the Church hierarchy HAD become pretty venal by that time. The film makers had the good taste to make Arthur a Pelagian heretic.

All-in-all, a good movie, IMHO.

Love,

Steve

Oh Strange One -

Robert E. Howard is best known as the author of the Conan the Barbarian stories from the golden age of pulp magazines. He wrote some stories about late Romans fighting the Picts in northern Britain.

Angus MacBride does illustrations for the Osprey series of military reference books. He bases his reconstructions on what's known from the sources and archaelogical remains, but he manages to breathe a lot of life as well into his illustrations. His painting style is somewhat reminiscent of the Brandywine tradition (Howard Pyle, N.C. Wyeth, etc.).

The fellow who played Lancelot also played Horatio Hornblower. One of the knights' stalwart underlings, I think they called him "Giles", was also one of Hornblower's stalwart underlings in the sea-stories.

The film makers incorporated vast panoramas and a wide variety of romantic landscapes, just as Peter Jackson did in "The Lord of the Rings". The sound track also seemed to be influenced by LotR. Those aren't bad things. They contributed to my enjoyment.

There is a "battle on the ice" in "King Arthur", that plays almost as an homage to Eisentstein's "battle on the ice" in "Alexander Nevsky". Also, some aspects of the filming of the battle of Badon Hill reminded me of Eisenstein. Eisenstein didn't have hand-held cameras though.

The Inquisition arose in the 13th century, not primarily to convert pagans, but to persecute those the Church considered heretics, specifically the Cathars. "King Arthur" implies that the Church was using techniques of the Inquisition to convert pagans in the 5th century.

Augustine, like Calvin in later centuries, did not hold man's free-will in high regard. Since freedom is an important (and multi-faceted) theme in "King Arthur", the film makers explicitly make Arthur a Pelagian. I think that was cool, as well as theologically perceptive of them.

Two-thumbs up for the movie! Like I said before, it's a good rip-roaring adventure yarn, with characters of more than two dimensions.

If you liked "Pirates", "Count" and "Braveheart", you ought to enjoy "King Arthur".

Love,

Steve

Wait! I've got that one! (with the help of Zixar's www.dictionary.com)

here's the definition: The theological doctrine propounded by Pelagius, a British monk, and condemned as heresy by the Roman Catholic Church in A.D. 416. It denied original sin and affirmed the ability of humans to be righteous by the exercise of free will.

(but I still don't know what it means)

Orthodox doctrine said that man was basically evil, fallen, sinful in nature. Pelagius taught that man was basically good, that evil was a choice that people made. This was characteristic of the Christian churches in the Celtic regions who saw body and spirit as one and not separate.

I saw it today. It was very enjoyable. I love movies portraying that time period and how the characters fight for their beliefs. It was really interesting how the church was portrayed, and how the characters who supported it were sorely disappointed in the end.

I am a dummy when it comes to history though. I've seen many different story lines with these characters, Arthur, Guenevere, Lancelot, Gilahad, and whoever else was a part of the Night of the Roundtable. Aren't they fictional?

Edited by NottaWayfer

The Arthur that we see in movies, books, etc is fictional, but may have been loosely based on an historical character.

There's lots of theories, but apparently there was a warrior in the years just after Rome left Britain who united the various Celtic British tribes as a war leader in the effort to drive out the Saxons.

The story changed with each retelling.