GreaseSpot Cafe

My Attack Rabbit

Wacky Funster

About a week ago, my lop, Leo, who is free range in my little house, kept "escaping" from my main room here, to the little mud room by the back door...very unusual for him to do.

He would hang back there...and I would hear "thumping" from him.

I learned over Christmas that rabbits "thump" when they're angry...so, I thought he was mad at me.

I actually went to the farm and got him fresh corn, carrot tops, etc. thinking that was it.

About 2 days later, listening and wondering about the thumping I started hearing rustling and movement in the ceiling above.

That night...nawing and scratching...and I found the next day a racoon and had pulled open the roof vent and climbed in to hibernate.

Then I heard 2....then I heard the sex screeching one evening...

I started to notice a crack in my ceiling and down the wall...

Time for the exterminator. It's taken him 3 days to spray and track these little rascals...but, I think they're finally gone.

He told me rabbits also "thump" when they perceive danger and it's the warning. icon_smile.gif:)-->

(Rabid racoons were just found on my side of the bridge last week...and the incidence was right down the block that I live on!!!!!!)

Rabbits aren't dumb. They don't bark...they don't purr...sometimes you don't know what's going on with them...

But...they thump!!! and my little Leo was trying to warn me and save our lives icon_biggrin.gif:D--> Those raccoons were working their way in!!!

Edited by Guest

Wacky, that sounds so cool !! I just had to respond, I have a lop also, he's just wonderful, he's the color of cinnamon, so that's what i call him, when i'm at home and he's out of his cage, he'll follow me everywhere i go, i have him trained so when i whistle he'll come, and if I happpen to be taking a nap he'll follow me there and lay at the foot of the bed on the floor till I wake up, the kids love him to pieces, very patient little fella......... definitely make a wonderful pet, he's also totally housebroken !!

Cowgirl...Leo is cinnamon color too, very long hair...goes to almost white near the roots...with a brownish face.

I've been plucking his hair when he molts...I have a big bag of it now...it's softer than cashmere, I tell ya icon_smile.gif:)-->

We snuggle in the morning on my bed while I'm watching the news...he nestles in my armpit. When I'm on the puter he nibbles at my toes or licks them. He's very affectionate.

He does make mistakes and isn't totally housebroken...he mostly goes in his box tho, but not always...

I've trained him to come when I say "cookie". I give him organic corn chips or Smartfood...I did this in case he ever got out and I'd have to fetch him. I make sure when I give him a cookie, I never touch him...don't wanna spook him if I DO ever need to grab him!!!

Hopefully I'll get to spin some of his wool today...kind of excited about that. I'll be gone the rest of the weekend.

Love those lops icon_smile.gif:)-->

A two-year-old Saginaw County girl is recovering after her pet rabbit bit off the tip of her right index finger. Animal experts say last week's incident should serve as a warning to be careful around the furry creatures. A rabbit's two big front teeth are designed to cut through wood. The girl's mother says the three-year-old rabbit bit off the toddler's finger at the knuckle after she reached into its cage. The piece of finger couldn't be reattached. Mark Wachner is director of the Saginaw County Animal Care Center. He says rabbits are relatively safe household pets, but their owners have to be careful. The girl plans to find a new home for both of her pet rabbits.

It amazes me that people think animals deserve such harsh penalties as being made into stew when they do something we humans don't like. (I had to come home from work early because i have a nasty chest cold, so I have time to drag out the soapbox)

It is very unfortunate that this little girl was injured, but the rabbit doesn't deserve the death penalty. Adults should keep their animals safe from the children and their children safe from the animals.

Garth,

It is very mean to tell someone who has just expressed how much they love their animal that an animal of the same species should lose their life because of one incident that has more to the story than we have heard. Please play nice, put away that stew pot and step away from the stove - or put tofu in said pot rather than bunnyrabbit.