GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

That's a great link to Fred Merkle, Mstar.

It's going to have to wait until I can give it the time and attention it deserves, though.

What will be the fate of the Dodgers and Dbacks ? It really is up for grabs right now. The Dodgers are heading south, and the Dbacks are heading north. Will Joe Torre and Manny right the ship? Will I kiss my playoff ticket hopes goodbye ? I did get an unexpected opportunity to get to the last home game on Thursday, and I'm figuring I better go "just in case".

Today is ELIMINATION day... for the Dbacks. <_< No one to blame but themselves.

I hope your Dodgers do well in the playoffs. :)

I appreciate the gracious words Rocky. Of course, I'm glad the Dodgers have made it this far (especially since I MIGHT have playoff tickets). I'm not sure I qualify as a die hard Dodger fan, though. A Yankee fan yes, but that's mainly because it's the team I loved when I was 10, and old loyalties are the strongest.

Still, I've invested an amazing amount of time, and money in the Dodgers, and I am digging the Torre, Manny, led group. I also love Dodger Stadium, and of course, Vin Scully.

I will admit that if lightning strikes, and the Dodgers meet the Angels in the Series, I'll be pulling for the Angels.

I'm still an American Leaguer at heart, the Angels are a real nice organization, and they will forever play second fiddle to the Dodgers here, so I like to root for the 'underdog'.

I doubt it will get that far .

I'm going to the Stadium tonight. If the Dbacks lose today it will be a night long celebration. I think I'd rather see the Dodgers win the deciding game to get in.

Congrats to the Dodgers, Condolences to the DBacks..I'll be looking forward to seeing Manny again!

Interesting and amazing stat I just heard (and probably useless to most of you --but I think its cool)

Dustin Pedroia has swung at 1195 pitches this season and missed but 95

Amazin

Congrats to the Dodgers, Condolences to the DBacks..I'll be looking forward to seeing Manny again!

Interesting and amazing stat I just heard (and probably useless to most of you --but I think its cool)

Dustin Pedroia has swung at 1195 pitches this season and missed but 95

Amazin

That is amazing.

As to the Dbacks... they'll be a year older (the core members of the team, most of whom will be back), and that MIGHT make a difference next season. I doubt Orlando Hudson will be back. His wrist is much too fragile, even though he's a wonderful on field leader when he can play.

Big Adam Dunn's free agent so who knows? But THE one thing they missed most this season is the veteran leadership of a big bat. They had plenty of guys who could field better than him, but he did make a slight difference offensively when they brought him in. If they can build on that, it could be good.

They MIGHT bring the Big Unit back, but I can't imagine relying on him much next year. I'd like to see him get to 300 wins, but it's looking more difficult every start.

Webb and Haren still make an exceptional one-two punch as starters. The bullpen has been mostly good, but had some serious breakdowns. Those breakdowns wouldn't have been as serious with more consistent offense, however.

Stephen Drew came into his own this year. He was more or less mediocre offensively in the first half, but has raised his average to .290 with an exceptional second half. He hit for the cycle, has had numerous multi-hit games, and joined an elite club of only a couple other shortstops who hit 20 homeruns, 40 doubles and 10 triples in a season.

With Conor Jackson, Chris Young and Mark Reynolds, they have a solid young core of talent.

Besides that, next year I'll be able to take the new light rail mass transit system to the ball park and see games for less than $10 total cost with tickets and transportation.

So, I'm looking forward to 2009 (not simply because January will bring the end of an error)!

Strange night at Chavez Ravine. Everyone was happy and relaxed-maybe a little TOO relaxed. It was a meaningless game, and felt like it. Lots of good cheer though.

Some nice touches. Tommy Lasorda, and Frank McCourt (and a lot of security), walked through the stands,giving the folks in the "all you can eat" pavilion a good look at Tommy, who has long given up the slim-fast diet.

Joe Torre has learned how to handle big moments from his Yankee years. He started the "A" team, then replaced them one by one throughout the game, allowing the 'stars' to come off the field to ovations . Needless to say, Manny got the biggest cheers.

My oldest friend from back east, who is a Met fan, told me he now has respect for Torre. He thought his success in NY, was because of the payroll and that "half of them were juiced". Torre has brought the same professionalism, and steadiness to the Dodgers. Between that and Manny-the players all are crazy about him-it's a whole new Dodger team. Doesn't mean they'll win a thing in the playoffs , but we'll see.

Here's hoping I can get to the playoffs. It's 60-40 right now.

Im hoping for tickets too

They have a lottery system out here where a jillion people put their names in the pile and if you get picked you are in.

Last night was strange here as well, there is still avery long shot at first but the plan appears to be to combine going for it with resting up.

It was very odd when Jon Lester who was only going to go 5 - had a no hitter (again)into the sixth...I was really torn ---of course I'd love to see a guy toss his second of the year--but I really dont want to see him throw 130 pitches in his last start before the playoffs either.

As it turned out the Indians got a few hits in the 6th and the pint became moot as the Sox went on to win anyway.

Johnny Pesky's number 6 is going to be retired tonight after being with the Sox for 63 years.

In another real oddity it looks like it could rain all weekend here--Im hoping that if that is the case and they get rained out that they dont force them to play meaningless games right up until the playoffs but give them the rest time that everyone else gets to prepare

Good Luck in the Playoffs!

Im hoping for tickets too

They have a lottery system out here where a jillion people put their names in the pile and if you get picked you are in.

Last night was strange here as well, there is still avery long shot at first but the plan appears to be to combine going for it with resting up.

It was very odd when Jon Lester who was only going to go 5 - had a no hitter (again)into the sixth...I was really torn ---of course I'd love to see a guy toss his second of the year--but I really dont want to see him throw 130 pitches in his last start before the playoffs either.

As it turned out the Indians got a few hits in the 6th and the pint became moot as the Sox went on to win anyway.

Johnny Pesky's number 6 is going to be retired tonight after being with the Sox for 63 years.

In another real oddity it looks like it could rain all weekend here--Im hoping that if that is the case and they get rained out that they dont force them to play meaningless games right up until the playoffs but give them the rest time that everyone else gets to prepare.

Good Luck in the Playoffs!

I agree... as long as the games are meaningless to both teams.

Congrats to the Rays. Dropping the "Devil" worked out for them-even though everyone, including sportscasters still call them the Devil Rays.

Some interesting potential Series match ups. Of course the media, especially espn, and fox, want Cubs-Bosox.

Dodgers-Bosox for the Manny factor, and oh yes, JD Drew, Derek Lowe, and others-but it's really about Manny.

I would find Dodgers-Angels great-I wonder if the rest of the country would care.

I guess we're still waiting to see how the rest plays out. The nightmare series for the media is maybe Rays-Brewers

Well, I'm disgusted.

You wonder why I'm not such a baseball fan? Just take a look at the Mariner's records.

This will be, just by a hair's breadth, their 2nd to worst season ever. Thankfully a freak win this week saved them from this being their worst season ever - and one of the worst in baseball history.

I can't understand the management of the team whatsoever. They systematically sold off all their talent and consistently traded good players for bad. When the season started, everybody knew it was a foregone conclusion that the Mariners would be in the toilet (again) by season's end. And here we are. Why do they even field a team that is sooo bad? Why bother?

In 32 years of existence, we've had precisely ONE good season. Count 'em. ONE.

Maybe I could become a Cubbies fan?

Well, I'm disgusted.

In 32 years of existence, we've had precisely ONE good season. Count 'em. ONE.

Maybe I could become a Cubbies fan?

Well, George, you gotta admit, 116 wins in a season is considered by most a pretty "good" season...

I just thought of something for the woulda-coulda-shoulda department for LiftedUp...If the Injuns didn't get rid of Sabbathia to the Brewers and he had the same record to finish out the season with the Injuns (9-1, I think) as he's having with the Brew crew, and monkeys could fly and a few other variables, the Injuns would be battling the Chisox for first place today...

Right now, Sabbathia is 3-hitting the Cubs, but losing to a committee of Cub pitchers, who are currently 1-hitting the Brewers...

Yikes-the Mets once again lost their play off hopes on the last day of the season. I can only imagine how gloomy the post game farewell to Shea was.

The Dodgers open up in Chicago. They could be almost done by the time it comes back to LA. But in the year of Manny, who knows ?

Then there's the Bosox opening at the LA team of Anaheim. They always give the Angels fits, but we'll see.

I still contend that the nightmare series would be Rays -Brewers. It's so bizarre, that if I didn't have teams to pull for, I'd be hoping to see it.

Yikes-the Mets once again lost their play off hopes on the last day of the season. I can only imagine how gloomy the post game farewell to Shea was.

The Dodgers open up in Chicago. They could be almost done by the time it comes back to LA. But in the year of Manny, who knows ?

Then there's the Bosox opening at the LA team of Anaheim. They always give the Angels fits, but we'll see.

I still contend that the nightmare series would be Rays -Brewers. It's so bizarre, that if I didn't have teams to pull for, I'd be hoping to see it.

Well, there ARE good reasons to root for the Rays and the Brewers, one never having been in the playoffs and the other so long ago.

BUT one has to figure the Cubs to be a sentimental favorite in many places throughout the country.

I can't imagine the Brewers making it to the WS, but have to think that any of the other three NL teams could make it.

What happened with the AL central?

What happened with the AL central?

White Sox are a half game behind Minnesota, so, since it figures in the playoff hunt, they will play a make-up game Monday night against Detroit...If the Chisox win, the Tigers will have sole possession of last place in the AL Central (behind Kansas City :blink: ) and the Sox will end up with an identical record with the Twins, and thus will have a one game playoff with them on Tuesday...Chisox lose to the Tigers on Monday, Minnesota wins the AL Central by a full game...

White Sox are a half game behind Minnesota, so, since it figures in the playoff hunt, they will play a make-up game Monday night against Detroit...If the Chisox win, the Tigers will have sole possession of last place in the AL Central (behind Kansas City :blink: ) and the Sox will end up with an identical record with the Twins, and thus will have a one game playoff with them on Tuesday...Chisox lose to the Tigers on Monday, Minnesota wins the AL Central by a full game...

So, when do pitchers and catchers report for spring training? :dance:

I don't think they decide that until you at least suffer through the playoffs w/o the D-backs....Besides, I for one, want to enjoy at least one day where the temperature stays below 100 degrees before I'm ready to welcome back the boys of summer...

I suspect we'll have a few of those days... hopefully VERY soon!

So, Simon, is there any uncertainty as to who you'll be cheering for in the playoffs? :wink2:

So, when do pitchers and catchers report for spring training?

O there is lots left yet Rock-- :)

The first round with three games a day, there will be late nights and the meaning of ever pitch intensified, a lot of high anxiety, tears of joy , broken hearts..emotional ups and downs, ---times of exhiliration ---times of exhaustion...There is nothing like October baseball..Its worth getting attached to--as best you can --the First one to 11 wins

For the rest of you start shootin for February usually around Valentines Day

I find the AL Central situation exciting, and interesting.

While it's nice to have your team in the playoffs, for me it's not necessary in order to enjoy them and get into them.

Let's hope other fans feel that way, since most teams only have a few or no championships in their history.

Some years I almost prefer not being emotionally involved.

Last night they had a 'pep rally' at Dodger Stadium. 6000 showed up and it was televised live. Tommy Lasorda fired up the crowd like an old time preacher, as only he can. Tommy has always been full of it, and he was in rare form.

In Tommy's world, if you're not a Dodger, you're not worth nothing. In fact, the only people in heaven are Dodgers-no one else earns the right when they go. He started off with 'We hate the Giants", and almost started a riot pointing out a few 'spies' wearing Angel gear there. I hope they made it out in one piece. Joe Torre is accepted as ok, because he has 'changed his ways', though all his accomplishments before were booed. The crowd loves Manny, and I'm sure Tommy didn't realize the implications when he said Manny was 'injected' with Dodger Blue.

The team showed up from SF , and spoke to the crowd. Manny told the crowd they have to keep him here. I thought Torre found it all a little premature and 'quaint', and is looking forward to celebrating after they win. He's clearly enjoying laid back LA.

No Post Season is without all sorts of drama--on this end we all found out yesterday that Josh Beckett, our #1, and the

guy who always kicks it up a huge notch for the playoffs has a strained oblique.

Everyone Im sure is fighting something-we'll have to see how it flies from here--Hopefully a few extra days rest (hes been slotted into Game Three against the Angels--will give him enough time to heal and be effective---if not the chances of a repeat have been dealt a big blow----

but its October---anything can happen.....

WhiteSox just won the AL Central by virtue of being the first team ever to win three straight do-or-die games to three different teams...Sunday, they had to win against Cleveland to stay within a half-game of Minnesota on the last scheduled game of the season...Monday, they won their make-up game with Detroit, putting them in a tie w/ Minnesota, forcing a one game playoff against the Twins, which the Sox won 1-0...I don't think the Sox are one of the better teams in the AL playoff hunt, but by now, I would have to say that they gotta be the least jittery...

I hope some of you watched the tiebreaker game---It doesnt get much better than the 163rd game of the year being a late inning 1-0 win

Congrats to the White Sox---

I saw a little bit of the last two half innings... pretty good drama. Home team won...

btw, if either Chicago team gets to the big one, I hope the weather will be good in the Windy City.

Otherwise, LA/Anaheim and Tampa would seem to be good for preventing rain outs...

O boy --and thus it starts--what we have been waiting for all year--the first of (hopefully) many long nights in a month of almost no sleep. 3 games on tap today--and mine doesnt even start until 10 PM.

Every pitch counts just a little more, every at bat and every play gets magnified.

I hate the commercial but I have to agree that there really is Only One October--and like christmas it has finally arrived.

Good luck everyone--enjoy it all.

world%20series%20trophy-thumb-299x402.png