GreaseSpot Cafe

Illini Basketball

GeorgeStGeorge

The Fighting Illini (or, as I prefer to call them, the Screaming Illeenee) have set a team record by winning their first eighteen games! They've been ranked #1 in the country now for five weeks, having beaten their opponents by an average of about twenty points. Interestingly, they've squeaked by some of their poorer opponents but crushed other top-twenty teams, including previous #1 Wake Forest. My only fear is that they'll go unbeaten into the NCAA tournament, only to be beaten in the first round by Austin Peay (or the equivalent)!

Go Illini!

Go Chief!

George

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22-0!

North Carolina, my eye!

Mighigan State is tough at home, but the Illini took it to them. The only ranked team Illinois has left on its schedule is Wisconsin, whom they've already beaten once. You can't take anything for granted, of course, but Illinois has a good chance of fininshing at least the regular season undefeated. Then there's the conference tournament, and then the NCAA.

Stay tuned. icon_smile.gif:)-->

George

quote:
Originally posted by Pirate1974:

The road to the national championship goes through Chapel Hill.

Apparently, Duke agrees with you. They went through UNC rather handily.

(Sorry, Pirate. I couldn't resist.) icon_wink.gif;)-->

May I add, the Illini defeated Wisconsin again, and are now 25-0! (This is only the fourth-best start in Big Ten history. Of course, Indiana won it all back in '78-79 (I think).)

George icon_cool.gif

A 1-point Duke win at home when Carolina had the last shot of the game in one of the toughest places to play in the country? I don't think that means Duke "went through UNC rather handily." I think Illinois would have a pretty tough time playing in front of the Cameron Crazies too.

Indiana went undefeated in the 1975-76 season, the last college team to pull that off.

27-0!

The Illini have now tied the '60-'61 Buckeyes for the third-best start in conference history. With Northwestern, Purdue, and Ohio State left, it's quite likely that the Illini will finish the regular season undefeated. They'll have three games to play in the Big Ten tournament before the NCAA tourney.

icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)--> icon_smile.gif:)-->

George

If the Illini were in the ACC, they would do well to win half of their conference games! The only teams from the Big Ten that could possibly reach the sweet 16 are Illinois and perhaps Michigan State. Almost any team from the ACC with the exception of the bottom 3 or four teams could be there.

Could you imagine the Illini going undefeated having to play Duke at Cameron or Carolina in the Dean Dome. I think they would even have their hands full playing the lowly Wolfpack at the RBC Center. On the other hand, Duke, Carolina, Wake and Maryland are very capable of taking down the Illini on their wood.

If you don't follow the ACC, you don't know how competitive the league can be. Why is that the conference consistently yields 4 or 5 teams in the sweet 16 each year? Often 2 of the Final Four teams are ACC teams.

I don't claim that Illinois has had the best program over the last few decades. They have, however, been a consistent winner; and this year, I (and apparently all the coaches and sportswriters) think they have the best team in the nation. It is a shame that the only ACC team they have had the opportunity to humble was (the former #1) Wake Forest. It seems likely, however, that they'll meet one or two during the championships. In the meantime, let me enjoy their present success!!

George

Illinois is very good, no question. If you're the only undefeated team in the country, you deserve to be No. 1. No argument there.

They probably have the best backcourt in college basketball with Luther Head, Dee Brown and Deron Williams. The problem they're going to have in the tournament is with teams that like to pound it inside. Big, strong guys like Carolina's Sean May or Duke's Shelden Williams could give them a lot of trouble.

It looks like North Carolina and Illinois will both be No. 1 seeds so they wouldn't have a chance to meet until the Final Four. It should be interesting.

29-0!

A merciless pounding of Purdue in Illinois's last home game. Ohio State might present more of a challenge this Sunday. Of course, there's still a LONG way to go for a comletely unbeaten season, which would require 41 wins (30 season, three conference championship, and eight NCAA championship games).

If the seedings predicted in the SI website hold, Illinois's last three games might be Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest. That would be interesting!

George