GreaseSpot Cafe

Illini Basketball

GeorgeStGeorge

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Un-FREAKIN-believable!!!!! that's all that can be said about Arizona letting such a big lead in the last minutes of regular time dwindle away to a tie and OT. Lute! Were you takin a nap or what!!!????

O.K., I'm done grousing now. Congrats to your team, George. They certainly wanted it more than the Cats.

J.

quote:
But Wisconsin? They've got to be the ugliest team I've ever seen play. Now we'll see how they do against North Carolina.

Pirate -- Whatcha mean by *ugly*?? icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

Is that good or bad?

(am watching them play NC right now, and this game sure is see-sawing back and forth.) confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeStGeorge:

36-1!

At least I have a week to get my heart re-started! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D--> I knew that Arizona was going to be tough. I got back from fellowship this evening just in time to catch the last five minutes. I doubt I would have survived the whole game!

George

GsGeorge -- heh heh!! I got a chance to watch most of the first half (was at work, but nothing was pressing right then), but I missed the last half of the 2nd half.

The first part of the game probably wasn't as impressive as that over-time must've been! icon_eek.gif

I'm thinking you got to see the *good* part of the game. icon_cool.gif

I hear that Chief Illiniwek, the symbol (please don't call him a mascot) of the Fighting Illini, will not be making the trip to St. Louis. Apparently, the chief is not considered politically correct. I guess some Native American groups consider the Fighting Illini name itself to be offensive.

No word on whether any Greek-American activists are protesting Michigan State's Spartan mascot.

Yeah, Pirate, a bunch of numbnuts (in Arizona, I think, NOT Illinois) have been trying to do away with the Chief. mad.gifbanghead.gifmad.gif As it happens, present students, staff, and alumni are strongly IN FAVOR of the Chief. The Trustees kept trying to vote Illiniwek away, but there has always been enough grass-roots support to keep him. I guarantee that if the Trustees cave to PC pressure, I'll never donate again.

I remember the first Illinois football game I went to. At halftime, after the Marching Illini had done all their fancy routines, they formed a large block at one end of the field. I hears a few people start to chant, "Chief! Chief!"; but I had no idea what was going on. Then the band started to play "Os-kee-wow-wow" and march downfield. Chief Illiniwek burst out of the block and led the band downfield with a number of stylized, but authentic, Indian dances. The whole stadium went nuts! I still get goosebumps thinking about it! As the band marched downfield, they actually were splitting out the letters I-L-L-I-N-I, so at the end of the song, the word covered the field, with Chief Illiniwek standing at the far goal line in a victory pose. icon_cool.gif

I can understand that some team names and symbols might be demeaning. "Resdskins," for example. Stanford, and now Syracuse, have changed their team names. But I see no reason to eliminate the proud symbol, Illiniwek. For crying out loud, Illinois is just the French spelling of Illini!

George

37-1!

It's nice having essentially a home-court advantage throughout the tournament. (There are probably as many Illinois alumni in the St. Louis area as there are in Chicago.)

Shut down Louisville in the second half. Great shooting from the arc. Bring on Michigan State (or MAYBE UNC)!

icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

George

P.S.: 37 wins in a season ties the NCAA record!

George,

I take back what I said about the Illini not being able to go undefeated in the ACC. I don't think I have seen a team play with such talent and cohesiveness. Still it would be difficult to for them to secure an unblemished record in the ACC but it could be done by this Illini team...if they brought their A game to each and every conference game.

UNC proved how lethally loaded with talent they are against Michigan State. However, they have played inconsistently at times. We brought our A game against Michigan State. We are going to have to bring our A++ game against Illinois in order to prevail.

Maybe they'll just call it a tie after three overtimes! Thanks for the gracious comments, Oen. I've seen the Illini play inconsistently, too. I think the real key to their success this season has been team play. They don't usually get more than one scorer with 20+ points, but they often have four or five with 10+.

George

Should be a very good game. Both teams have been consistently good throughout the season with the exception of North Carolina losing their opener to unranked Santa Clara (Santa Clara University is my Dad's college. It is in California just north of San Jose.)