GreaseSpot Cafe

Illini Basketball

GeorgeStGeorge

(Said in my best Wallace Shawn voice) INCONCEIVABLE!!! icon_frown.gif:(-->

I only watched the last ten minutes of the game, but it was enough to see Illinois drop a ten-point lead. Ohio State only led in the game for five seconds, but it was the FINAL five seconds. (A last-ditch attempt by the Illini bounced off the rim.)

I trust that the Illini will shake this off before the Big Ten tourney this coming weekend. It's somewhat of a comfort to know that the absolute WORST they could do is to finish 29-3, and I expect they'll win at least a COUPLE more games. (38-1 would be nice!)

29-1. (Sigh)

George

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:
Originally posted by oenophile:

HEELS NOW #1

Apparently, this is not the consensus oponion.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/bask...l.ap/index.html

Of course, if Illinois doesn't win its conference tournament, and UNC wins its, that probably will change. It will be an interesting weekend.

George

Edited by GeorgeStGeorge

Ok, the Illini are no. 1 for now. George, I hope you will understand that I was in a state of euphoria when the Heels beat Duke with an amazing come from behind run.

Hopefully, the two teams will get to play each other in Indy. That should be a game that will live in basketball lore.

quote:
Are there any other Illini fans lurking? (As I write this, this site HAS had over 240 views.)

I have been lurkin' as a very casual college BBall fan--nothing serious at all. Although I can appreciate the fervor and love that develops between a team and its fans, I wasn't born into it like alot of Illini fans seem to be...I'll watch the tourney, even get a little excited from time to time, but sorry I don't live and die with it--that belongs to baseball...Good luck --I'll be watching-but I really dont have a bunch to add here.

32-1!

Sometimes, you win with defense. Since the Illini's first game with Iowa, teams have tried to contain them by slowing the pace. That HAS kept Illinois from big wins, but it hasn't stopped them from winning.

Honestly, mstar1, basketball isn't my favorite game, either. I am just happy to see my alma mater (well, one of them -- but MIT doesn't field division 1 teams) doing so well. (And considering the football team the last few years...)

George

Okay, GSG - time for me to fess up.

I am an Illinois fan. I was born in Illinois and I live in Illinois at this time.

I have been a basketball fan for years, played one year on the college level. When our family takes a vacation to a different city, we even take in a pro game occasionally.

I have several teams that I follow and Illinois is one of them.

Go Illini!

33-1!

A lot scarier than it should have been, though. icon_eek.gif I'd like to see Illinois make history, but not by being the first #1 seed to lose in the first round! Farleigh-Dickinson made as many two-pointers as the Illini; but fortunately Illinois was better from the arc and the line. Illinois seems to play just well enough to win.

Welcome, morey!

George

Three teams from North Carolina in the Sweet Sixteen. Could have been four if Wake Forest had played any defense at all against West Virginia.

Tar Heels looked awesome blowing out Oakland and Iowa State. With Kansas, Syracuse and Connecticut all gone it looks like an easy road to St. Louis.

quote:
Originally posted by oenophile:

If the Illini were in the ACC, they would do well to win half of their conference games! The only teams from the Big Ten that could possibly reach the sweet 16 are Illinois and perhaps Michigan State. Almost any team from the ACC with the exception of the bottom 3 or four teams could be there.

Hmmm....

It would appear that at least three Big Ten teams can make not only the Sweet Sixteen, but also the Elite Eight. Can't be said about the ACC (this year). icon_cool.gif

George

quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeStGeorge:

If the seedings predicted in the SI website hold, Illinois's last three games might be Duke, UNC, and Wake Forest. That would be interesting!

George

Interestingly, now the reverse could be true. UNC's last three games could be Wisconsin, Michigan State, and Illinois!

George

36-1!

At least I have a week to get my heart re-started! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D--> I knew that Arizona was going to be tough. I got back from fellowship this evening just in time to catch the last five minutes. I doubt I would have survived the whole game!

Now to see how the other Big Tenners do. See you in St. Louis!

George