GreaseSpot Cafe

Routers and firewalls

Psalm 71 one

We FINALLY got cable internet connection! We've just moved to outside Atlanta and the dial-up was horrible!! (24. . . bps or whatever)

AKKKK!

Anyhoo, I had never reinstalled ZoneAlarm after a freind had worked on my puter last summer, and figured I better do that first thing when the cable went on. I've had a few glitches with that--like it won't find any web page until I allow Internet Connection Sharing to be enabled. Comcast says it's a ZA problem, not theirs! confused.gif

My hubby is still on the dial up because we haven't bought the wireless router-thingy so he can connect, too. The friend who is going to set that up for us tells me I can delete ZA once the router goes on, since that is a firewall, too.

Is taht true? and is wireless connection really safe? Wouldn't someone be able to hack into our connection more easily?

Yeah, you can do without Zone Alarm if you have a router.

I would also reccommend getting another firewall in addition to the router - but not Zone Alarm.

In another thread in this forum, Bluzeman and (I think) Wasway and Wordwolf offer some advice about free antivirus and firewall software.

thank you, Steve I looked back several pages, but I don't remember the title I am looking for--I think I did read it some time ago, but don't know where it is.

WordWolf, I don't think it's ZA that doesn't work for me, I think it may have something to do with this computer's operator, but, shhh! don't tell anyone!!! heehee!

I think if i am going to have a free firewall with my router, ZA's probabaly as good as any, but why do I need another firewall if the router is supposedly a forewall?

They're not identical.

A router provides a firewall for incoming traffic. Period.

It also doesn't update.

A (software) firewall controls traffic incoming and outgoing.

If you use a router but no firewall program, then if something makes it

on to your drive, and attempts to call out after grabbing all your passwords

or something,

then you'll never know.

If you use a firewall in addition, when the program attempts to dial out,

you'll get a notice, which is your cue to run antivirus and everything else.

Wordwolf is right. A router will only close incoming ports. You may still be susceptible to trojans and malware and other nasty stuff.

A firewall on the other hand, will detect and block unwanted activity. Although they can be a pain in the foot at first (constantly popping up asking if you want to allow this or that to access the internet), once rules have been properly configured, they pretty much just sit there and "guard the gate".

I don't know much about the free ones, as one of my clients has provided me with symantec client security. I DO know I hate zone alarm with a passion. I've had to fix too many computers for people who didn't have it all closed down before they uninstalled it, then to find out they had no internet access. But maybe they've changed that in the last year or so.

For those that have the interest, you can take an old computer and run a linux firewall/router for just the cost of an old machine. Doesn't even need a hard drive, runs on a floppy. If anyone's interested in setting one up, let me know, and I'll try to help get you started.

OK, done rambling. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Rick