A lot of folks can't understand

how we came to have

an oil shortage here in America.

~~~

Well, there's a very simple answer.

~~~

Nobody bothered to check the oil.

~~~

We just didn't know we were getting low.

~~~

The reason for that is purely geographical.

~~~

Our OIL is located in

~~~

Alaska

~~~

California

~~~

Oklahoma

and

TEXAS

~~~

~~~

Our

DIPSTICKS

are located in

Washington DC

A few days ago a newspaper article said that oil production levels (barrels) are at the same level as when regular gas was at $1.89 a gallon. That means that we should be paying $1.89 a gallon, not $2.33 per gallon.

This is all profit and price gouging of the greedy oil companies. Capitalism is not ok when there is price collusion going on. Bush should do something.

4_3_2.gif

quote:
Originally posted by oldiesman:

This is all profit and price gouging of the greedy oil companies. Capitalism is not ok when there is price collusion going on. Bush should do something.

Oh, he has done something, and well...

Bush&Abdullah.jpg

On behalf of the Saudi royal family and the Bin Ladens, George W. Bush would like to thank you for your continued financial support.

lol...Abi

that's a keeper

if you don't mind, on a more serious note re: the energy crisis and the end of the oil age:

an simple example of what has happened: back in the 70s, it cost about 1 barrel of oil to get about 30 (there is an acronym for this ratio). But now, its more like 1 to get 3. when we reach 1 to 1...

in previous decades, it was a matter of increasing production to adjust the global energy currency (which is trying (often violently) to shift from Dollar to Euro). And now, everyone is more or less already at peak production now (but shhhh...wink2.gif;)-->)

the energy brokers themselves have been anticipating this petro-chemical tsunami for a long time, and so needless to say, they are not in much of a crisis whatsoever. they are chowing down like kings of the earth on the dynamic of the crash. popping champagne and such. the ole' fiddles and smoke, if ya know what i mean

some circles even theorize that increasing the rate of consumption of resources may even lessen the gravity of "what comes crashing down." Though a horrific idea, they may be technically "correct."

for those interested, email or PT me, and/or Google up what Jared Diamond (writer of "Guns, Germs, and Steel") and ilk are writing lately about the various global and local ramifications of "peak oil". but i warn ya, this subject really is a blue pill/red pill kinda situation, imo.

imo, it seems individual and local post-conventional adaptation is more likely to be effective than the more conventional global or national interests and efforts. though, obviously, some countries and cultures are more resistant to this shift than others.

peace,

quote:
an simple example of what has happened: back in the 70s, it cost about 1 barrel of oil to get about 30 (there is an acronym for this ratio). But now, its more like 1 to get 3. when we reach 1 to 1...

Uhhhhmmmm, what?

It cost about 1 barrel of oil to get about 30 what? 30 barrels? How can 1 barrel of oil cost 30 barrels?

Splain, please!

lol...not sure what yer askin, Steve.

quote:
It cost about 1 barrel of oil to get about 30 what? 30 barrels?

is the opposite of...

quote:
How can 1 barrel of oil cost 30 barrels?

Maybe a slip of the keyboard?

regardless...heerz some eye-opening stats:

...in order to use oil, you first have to search for it, drill it, extract it, transport it, refine it, and distribute it. Each step requires oil-powered machinery. The ratio between how much energy it takes to acquire and amount of oil and how much energy is contained in oil is known as "Energy Return on Energy Invested" (EROEI). Kinda like how an indian had to eat buffalo in the morning before going buffalo hunting, regardless of how successful he was.

EROEI was 5 to 1 in the 90s. Once the ratio hits 1 to 1, oil will be thermodynamically useless.

Dick Cheney, 1999: "By some estimates, there will be an average of 2% annual growth in global oil demand over the years ahead, along with, conservatively, a 3% natural decline in production from existing reserves. That means by 2010 we will need an order of an additional 50 million barrels a day."

Oil producing nations are pumping at full capacity (about 80 million per day), hence, Prince George's inability to prod the Saudis or anyone else.

According to a January 2004 report in Petroleum Review, the discovery rate for mega projects (those which contain more than 500 million barrels or about a one week supply) has now dwindled to nothing. In 2000, 16 mega projects were discovered. In 2001 there were 8. In 2002 there were 3. In 2002, there were none.

Nowadays, a 200 million barrel discovery is huge, and gets press attention. But don't forget, the world uses 80 million a day.

And once a find is made, it takes about 5-7 years for production to come online. and 2000 was the last decent year for big finds.

The Saudis have a saying: "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet airplane. His son will ride a camel."

For what its worth...i hope the info helps as much as it also kinda sucks...

peace

I heard on the radio that we are discovering more oil than there is demand. Because at $50 per barrel, it is beneficial to look deeper.

We could also cut back on gas consumption by carpooling, mass transit and burning our SUVs.

welcome, Steve!

Def, not sure which station it was, or who was speaking, but...its seems to be in stark contrast to what experts in the energy industry and such are saying

also, sadly, cutting back on individual gasoline consumption is like peeing in the ocean, when it comes to all our modern overall petro addictions. I mean, look around at the stuff, right now, in your home and work, and ask yourself how much oil and plastic and related went into designing, making, marketing, distributing, repairing, disposing of, etc...

estimates are that 4 of every 5 dollars we spend on things like food, shelter, medicine, clothing and entertainment is due to currencies' relationship to oil

but, An individual can do a lot towards free themselves of the oil-energy dependence. But not much civilization can do, or will do, it seems

Edited by sirguessalot