GreaseSpot Cafe

Why we were (and others still are) in the way

My3Cents

Lots has been said here from individual perspective. Here's an idea of a group pattern. In a book called "All Marketers are Liars" Seth Godin notes that great marketers tell great stories and they are often successful independent of the truth of the stories.

BUT, he says, we should not blame the marketers. They're just trying to do their job. And the buying public responds to (good) stories even when it can be shown that they are not true - or (more often) not about the facts.

Great examples of this on his blog at Liar's Blog

It made me think of the wonderful story that appealed to us when we got in the way - knowing THE TRUTH, serving God, following the man of God, and changing the world.

At some point we saw a contradiction between what we saw as facts, and the story. Many here express frustration and sadness with friends, family and loved ones who are still in despite the evidence. Perhaps they just still prefer the story.

quote:
Many here express frustration and sadness with friends, family and loved ones who are still in despite the evidence. Perhaps they just still prefer the story.

I dunno. Some refuse to hear enough to have enough information that what they're being taught is a lie. I know one person whose ex-spouse will not have a conversation that they believe will try to talk them out of TWI. They know nothing of the lies outright and they haven't seen any inconsistencies or wrong teaching in the doctrines.

My ex doesn't know anything about the abuses save what he's been told about the lawsuits and he knows that TWI would have lost their @sses if the trials had gone to court. He chalks it up as one person (lcm) being wrong, not the whole organization. His mantra is that TWI would be perfect if it weren't for the people because people aren't perfect.

He certainly doesn't believe that anything they are teaching is wrong....not even the things I pointed out.

Also, in the beginning of my involvement I didn't think anything was wrong but that I was the one with the problem. I came from a very rebellious, partying background and thought it was all new and uncomfortable because it wasn't something I was used to.

Once I started getting peeved about the way we were being treated, micr-managed and having our time manipulated I started fighting back. Then the 1st lawsuit announcement came out and we were forbidden to go on the internet. That's when I found out I wasn't the only one feeling that way and that there was tremendous validation to the things I had been thinking. THAT'S when i started aggressively trying to get my husband to see the things I saw.

I think maybe there are SOME people who fall into your theory, but you can't blanket categorize everyone with that. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Hey, You just made me remember that people were told point blank not to go on the internet. Way Dale and others were up and running.

People were actually believing they might get possessed if they read all the stuff in there (all those lies about Martindale screwing around, raping people, etc). Amazing how, once they were sure their web site would pop up first in an internet search, then it became okay...then encouraged...heck, then downright spiritually right on to log onto theway.com.

People were encouraged to go there and often...twig announcements told people to go to the site. Still controlling people.

Is it just me, or didn't anyone else think it weird that people were told, as a twig activity, to log onto the way's website? I've learned that there was a reason, even if they weren't saying...even if it's to see how much control they still exert over people by seeing how much the counters go up when one of those mandates went out.

Someone once mentioned that if you go to their website, they would track if you were posting at Way Dale, or Greasespot, by tracing the computer (I'm no savvy to computer jargon, sorry) or something like that. Anyone know? Catcup...Hope...Radar...anyone?

You're absolutely right, justwannabeme. I was one of those people worried about getting possessed for reading the stuff on there.

I just wonder how they justify their website after so many years of telling people the internet is pure evil run by the debbil himself. I also wonder if they realize how many people they're driving to GSpot by encouraging them to go on the web.

If you go to their website they can not tell who you are or where you've been. You can not "get busted" by visiting their website and visiting GSpot or any other anti-TWI site. I don't know all the savvy computer jargon either, but I do know that they can not trace your computer or find out who you are.

To control what someone else believes is pure power.

..."...God had told me that he would teach me the word as it had not been known since the first century, if I would teach it to others"..."I opened my eyes and saw SNOW ON THE GAS PUMPS"

That's where it began with a lot of folks...

I mean, why would this simple Ohio preacher MAKE UP SOMETHING LIKE THAT?...and we believed him.

People WANT to believe in something like that...everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die...Wierwille appealed to the first generation of people who had spent their entire life in front of a television set...Peter Pan...Wizard Of Oz...General Patton really IS George C. Scott...and Vic Wierwille saw the snow on the gas pumps...

sign the green card and give me your dough.

...and today, the residual effect is Rozilla the rug muncher, whose main job is to maintain a facade...so that they may continue to keep their "non-profit" "Christian" organization providing a "more than abundant" life for themselves...

If you're still in twi...you're close to braindead.

quote:
If you're still in twi...you're close to braindead.

I dunno about that Groucho. I would venture to say there are a lot of braindead TWIts, but there are also those who are younger and harbor fantasies about changing the things they know are wrong. There are also those who, like I was, are trying to hold their families together and are either compromising on their involvement with TWI or trying to "wake up" the brain dead members of their family. A couple of people I talk to are in abusive relationships, but have been battered for so long that they are just trying to work up the courage to stand up for themselves.

Change is scary and change from an abusive situation (spiritually, mentally, emotionally) to something that's completely unknown without much support is terrifying for some. That's why I do my best to help the people who contact me. I've even offered my house and financial assistance to some of the people who have contacted me privately.

Sorry if I sound prudish or defensive, but I was in their shoes less than a year ago and it took me over five years to get up the nerve to actually do anything about it and, ironically, it was my ex who asked for the divorce, not me. I just know how hard it is, even with a loving, supportive family like I have. My parents would have given me a million dollars if I needed it to get out from under the TWIts, but I didn't want to ask for it and I was still scared of what life would be like outside TWIt-ville regardless of the support.