GreaseSpot Cafe

Waking up woozy

johniam

This past new yrs eve one of the cable channels had a bunch of rock and roll movies playing all night. One of them was 'The Last Waltz'. Lot of good music in that movie, but slow moving. They'd have a song or 2 and then 2-3 minutes of Robbie Robertson and the others talking. So I nodded out ten minutes into the movie.

I woke up to Joni Mitchell singing that song 'Coyote'. It was cool because that song is like a lot of her stuff, but it moved along pretty good and it took about a minute from my first memory of seeing her on the screen to being in full focus. I got chills.

I ended up buying the DVD and listening to anything I could get my hands on of her for awhile. I'm not sexually attracted to her; in fact, I think she's kind of funny looking, but I could listen to her for hours at a time sometimes. She's a terrific artist.

But it all came from waking up woozy. That 1 minute period in transition from barely awake to in full focus was an interesting journey. I've had others like that. Once when in TWI I slept for 30 minutes on the living room couch and woke up to the phone and I answered the phone and I'm pretty sure I swore at whoever made the call and hung up. Might've been a telemarketer; might've been the branch leader. ???????? But waking up woozy is interesting. I wondered if anybody else remembers anything similar. Maybe this is where SNL came up with 'Deep thoughts by Jack Handy'.

quote:
i think i go from asleep to awake faster than you, johnnyam

Well, yeah, I don't wake up like that every time. When our kids were infants my wife and I shared getting up at 3AM for stuff and you develop a new set of reflexes, but I saw a show where Paul McCartney said he got 'Yesterday' while in that half awake state. Who knows, maybe Peter nodded out while praying on Simon the tanner's roof and saw those animals while waking up.

I know this was written for me-

I went to Staten Island.

To buy myself a mandolin

And I saw the long white dress of love

On a storefront mannequin

Big boat chuggin' back with a belly full of cars...

All for something lacy

Some girl's going to see that dress

And crave that day like crazy

Little Indian kids on a bridge up in Canada

They can balance and they can climb

Like their fathers before them

They'll walk the girders of the Manhattan skyline

Shine your light on me Miss Liberty

Because as soon as this ferry boat docks

I'm headed to the church

To play Bingo

Fleece me with the gamblers' flocks

I can keep my cool at poker

But I'm a fool when love's at stake

Because I can't conceal emotion

What I'm feeling's always written on my face

There's a gypsy down on Bleecker Street

I went in to see her as a kind of joke

And she lit a candle for my love luck

And eighteen bucks went up in smoke

Sharon, I left my man

At a North Dakota junction

And I came out to the "Big Apple" here

To face the dream's malfunction

Love's a repetitious danger

You'd think I'd be accustomed to

Well, I do accept the changes

At least better than I used to do

(song for sharon)

quote:
Who knows, maybe Peter nodded out while praying on Simon the tanner's roof and saw those animals while waking up.

i was gonna point to that too. not as intense, but at least of the same state or substance or medium

but i also think Peter (being a disciple of Jesus the wilderness wanderer) was highly disciplined at sitting cross-legged and staying awake as long as he could.

no food, no sleep = drop awareness of your body and time and such.

and so...no wonder the jman needed food and sleep and medical attention when he was done with his 40 days and nights

Thats probably my favorite moment of the day, when you are straddling the bridge from the dream world to the waking world , the veil is very thin between the two, the consciousness has yet to be bounded by the normal waking restrictions, and the voice of the subconscious, the spirit, or whatever the heck it is seems to be the clearest...

quote:
...but I saw a show where Paul McCartney said he got 'Yesterday' while in that half awake state.

Interesting.

Pat Enright (guitarist, and lead vocalist) for THE DREADFUL SNAKES, and later THE NASHVILLE BLUEGRASS BAND was in a hospital bed, in a coma, and found by his bedside on a piece of paper (in his handwriting), were the following lyrics, which became a big bluegrass hit back in the 80's.

Once he emerged from the coma -- he had no recollection of writing anything, but it was undeniably his handwriting, and a nurse found it on the floor by his bed during a routine check on him while he was still in the coma. Guess there is something to be said for that *in between state*.

quote:
Who's That Knocking At My Door

by Pat Enright

chorus: 

Whose that knocking at my door, have I heard that knock before,

Is it evil trying to get into my room?

Who’s that tapping at my window, who's calling me to go,

To a place that’s filled with dark and gloom.

Oh this life that I’m living, it seems so unforgiving

I find trouble everywhere that I go.

I always seek it first, just to quench my burning thirst

In waters that are cool as fallen snow.

But the waters are oh so deep, what you sow you must reap.

Now I hear a knocking at my door.

It’s evil standing outside, and there’s no place to run and hide.

It plucks my soul and presses me to the floor.

(chorus)

Oh I’ve been down that pathway, it always leads the wrong way

But this time I don’t think I’ll be back.

Like a freight train pulling me, there’s a dark tunnel ahead I see

This train’s going down a one-way track.

(chorus)

quote:

WE WALK IN THE DREAM

by LIVE

I was wrong

we are not these bodies alone

in a dream

with a mind of its own

I I know you long

to be tethered and tied to the heart of the one

the one that be layin' you down

on that ancient ground

nothin' more to be found

ah yeah

now we walk in the dream

but dream no more

to live a life in love the only thing in common was we knew there was somethin' more

now we walk in the dream

but dream no more

to live a life in love to hear the voice in the wilderness the other side of the door

somethin' more

i feel strong

i'm finally at peace

the war is all gone

by no cause of my own

like an eagle cuts through the air

no time for fear

faith in his wings takes him there

now we walk in the dream

but dream no more

to live a life in love the only thing in common was we knew there was somethin' more

now we walk in the dream

but dream no more

to live a life in love to hear the voice in the wilderness the other side of the door

somethin' more!

more than these

women in the streets pullin' out their hair

somethin' more

somethin' more than all the pain we feel

somethin' more

more than we could dream of, all light

love-bliss, no death and no fear

no fear!!!

now we walk in the dream

but dream no more

now we walk in the dream

but dream no more

somethin' more

i was wrong

oh yeah, i was wrong

quote:
Who made these waking restrictions anyway; they sure can be annoying.

We've been wink2.gif;)-->programmed by religion, schools, society and friends..not to linger in that state...at least our society doesnt place much value on it....gotta Get Up! Get Busy! be a good producer and consumer! Buy Something!

ugh --leave me alone...

What a day for a day dream

Custom made for a daydreamin boy

Now I'm lost in a sweet dream

dreamin 'bout my bundle of joy

Even if there was no pressure to buy something as you say, natural laws seem to mandate being awake eventually, but you hit on something. Consider these Beatles lyrics...

please don't wake me, no don't shake me, leave me where I am; I'm only sleeping.

Yes, avoiding mainstream awake consciousness is sometimes a "welcomed friend". Maybe that's why a lot of our generation took drugs.

i'm glad this thread is staying alive. forgive if i "go doctrinal," but heerz a crude summation of what ive learned and experienced. maybe some of it will address some of the points brought up:

it appears that we move thru approx 3 states of awareness each day...

...waking, dreaming, and a deep formless state

these are often called things like:

body, soul and spirit, or gross, subtle and causal realms

(though there are a thousand other sets of terms and models throughout history, these seem to float to the top in the east-meets-west discussions)

we "move" thru each of them in a sense, every day, in that we relax into (or literally "sit in") each state for a period of time

most people (modern or ancient) naturally do not practice or seek much of the latter 2 state

and if they do, its usually only the soul/subtle, and even then, only partially, or accidentally, or perhaps even addictively

and so we usually miss out on being aware in the soul and spirit realms, pretty consistently throughout our lives.

and the causal/spirit deep formless sleep realms are about as close to "death" state as one can get, and the way we often fearfully approach death and dying reflects our lack of practicing maintaining awareness thru "dying" on a daily basis throughout our lives

for an adept at resting in the subtle realms, one pretty much knows they are in the dreaming state. they do not forget they are dreaming and believe they are in it. they are in the audience watching the sublime flics of their soul with a box of popcorn in their lap, taking notes (like saint Peter, when he "entered into that closet")

for an adept at resting in the causual realms, one is still aware when the dreams fade and come to an end. infinite bliss and radiance is how its been described. no mind, no body, no time, but wide awake...and then watching as the soul and body fade back into awareness

we simply usually just miss the latter 2 states due to lack of practice, education, interest, religious/cultural taboos and ignorances, etc...

but we can and do peak/peek into these realms often. drugs, fasting, trauma, etc... can all kinda throw us into these states while still awake, even though we have not made them a habit of our "being," if you will (and so we "fall" back out)

also, to say that we "move thru" these states every day is one thing, but the truth is, all of these states are active and present during every breath we take. the result of practicing them is that they eventually all become present in our moment by moment awareness. we became acutely aware of ours and others' "layeredness" (even that of cats and dogs...wink2.gif;)-->)

and imo, it was this kind of inner salvation and wholeness that allowed the saints of the first century to do such amazing and wonderfully good things. i mean, when you no longer solely identify yourself with your waking/gross/body state (or just body and soul states), there is a liberation that bleeds into your behaviour and interactions. what you are simply willing and able to do and say and sacrifice expands quite a bit.

I once took a college class, intro to psyche, where they showed us films of college students who volunteered to have their brain waves monitored while they slept. They figure everybody dreams every 1 1/2 hrs all night, so I guess anyone can wake up woozy depending on what part of the sleep cycle they're in when they wake up.

Sirguess: do you do meditation?

in fact, the ole lo shanta shanta style "speaking in tongues" has played a role in some kinds of meditation for me

as it all pertains to "waking up woozy"...i have had some real profound and often startling "successes" in playing in these states since i started practicing

When I was in college I saw a lot of people who were into meditation. Two guys I lived with for a time went to a Bhuddist place in Chicago and they'd be supposed to meditate and the leader would walk among everybody and the guys said he'd know if they weren't focussed and occasionally whack them on the shoulder in a certain spot which would be painful.

I never tried it myself. In Dec of '02 I was at a John Hendricks advanced class and he asked everybody one day to sing in tongues for 2 hours during the afternoon. My wife and I sat on beach chairs on the Gulf of Mexico and did it to the tunes of Christmas carols and other familiar songs. I didn't feel "high" but it felt good.

I never would have associated this with waking up woozy though. There was a guy in my WOW twig who meditated and sometimes I wondered if he was out of control, but he didn't seem to be harmed by it.

i think "meditation" is a univeral biological process/tool

even animals and trees "meditate," in a sense

its just that some racial lineages excelled at developing more effective means of entering the dreaming and dreamless sleep states

and some excelled at recording and/or expressing these methods

also, in our age of hyper-languages, the word "meditation" is used to describe a wide variety of things

some meditation methods will get one in touch will "soul"

some will destroy the soul

some will go farther than soul

a lot of strip mall "meditations" and "yogas" these days seem to lack the traditional depth (and patience, affordability, etc...)

materialist meditations, materialist yogas, materialist churches, etc...

some good questions for Christians might be:

Did Jesus "meditate?"

Did he teach his disciples to "meditate?"

Did Abraham meditate?

Did Moses meditate?

Did Solomon meditate?

Did Ezekial meditate?

Did Paul meditate?

Did Peter meditate?

etc...

and what might this mean to our modern christian states of mind?

(and sorry if i derailed yer thread, johniam...but i've seen some strong connections between of the crude way VP taught "speaking in tongues" and various refined methods of meditation. which might benefit some here. a distant latter rain parallel development, if you ask me...kinda like ive described in the "vps spiritual spike" thread...which also has something to do with "waking up woozy" and human capacity to have visions (even of snow) and such, and many many other various states of mind can we read of in all scripture (1 Cor 2:13ff) and experience in day to day life)

• 2 weeks later...

Sirguess: I didn't feel like you derailed the thread; just added another dimension to it. TWI put their "possession stamp" on meditation, but they did that with other things, too. I've never thought of being able to control a woozy, half awake state; mine come haphazardly, but although it doesn't say that Jesus meditated, it says he got up a great while before day and prayed. Peter's vision is also significant. Even VP called it a "dormant state of mental awareness".

That guy in my WOW twig said his meditation was better when he listened to music; he specifically mentioned certain songs on "Takin' it to the streets" by the Doobies. He said taking PFAL helped his meditation, too.

yeah, "meditation" is just a word, like any other word.

some buddhist lineages seemed to have really honed the arts of it over the past centuries, but all spiritual traditions and scriptures have aspects of contemplation and meditation in them, even if they describe it with a different tongue.

and there are many styles of meditation, just as there are many recipes for tea. some zinger and honey for this, some earl grey for that...

but the common thread, is that all bloods of humanity have naturally developed valid ways to "rest in The Witness" (from Hopi to Sufi to Jesuit to Aborigine) via a simple means to a generic place where subjects becomes objects in nested layers, and "the stuff" dreams are made of becomes more tangible and useful and subordinate to increasingly "higher ground"

imo, every epistle and gospel and OT record shows many many shades and degrees of evidence that this level of human experience (reached via what we often call "meditation") was alive and well (and downright majestic) in the many of the spiritual lineages that came out of Abraham

to learn to meditate is to enter the "death" state. the last enemy (within) is finally overcome. reminds me of how we are to "trim the wicks of all the smoking candles in the temple," by becoming adept at "snuffing them," then relighting them. "meditation" practice allows us to simply see these "candles of the soul" as objects rather than subjects.

though, also, not all things called "meditation" function on the same level. a lot of McMeditation out there in materialist culture (even in Asia). a lot of crude delusional half-baked "PFALs" of meditation. they may "bump" and "rattle" us a bit and help us along and make us calm, but they do not all bring one to the same state of awareness that led Jesus to say "I AM," lt alone teach how to remain there in waking life. in other words, we might still always need to crank up that Barnes and Noble meditation CD to find "Abraham's rest"

for Christians, "contemplative christianity" is something very worth googling, imo. maybe check out Father Thomas Keating's work, too.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
"contemplative christianity" is something very worth googling

If it wasn't for the contemplative wing of christianity, I would have totally given it up a long tme ago.

The contemplatives and mystics through the ages have left us a great body of work that transcends denominations and religions and in many ways approaches the core of our human experience..