GreaseSpot Cafe

upgrading to windows 98

vickles

my daughter was given a windows 95 and it can't get online with the company that is for getting on the internet.

I heard that you can upgrade to 98 by going on the internet and downloading on microsoft. I went to microsoft and couldn't find anything that would do a upgrade. Does anyone know where I can go to download and copy?

Is there anyway to upgrade it to a xp?

You can't download any kind of upgrade to any of Microsoft's operating systems; you'll have to buy them at the computer store.

Best bet is to buy a copy of Windows XP (just skip windows 98, and do NOT get Windows ME!) and do a clean install. That means that you'll most likely have to backup ALL the documents and projects that she's been working on, and reinstall/upgrade all the applications.

Hope this helps.

Vickles, just save up for a new computer all together. Windows 95 & 98 are old, old, old.

So much has changed since then I don't know where to begin.

Even if you buy the cheapest of hardware today it will be an improvement over an old system.

And whatever you buy will alreay have XP preinstalled so you don't have to go through all the work.

Your time is valuable too.

JR

Thanks igotout, its just that my daughter just moved out on her own and doesn't have that much money. I thought I could help out by at least getting this running until she can save up on her own to have a better computer.

So its not easy to just upgrade to a 98 to get started? I had heard that its only about 35 dollars if bought on the microsoft sight but couldn't find it to upgrade.

The cheapest way to get that to work will be to buy her a new hard drive

with Windows XP pre-installed, then swap out the old drive.

As Igotout said, even a CHEAP hard-drive will have more memory than the one that

machine's running on.

Your other budget choice is to scrap using Windows for that thing.

Switch to Red Hat Linux for an operating system and load Firefox or something

for the web-browser.

=======

You may have forgotten this, but older computers have a LOT less memory,

and Windows XP may be stable, but it has a HUGE footprint. That machine she

has may not have room to run XP and anything else.

If it was running 95, it probably can't run XP, but may be able to run 98. It's not worth spending any money on a Windows 98 computer, but your daughter might very well be able to get by with one for a while.

I may be able to help you. I'll send you a PT.

quote:
Originally posted by WordWolf:

The cheapest way to get that to work will be to buy her a new hard drive

with Windows XP pre-installed, then swap out the old drive.

This will not work. XP builds it's kernel based on the hardware in the computer it's installed on. Put the hard drive in another computer, and it will not work. At least, not with out running a repair. Which is pretty much like doing a fresh installation.

Rick

I also want to mention you can't upgrade directly from Windows 95 to Windows XP. Both the Home and Pro versions of Windows XP only allow you to upgrade from Windows 98, ME, NT Workstation 4 (w/service pack 6) or Windows 2000 (with or without service packs). If your running Windows 95, you can't simply "upgrade" to any version of XP, therefore you must perform a clean install. If you don't already have Windows XP - don't buy the upgrade version to upgrade that computer, it won't work. You'll need the full version of XP if you do decide to upgrade that computer. It's either that or you will need to upgrade it twice - first to one of these older versions of Windows (not Win 95) and then use the Windows XP upgrade. I would only recommend doing that if you already own the upgrade copy of Windows XP, but if you don't, then you'll need the full version and not the upgrade version of Windows XP.

Of course a clean install also offers you the assurance you're wiping out all traces of any previous Windows problems. With a clean install your starting out with a clean Windows registry and a solid base of Windows system files. The major thing to keep in mind with Windows XP is that many programs that were originally written for Windows 3.1, Win 95 and Win 98 and also ME won't run properly under Windows XP. The biggest issue here is that some hardware devices written for those old operating systems just aren't compatible with Windows XP.

I would also echo Bluzeman's comment plus make an additional comment as to why just swapping out a hard drive with XP on it won't work in another computer. You can't simply pull a hard drive out of another computer with XP already pre-loaded on it and expect it to work in your computer system. Windows XP included a new anti-piracy feature called Windows Product Activation (WPA). Although one isn't required to register Windows XP they are required to activate it. During the activation process, Windows XP transmits an encrypted file that serves as a "fingerprint" of key components in your system. If at some point in time you reinstall XP on the exact same hardware your usually OK as the activation server checks the new fingerprint against the one that is already stored in it's database. If they match then the activation is automatic. But if they don't match ...

Let's just say the activation software is designed to prevent attempts to "clone" an activated copy of Windows XP and install it on another computer. The list of components included in this hardware "fingerprint" includes your video card, primary hard disks, disk controller, CD-ROM drive, network adapter, CPU and RAM. Now if your pulling a hard drive from another computer system with XP already installed on it and you are going to install it in another computer with the exact same hardware and setups then you might get by "swaping hard drives" that way, but then that typically isn't the scenario is it?

You may want to consider installing a fresh copy of Windows XP on the computer that you have, but keep in mind there are a list of basic hardware requirements you must absolutely have per Microsofts spec sheet. You should first check to see if that computer has the following. A minimum configuration includes:

233 MHz CPU processor - Pentium/Celeron or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron or compatible.

64 MB of RAM

1.5 GB of Hard Drive space

Video Adapter capable of Super VGA (800x600) resolution

The recommended configuration is at least a 300 MHz CPU with 128 MB of RAM. You'll also need a mouse (or other pointing device) keyboard, and CD-ROM or DVD drive. I hope this helps. Best of luck with that computer.

Just a side note here...is her internet connection broadband or dial up? Because, if it's dial up, there is no reason she shouldn't be able to get on the internet with win 95. The ISP may not "support" it, but if you make your DUN manually, it should still work.

Rick

Thanks all, I talked to AOL and she can still hook up with a win95 so we are going to check it out tomorrow.

This hopefully will work until she can get a better computer.

Thanks very much!!!!

vickles-

i suggest running aol's free trial period and get the downloads that are needed from the website i listed

then cancel aol which is twice as high as peoplepc and others like earthlink

if the others don't work, aol will gladly accept you back no doubt...

No not an upgrade but changing internet service providers. When you get on aol look up peoplepc or earthlink and download it's program and save it but don't run it yet. Also look up the phone numbers that the isp (internet service provider) has available for your area to be sure that they are not long distance. They should have a listing for your area code. Just call the numbers and see if you get the computer tones and then you will know that it will connect once you run your new isp.

Also you can ask for the cd of the isp that you want from their website and they will send it to you no problem.

Check the isp to see if it will support windows 95 from their website or a customer service phone number.