GreaseSpot Cafe

What is the best way to lose weight (and quickest)?

waterbuffalo

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scout,

We got one as a wedding gift...it's a Hamilton Beach 14 speed blender. We've used it heavily over the last year and three months for smoothies, margaritas, cooking, and all kinds of things. It's held up beautifully.

I have a 10 speed Osterizer and I bet I've had it for about 15 or more years! I put ice in mine when I'm making my shakes. Mind you, it only about 3 to 4 pieces of ice at a time, but it's still working just fine icon_smile.gif:)-->

gc

maybe I am trying to put too much stuff at once in it.

gc, when you put ice in 3 or 4 pieces at a time, do you already have other things in it?

cindy!, do you put much ice in yours at the same time and with other stuff?

I have had the blades get bent on some blenders, the cogs on the underside of the blend mechanism that fit into the cogs on top of the motor crack and break on blenders that I have only had a few months. I have had this happen with $20 blenders and $50 blenders. Do I need to buy the $100+blender I just saw at Costco?

Scout, Yes, usually milk, yogurt and bananas etc. After a few moments I have to stop the machine so that the ice cubes drop to the bottom, then start the blender on one of the highest settings. I do this repeatedly until its chopped into very tiny pieces.

gc

Abigail, here are some more of the foods you asked about.....

Zucchini-cholesterol Zapper, Detoxifier

The entire vegetable is edible including its flesh, skin and seeds, a good source of vitamins A, B6, C and potassium, magnesium, folate, rioflavin and fiber. Many of the nutrients help prevent atherosclerosis and diabetic heart disease. The magnesium in zucchini reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke, the potassium helps bring down high blood pressure, the vitamin C and beta-carotene helps prevent the oxidation of cholesterol, keeping atherosclerosis at bay and the vitamin B6 and folate are used to break down "homocysteine" a substance that contributes to heart disease.

The high fiber content absorbs cancer-causing toxins, keeping them away from cells in the colon and the beta-carotene has anti-inflammatory properties that fight conditions such as asthma, arthritis, and irritable bowel syndrome.

Recommended Usage- Daily, as desired

The flavor of zucchini is sweetest when it is less than 6 inches long.

I haven't tried this but its an idea Zucchini Chips-thin slices of zucchini in a 350 degree oven for about 15 minutes, throw on some seasonings if you want.

Olive Oil-Cholesterol Zapper, Detoxifier, Blood-Sugar Stablizer.

Today on grocery shelves you'll find a number of grades of olive oil - ranging from "premium extra virgin" to "light" Premium extra-virgin olive oil is produced by pressing perfectly ripe olives within 24hrs of their being harvested. It contains the highest density of powerful antioxidants called "polyphenols" known for attacking free radicals before they can do their cholesterol-raising damage.

Extra-virgin olive oil is made from the first pressing of olives, while virgin olive oil comes from olives that are slightly riper. Pure olive oil is a commercial grade blend of olive pulp, skins and pits. Light olive oil results from the final pressing of a batch of olives and carries little of the true aroma and flavor of olive oil.

Although olive oil is a fat, it still ranks as a Fat flushing food. It deserves this status because of its monounsaturated fat, which decreases LDL cholesterol and the risk of heart disease. In addition the natural antioxidants in olive oil help lower cholesterol levels, maintain a healthy blood pressure and guard against the toxins that can cuase against breast cancer.

Because of its low acidity level, especially in the higher grades of oil, olive oil is easier to digest compared to most other fats. It also has a high vitamin E content which may help reduce the frequency and/or intensity of hot flashes in women going through menopause. And by consumming small amounts of this good fat, you'll help satisfy your appetite and keep your blood sugar on an even keel.

Recommended Usage- Up to 1 tablespoon per day.

quote:
Originally posted by Scout Finch:

I would like to be able to make fruit smoothies and vegetable juice type things, but I have ruined every blender I have had in the last ten years.

Can anyone recommend a really good and sturdy blender that can crush ice and puree chunks of fruit or veggies?

Thanks.

For years I have used a Hamilton Beach commercial bar blender. I bought mine used at a restaurant sale. They are built to eat ice and laugh for more Scout. You can find one at any restaurant supply or check out auctions in your area or a used equipment store.

About a month ago a did buy a new one however mainly for the pour spout and color though. It works great also so far, the brand is Back To Basics smoothie splash. get a good one with 400+ Wats and most now have ice crushing blades listed under features. They will be considerably cheaper than the commercial one.

Scout Finch, I love Samosas but because they are usually deep fried, I tend to stay away from them. I have this old recipe for them that I'm going to try out this afternoon, I've made a few changes, I'm going to use "Spelt Flour" and bake them intead. The filling is potatoes, carrots, peas, lean ground chicken, onion, garlic ginger, mustard seeds, coriander, cayenne, olive oil and lemon juice.

If you're interested in the recipe, let me know and I'll post both of them.

Cowgirl

Cindy!

Does your family like oatmeal? I love oatmeal and a friend gave me a baked oatmeal breakfast recipe. If you are interested, I'll dig it out and post it.

Oops. I put this on wrong thread. Should be on breakfast recipe thread. If you want recipe, I'll post it there.