GreaseSpot Cafe

What is the best way to lose weight (and quickest)?

waterbuffalo

Does anyone know? Have there been scientific studies? Is it individual? What has worked for you?

I need help because I can't wear a lot of my clothes anymore. I suppose it would help if I quit stuffing myself with dessert everyday, huh? Anyway, I've gotta lose to fit into one of my suits to interview in. LOL!

HELP!!!!!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, for just a quick fix for getting into an outfit, I recommend this soup.

I used it for quite awhile when I was getting back into dieting. Now I use it to jump-start myself back into better eating habits...or to get into something that's a tad too tight...or just to eat on a weekend when I don't want to heat up the house.

For long-term weight loss, I recommend seeing your physician...because losing weight is a very specific chore for each individual's body.

From what I have heard, any RAPID weight loss is not a good thing.

If you lose ten pounds in ten days, its very likely that most of the loss is water. Not good.

Proper food and exercise is the best way to go.

Even with that, you're safer if you talk to a doc..

Hi Waterbuffalo,

What worked for me is a combination of running and free weights. The free weights will, give you some great muscle tone, in the legs and butt and your arms also. It's the strength training that will speed up your metabolism and burn the fat even more so than aerobic exercise.

And I'm not talking about heavy weights either. Don't get me wrong there is definitely alot of benefits to aerobic exercise so I do a combination of both (I love long distance running so that's my personal choice of aerobic exercise) and I have reaped the rewards of both. As far as the best way to lose weight in my opinion, it's HEALTHY EATING, STRENGTH TRAINING and some form of AEROBIC EXERCISE, I know it's NOT the fastest but you will definitely love the results and your clothes will fit!!!

Cowgirl

WB,

I agree with Mr H. Losing weight quickly isn't a good idea. In fact, if you do you will gain all the weight back and then some. If I were you I wouldn't worry about sliming down quickly to fit into a suit. Instead, go buy a new dark suit that that fits comfortably and helps you appear slimmer at the same time. It would look more professional than a smaller suit that looks like you shoe horned your way in.

As for losing weight, I would suggest a change of lifestyle. This past year I have lost 30 lbs and 4 inches from my waist (and acquired a decent set of pecs and shoulders) by following (loosely) a nutrition program and regular exercise (3 to 4 times a week).

The nutrition component calls for a daily intake of 160 grams of protein, no more than 30 grams of fat, 120 grams of carbs. You get three cheat meals a week (eat anything you want and as much as you want). Spread out your meals during the day. Eat six smaller meals rather than 3 larger meals.

The exercise portion should involve both cardio

(walking, running, swimming or biking) and resistence training (pumping iron). If a gym membership doesn't work for you now for whatever reason then pick up some dumb bells (preferably a set that allows you to select the amount of resistence by adding or taking off plates. Find a good exercise book. A Body for Life by Bill Phillips is a good one. It also has a good nutrition plan.

I went to a dietician, and follow a 1600 (most days) calorie balanced diet(low sodium.) It is pretty heavy on veggies and fruits,light on fats and meat.Whole grains, very little refined stuff.So many fruits serving per day, so many grain etc. I haven't lost weight quickly but am often pleasantly surprised when I get on the scale.

My husband follows a diabetic type of low carb diet, with lots of veggies, and fruits only with a meal that has protein, very few starchy carbs. His blood sugar has been excellent while on it.

I was ill this winter and lost 10 pounds in little over a week. That left me with big bags under the eyes--even though I felt better I didn't look it!

WOW! Thanks everyone. Sounds like good advice all the way around. That working out with weights idea might work because I find myself needing strengthing exercises more now that I'm, shall we say, more seasoned! Ha.

That food link is great, too. I'm dreading searching for a suit that I know I'll soon find too large, but then again, if I don't change my habits, it won't be (shutter).

quote:
Originally posted by CoolWaters:

Well, for just a quick fix for getting into an outfit, I recommend this soup.

I used it for quite awhile when I was getting back into dieting. Now I use it to jump-start myself back into better eating habits...or to get into something that's a tad too tight...or just to eat on a weekend when I don't want to heat up the house.

For long-term weight loss, I recommend seeing your physician...because losing weight is a very specific chore for each individual's body.

My doctor took a look at this diet and thought it was a good one. Its called the Cabbage soup diet and you can also find it on the web.

I have diabetes and was on medication...not only did I lose weight but after two years I have not had to go back on the meds.

quote:
Originally posted by waterbuffalo:

You were on that cabbage soup for 2 yrs?

NO!

Waterbuffalo, I didn't say I was on the Cabbage Soup diet for two years. I said that for two years I have been able to keep my diabetes at a level that I don't have to take meds for it. The diet helped me to get to that place.

ok, didn't think so. how often were you on it during the 2 yrs. span?

this is sorta like fasting, isn't it, or not? also, fasting messes up your metabolism and blood sugar but it's good for you too icon_confused.gif:confused:--> i'm a bit confused on that subject. anyone know the answer to that one?

Edited by waterbuffalo

It's basically the First Law of Thermodynamics. If you take in more calories than you expend, you will gain weight; if you expend mare than you take in, you will lose weight. This is why EXERCISE is so important for losing weight (and maintaining the loss). Also, muscle requires more energy to maintain, so an increase in lean muscle mass will allow you to burn calories more easily. Cowgirl's mix of aerobic and weight exercise is a good one, though you'll need to determine how much you can handle, especially if you haven't been particularly active. (One hard workout at the gym and then a week in bed recovering won't do it!) Consult a physician; but the basic gist is EAT LESS, EXERCISE MORE.

P.S. My wife tried the cabbage soup diet a few years ago. She lost about five pounds in the first week from a bad case of the runs! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

George

LOL George. It does tend to clean out the system.

If you google cabbage soup diet you will see some sites that tell you what the soup diet is. I never starved myself through this diet and it is pretty healthy.

Its not the kind of diet to stay on forever but it does give you a good start on eating healthy foods.

Waterbuffalo, If you want to keep things moving, your best bet is fresh fruit and vegies and whole grains which are loaded with fiber, (also known as your complex carbohydrates) plus they are chalked full with vitamins and nutrients, the average person should be consuming between 30-35 grams of fiber a day.

Cowgirl

PS DRINK LOTS OF WATER