GreaseSpot Cafe

My Son Leaves for Germany on Sunday

Hills Bro

My son AJ was selected to represent the USA 19 yr old Rochester Select Hockey team that plays in an International tournament next week in Fussen, Germany. It is not only a sporting event but it will be an educational event as well. Every day they tour a differant historical site before playing their game. Much of the trip was paid for by fundraisers such as a golf tournament, bottle drives and car wash. Basically all I had to pay for was his AirFare. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Any one from Germany? He is a bit anxious about going because of all the recent bombings in London. On the other hand he was told that there is no drinking age in Germany ,home to the worlds best bruski ,which has balanced his choice to go and have fun. icon_razz.gif:P--> confused.gif

As players they were warned not to be too arrogant. Let me guess... they represent USA .. get to wear uniforms with USA and the American Flag on the front of their jersey and they are what? suppose to be ashamed to play for USA? shyttt.. I told him to be proud to represent USA and have fun... enjoy the German brew and stay away from the German woman unless they shave their legs and offer to buy his brew. icon_smile.gif:)--> nono5.gif Any other advise I should give him? icon_biggrin.gif:D--> wave.gif:wave:-->

nono5.gif

Hills,

I was stationed in Bamberg Germany for 3 years.

I would highly reccomend that he learn basic greetings such as:

Gruss Gott (used in bavaria)

Gutton Morgan (good morning)

Gutton Abon (good after noon)

Gutton Tag (good evening)

bitte (please)

danke (thanks)

danke shane (formal thank you)

important note!!!

counting begings with the thumb not the index finger. example: ordering a beer with the index finger is ordering 2 beers. with the thumb up is 1 beer.

a phrase for your son to say to a girl:

Mine schatze, kom en sie heir bitte mit der hosen en der hand. wink2.gif;)-->

I can give you more information if you would like. It might be better to exchange info in PT's.

not bad for useful phrases, but I think you have tag and abendt backwards, tag is day, abendt is evening.

um not arrogant is not the same thing as being not proud. Sure he should be proud, being arrogant is not good sportsmanship anyway.

~HAP

quote:
important note!!!

counting begings with the thumb not the index finger. example: ordering a beer with the index finger is ordering 2 beers. with the thumb up is 1 beer.

Hmmm -- I bet he'll conviniently forget that piece of advice! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Tell him to do us (read U.S.), and himself proud.