GreaseSpot Cafe

Fred Phelps Baptists protest sodiers funeral

Ron G.

Phelps' Group Protests At Soldier's Funeral Fri Aug 5, 7:58 PM ET

Members of the Rev. Fred Phelps' Westboro Baptist Church in Topeka, Kan., are picketing military funerals, KMBC's Micheal Mahoney reported Friday.

The group has made national headlines for traveling throughout the country to picket gay churches, gay weddings, and the funeral of Matthew Shepard, a gay college student who was murdered in Wyoming in 1998.

Friday, about 15 members of the group -- some of them children -- picketed the funeral of a St. Joseph soldier who was killed in Iraq. Mahoney reported that the group stood across the road from the Grace Evangelical Church during the funeral of 21-year-old Spc. Edward Myers.

"The first sin was being a part of this military. If this young man had a clue and any fear of God, he would have run, and not walked, from this military," said protester Shirley Phelps-Roper. "Who would serve a nation that is godless and has flipped off, defiantly defied, defiantly flipped off, the Lord their God?"

One protester had an American flag tied to his belt that draped to the ground. He was holding a sign that read, "Thank God For IEDs," which are explosive devices used by insurgents to blow up military convoys.

Protesters said America has ignored the word of God, and those who defend the nation must pay a price.

"That's the first piece of solid evidence that you have that the young man is currently in hell," Phelps-Roper said.

"The soldier is in hell now, you believe?" Mahoney asked.

"Absolutely," Phelps-Roper said.

'Protesters Were Rude'

About a dozen veterans stood across the road from the protesters, and Mahoney reported that there were some harsh words and insults traded between the two groups. However, sheriff deputies were stationed about 100 yards away and there was no violence.

"The protesters were so rude -- were disrespectful," said veteran Jim Fields.

"Do I like it? No, I don't. But what can you say, it's a free country," said veteran Dave Campbell.

Veterans told KMBC that a member of the soldier's family shouted at the protesters to leave, and they left about 20 minutes after the funeral started. Mahoney reported that there was applause from veterans and other crowd members when the protesters left.

After the funeral was over, one of the mourners commented on the irony of the protesters showing up at a soldier's funeral.

"They shouldn't protest the funeral for a man who was out there dying to protect the rights that they're demanding they receive," said Marvin Russell.

Russell said he thinks the soldier's family saw the protesters.

"I think it saddened them. They didn't say anything outright, but you could tell by the way they looked down that this was a sad thing to do. They're already in mourning, they don't need people like this to make it worse," Russell said.

Myers was buried with full military honors in Leavenworth National Cemetery. He leaves behind a wife and two children.

One of the protesters said the group is planning to picket other military funerals.

They were protesting some homosexual issue up here in Duluth, and one of the kids involved in the protest was interviewed on tv, and asked about God's love, and she replied:

"God is Love. That is why He can hate with a perfect hate."

banghead.gifbanghead.gif

My personal opinion -- these folks should be put out of their misery, but like the article said,

It's a free country, and I can't argue with that.

David

Well gee I get to see them every day at least once. Lucky me! Those kids never had much of a chance when they were younger they were forced to spend the day from dawn to dusk peddling candy for their dad. Two of them escaped when they got older one was in the Way here, married a nice girl and last I knew has a business in California. The family disowned them. Lucky them!!! Most of the family are attorneys they have a big law firm here. They sue the city on a regular basis and generally win so they pretty much get their way now.

quote:
The first amendment protects free speech. It does not grant the right to do what those people did. We've gone way overboard in allowing people to disrupt other people's peaceful activities.

Kinda like yelling "FIRE" in a crowded theatre, eh?

I agree.

A funeral is a private occasion, IMO, even when conducted as a more "public" memorial/tribute where the community is welcome. Free speech doesn't give these nut cases the right to disturb grieving families. This Phelps guy is an embarrassment to the human race.

Thankfully the Phelps insanity defines itself well. Otherwise I personally would be tempted to let them visit the friendly end of my firepower!

Here's an excerpt about this sick puppy which if not insane would be almost comical.

quote:
Phelps also wrote a book in the 1980s with his son-in-law, Brent D. Roper, called "The Conspiracy." In the book, Roper and Phelps claim to possess evidence that: AIDS spontaneously generated in Africa; Truman Capote contracted the disease during an orgy with African tribesmen; Capote then gave the disease to John F. Kennedy and Robert Kennedy by playing football with them; that John F. Kennedy and Robert Kennedy had a menage a trois with Marilyn Monroe and gave her the disease; and that the CIA assassinated all three to prevent the spread of the disease. Phelps published and distributed the book himself; it was also sold in the back of Peter J. Peters catalogue of extremist literature, and thus became a widely circulated text among such groups as the Ku Klux Klan, Aryan Brotherhood, and Christian Identity.

White Dove,

One of them was in twi in Topeka? Well...from one cult to another...which, in this case, was terrifyingly (because twi was a better option than Westboro Baptist) good move for them...sigh.

I'll never forget the first week we had pulled into town...driving around with California plates on our car (we were soooooo bold!)...ran into Freddy Boy and his gang at 10th and Gage...just sitting at the stop light minding our own business, trying not to stare at the freak show...and ol' Freddy jumps at me through my open passenger's side window and yells, "You're a lesbian and your 'boy' there is a faggot!"

Our kids (7 and 16 at the time) cracked up laughing...thankfully...as did we. We had never even heard of the clan until that day. Well, laughing at Freddy is one of the worst things you can do to him...as we were to find out later.

That day started an eleven year 'relationship' that was both frightening (Jonathan hit my husband with his SUV) and hilarious (we used to video tape Fred video taping us...and he'd call the cops and the cops would tell him there was nothing they could do about it because all of us were on public property and not breaking any laws...tee hee...we got some great videos of his foolishness!!!).

All in all I have to say that whatever the message, I am thankful that Fred and his clan have been able to hold the Topeka tyranny hounds at bay when it comes to a person's rights to protest.

Yet I also have to agree that there is a line in which one's 'rights' are no longer acceptable...and disturbing the peace of a private funeral is over that line...imo.

As far as the children are concerned...many, many times I made formal complaints to Child Protective Services about those children being out in extreme weather for hours and hours at a time. Nobody would even accept the complaint to investigate.

Had that been anybody else, CPS would have been all over those parents and most likely would have had those children in state's custody.

The city of Topeka used to give Freddy and his clan special police protection wherever they were 'protesting'.

The underlying message from the 'powers that be' in Topeka (both city and state governments) is that Freddy is right...and regardless of his actions, nobody official is going to look into the possibility of criminal activity.

When this point was made to the Topeka city council, instead of using their heads and looking at possible criminal activity, the Topeka city council chose, instead, to start drawing up laws aimed particularly at Freddy and his clan...which is an absolute no-no in a free country...which is why Freddy et al has been able to sue Topeka...and sometimes being successful.

As far as the state government is concerned, well, the Phelps law group is deeply engrained as an institution unto itself on behalf of the State of Kansas. The group practically runs every aspect of the Department of Corrections when it comes to parolees, the group is in deep where it concerns child support enforcement activities (I've heard...but don't know the truth of...that it was the Phelps' group that came up with the 'wanted' posters for those who are behind on their payments), if a person owes the State of Kansas any money for any reason, more than likely the collections activities will be handled by the Phelps'...and on and on.

In other words, the Phelps' are not just some right-wing, lunatic fringe cult group that nobody likes...

They are a highly regarded, deeply engrained, acceptable part of society both in the private and public sectors.

Of course, Kansas has a long, long history of such a relationship with such cults...

Interesting, Chatty.

What amazes me more than the fact that someone like Fred Phelps exists is that there are other people willing to associate themselves with him. But then I think of groups like the KKK and it's not that much of a stretch.

As CW pointed out there have been some pluses attributed to this man. However for him to be an authority of any capacity in child support is what I'd deem an oxymoron. With what I've read of him he wouldn't qualify as one who dealt lovingly with his children. Although I imagine he'd argue he protected them. And to that in another world I might be tempted to say to each his own but in the real world his form of protection while claiming to stand on the statutes of God dips into the opposite of what my brother Jesus Christ exhibited on this earth.

So he gained and apparently from CW continues to in some capacity for the good of the community but while doing so the backdoor does swing wide open and shut as the activity to discredit and divide our nation makes itself known on occasion like this funeral.

To have so little personal dignity that you would use your right to stand and protest itself defines louder than I could preach for the remainder of my life.

David, I have apparently confused you; my apologies.

You said : "My personal opinion -- these folks should be put out of their misery"

About whom were you speaking?

We're both confused, but surely can clear it up in a few posts here.

icon_smile.gif:)-->

quote:
You said : "My personal opinion -- these folks should be put out of their misery"

About whom were you speaking?

(In his dreams, GarthP aims a high powered rifle at Freddie boy)

Does that answer your question? wink2.gif;)-->

White Dove,

An apologist I may be...for some of the things he and his clan do...but one who supports, I am not.

From Merriam-Webster online:

quote:
Main Entry: apol·o·gist

Pronunciation: &-'pä-l&-jist

Function: noun

: one who speaks or writes in defense of someone or something

Main Entry: 1sup·port

Pronunciation: s&-'pOrt, -'port

Function: transitive verb

Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French supporter, from Late Latin supportare, from Latin, to carry, from sub- + portare to carry -- more at FARE

1 : to endure bravely or quietly : BEAR

2 a (1) : to promote the interests or cause of (2) : to uphold or defend as valid or right : ADVOCATE (3) : to argue or vote for b (1) : ASSIST, HELP (2) : to act with (a star actor) (3) : to bid in bridge so as to show support for c : to provide with substantiation : CORROBORATE

3 a : to pay the costs of : MAINTAIN b : to provide a basis for the existence or subsistence of

4 a : to hold up or serve as a foundation or prop for b : to maintain (a price) at a desired level by purchases or loans; also : to maintain the price of by purchases or loans

5 : to keep from fainting, yielding, or losing courage : COMFORT

6 : to keep (something) going

The difference may be subtle...in the eyes of some...but there is a huge difference.

(See? An apologist need not be ashamed! wink2.gif;)--> LMAO!)

Hey Cool

You know I was just messin with you!!! I just passed your pals on Gage at the church on 17th. They apparently dont like bricks either as there is no one else around the building they are picketing. I bet we could write a book with crazy Phelps stories. Yes Mark was in the Way here around 74 at the start of the western house.

They did finally discontinue the special police protection for them so it is open season now. Of course they will have it all on tape for court. I don't know about them being highly regarded though at least judging from the hand gestures I just saw anyway. icon_smile.gif:)--> Then again maybe they were trying to get their attention to wave hi wave.gif:wave:--> But I doubt it.