GreaseSpot Cafe

The Icing on the Cake!

templelady

If you're Alaskan you get used to the rest of the country telling us how we should run our state

Dog mushing (NO)

Wolf hunting (NO)

Mining (NO)

ANWR and petroleum developement (NO)

Logging (NO)

Fishing (NO)

HAving an elephant in our zoo (NO)

BUt this morning was the final straw.

We are now being told we are responsible for New Orleans flooding. That's right, since Alaska's Congressional team managed to get funding for roads and bridges for our state -that supposedly meant New Orleans couldn't have funds to repair their levees.

Never mind that they've known for at least 20 years that the levees they had weren't up to the job. Never mind that they didn't get the appropriations in prior years either.

When in doubt, Blame it on Alaska icon_frown.gif:(-->

Edited by templelady

I know I don't live in Alaska. But if I did I'd take a week off and go hunting and fishing and then leave all the guts on the door step of the local environental office.

My sister use to manage reservations for Midway Island out in the Pacific. The government put so many restrictions on the fishing that it stopped all the fishing. Well that is all the U.S. fishing. They finally closed down everything to the piont that it closed the airport.

Oh Alaskans keep doing those things on our list of "No-No's" (except ANWR icon_frown.gif:(--> )

It's just we get chastised on a regular basis--It's not the Daily News unless we publish on a regular basis letters from Florida, Minnesota, Tennessee etc about how ashamed we should be for for doing (insert your favorite here)

I have a couple of buds, brothers, who are the quntissential hillbillies and have pretty much lived off the land all their lives.

They went to Alaska a few years back and went as far as they could from any cities or towns and built themselves a little cabin and lived there. No one cared until they decided they wanted some fresh meat, so they went out and shot some sort of wild sheep.

According to them, it's okay when there's no snow on the ground, but if it's winter, they have to use a tarp when cleaning their kill since, evidently, helicopters routinely fly over and look for blood spots in the snow with human tracks. They then follow the tracks and arrest the evil doers.

My buds came back complaining about that and the extremely short growing season there.

According to them, hunting licenses are very, very expensive and very restrictive. They don't make exceptions for survival or "meat for the table" like we do here.

I think they're off seeking adventure elsewhere, now. I haven't seen them in a little over a year.

THe issue of "survival" hunting in Alaska is frought with political fire in Alaska

THe NAtives of Alaska Yupik and Inuit Eskimos, and Various Indian tribes are covered by the Alaska Native Settlement Act. which grants them certain rights--rights different that the rights of Native Americans in the lower 49 stats since the act did not give them tribal status (something they are fighting in federal court, yet again, as I type)

The Federal Government says that Survival hunting has to be equally applied. This has led to more arguments about , who, what , where when then I care to even think about

The Katie Johns Case

http://www.law2.byu.edu/jpl/volumes/vol15_no2/Peelfinal.PDF

revolved around this issue

So we have the natives, the state, the feds, and the rest of the state each with their own factions and factions within factions

politics in Alaska is sooo much FUN!! confused.gif

Well, Alaska needs to be blamed!

Oh...sorry...I slipped out of body there for a minute. Anything exciting come out? wink2.gif;)--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

You know it's just jealousy. Right?

And what happened to Subsistance? Bill always got us on the Subsistance programs every year...not that we did much with the opportunities...but we could have.

And speaking of politics in Alaska, are there still such things as "Spenard Divorces"? icon_biggrin.gif:D-->