GreaseSpot Cafe

born again with/without Trinity

penguin

Not sure how to phrase this..but I remember lcm yelling about those who believe in the Trinity cannot get born again since they didn't know who Jesus Christ really was.

My questions:

If you believe in Trinity now, do you think those of us who don't believe in it can be born again?

If you don't believe in Trinity now, do you think those who do believe in it can be born again?

OR

Do you think it doesn't matter becuase God had to make things as easy as possible for us to get born again and that Romans 10:9-10 does not mention believe Jesus Christ is God but that we confess him as Lord?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just finished a book called "The Lost Christianities" by a Professor at one of the huge divinity schools.

It was a very thorough, objective look at all of the different types of Christianity that appeared in the first and second centuries, from manuscripts that have been found - scholarly, but a layman can easily understand. You can read about Paul fighting all of these different types, some quite large, in his epistles. It was fascinating. It looked at the Marcionites, ebonites, gnostics, proto-orthodox (what we are today), and other groups. Also, other things.

I found the trinity interesting. The church found it necessary to describe who Christ was because you had several influential groups saying many and various different things about Christ and who he was.

One group said he was a phantom - he appeared real, but was not, he was more a spirit in bodily form; one group said he was totally human and the "Christ" spirit came in at his baptism by John and left during the crucifiction (can you imagine the horror of the poor guy who's body was "borrowed" by the Christ spirit coming to his senses on the cross, wondering - how did I get here?!); one group said he was totally divine; one group said he was an emanation; plus various other beliefs, there were a lot of differing opinions on who he was.

We think Christians today are divided - the first and second centuries were amazing.

Anyway, the leadership had to decide who Christ was in order to combat these heresies. He wasn't a "god", yet he wasn't just a "person" invaded by spirit, nor just a perfect person. On the whole, I think they came up with a pretty good way of explaining who he was that effectively combated the heresies.

Most ex-twiers erroneously think trinitarians think Christ is God. This is wrong. They do not believe that. We can thank VP for this.

They believe the ESSENCE of God was in Christ reconciling men to God. Therefore, he was human, yet had the essence of the Father in him.

To think of the essence concept, think of a block of silver (God). Think of the corner being chipped off and living on earth. God and Christ were of the same essence. Christ was not bigger than God or God.

Trinitarians tend to use the term, or say that Christ was God. What they mean is Christ had God's essence - its a shorthand term, just as TWI had many they use that others go, what?.

I finally understood why though, they call Christ the "incarnation" (note, I did not say "reincarnation").

So, many may dislike the trinity concept, but imagine how Christianity and society would have been different today if the other views had won out.

quote:
Originally posted by Sunesis:

Most ex-twiers erroneously think trinitarians think Christ is God. This is wrong. They do not believe that. We can thank VP for this.

Sunesis erroneously thinks NO trinitarian thinks Christ IS God. This is wrong.

SOME of them believe that. I've listened to them say it OUTRIGHT.

quote:

They believe the ESSENCE of God was in Christ reconciling men to God. Therefore, he was human, yet had the essence of the Father in him.

I've no doubt SOME trinitatians believe that, but I know of some that do NOT.

Just as there were multiple opinions in the early centuries, there's differences

of opinion even among trinitarians.

quote:

To think of the essence concept, think of a block of silver (God). Think of the corner being chipped off and living on earth. God and Christ were of the same essence. Christ was not bigger than God or God.

Trinitarians tend to use the term, or say that Christ was God. What they mean is Christ had God's essence - its a shorthand term, just as TWI had many they use that others go, what?.

SOME of them do, some of them mean it LITERALLY and SPECIFICALLY.

quote:

I finally understood why though, they call Christ the "incarnation" (note, I did not say "reincarnation").

As far as I'm concerned, whether a Christian believes in the pre-Trib, mid-Trib

or post-Trib position, he is still a Christian.

If a Christian believes in charismata, "gifts" or "manifestations" present now,

or is a cessationist, he is still a Christian.

If a Christian believes salvation can be lost, or in OSAS, he is still a Christian.

If a Christian is a trinitarian or not, he is still a Christian.

I've heard numbers of Christians of different positions declare categorically that

all Christians whose doctrines (these or others) are different from theirs are not

TRULY Christians. I've heard it, and I shall hear it again.

I consider it overly simplistic and incorrect.

Therefore, all those who dismiss other Christians are themselves not Christian.

(That was a joke.

As I see it, they're ALL Christians.)

Please note I'm not saying there aren't things that exclude one from being a

Christian-just that the things most people call "deal-breakers" are nothing of the

kind.

P.S. Sunesis- I meant no insult by disagreeing with you-I just disagree.

quote:

I just finished a book called "The Lost Christianities" by a Professor at one of the huge divinity schools.

It was a very thorough, objective look at all of the different types of Christianity that appeared in the first and second centuries, from manuscripts that have been found - scholarly, but a layman can easily understand. You can read about Paul fighting all of these different types, some quite large, in his epistles. It was fascinating. It looked at the Marcionites, ebonites, gnostics, proto-orthodox (what we are today), and other groups. Also, other things.

I found the trinity interesting. The church found it necessary to describe who Christ was because you had several influential groups saying many and various different things about Christ and who he was.

One group said he was a phantom - he appeared real, but was not, he was more a spirit in bodily form; one group said he was totally human and the "Christ" spirit came in at his baptism by John and left during the crucifiction (can you imagine the horror of the poor guy who's body was "borrowed" by the Christ spirit coming to his senses on the cross, wondering - how did I get here?!); one group said he was totally divine; one group said he was an emanation; plus various other beliefs, there were a lot of differing opinions on who he was.

We think Christians today are divided - the first and second centuries were amazing.

Anyway, the leadership had to decide who Christ was in order to combat these heresies. He wasn't a "god", yet he wasn't just a "person" invaded by spirit, nor just a perfect person. On the whole, I think they came up with a pretty good way of explaining who he was that effectively combated the heresies.

So, many may dislike the trinity concept, but imagine how Christianity and society would have been different today if the other views had won out.

Sun

I am ex-twier who now believes in the trinity. I believe Jesus is God in the flesh. See John 1.

I believe he was fully God and fully man.

As for the question. I believe when we accepted Jesus as Lord, none of us knew him for who he really was at the time. If we surrended to his lordship, then he will bring us closer to him and we will know the Truth.

I find it interesting how Christ reveals himself to those in cultures other than our westernized Judeo/Christian one.

In India, you will see colorful pictures of Christ dressed just at Krishna with flowers, etc.

He appeared to Black Elk (see Black Elk Speaks), as an Indian with the great Eagle feather in his hair.

There are other examples, but these are the two I can think of right now.

He is who he is to other peoples and cultures, that maybe, had Tertillian and others had lived today, they would find heretical.

I think it does not matter to God if one is a trinitarian or not, or is of one denomination or the other - the main question, is, have you accepted him as your Lord?

I too am went "trinitarian" a few years after I left TWI. There are varieties of Trinitarians too.

I was just saying, I understand the great need there was back in the 1st and 2nd centuries to solidify who Christ was - or Christianity would have become and small footnote in history.

Sunny,

Do you mean that trinitarians don't really know that they don't believe in the trinity? I was raised to believe in the trinity and never heard your definition before. I would guess I'm not alone. Essence never entered "three persons in one God" discussions. Mystery, however, always entered the definition.

It seems a mystery to me how one would know Christ was dressed as Krishna, as opposed to Krishna being dressed as Krishna, or Eagle-feather, etc. Jesus Christ wasn't hanging at airports banging a tamborine. He wasn't smoking peyote to give people peace. Seems the only way to know him is to read him; i.e., the Word.

Personally, no I can't say in my heart of hearts that I believe Jesus was God. But, I do believe I am a Christian and it doesn't matter to God if I believe in the trinity, true or not. I think all of this bothers us more than it bothers God.

icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

quote:
Originally posted by irisheyes:

Sunny,

Do you mean that trinitarians don't really know that they don't believe in the trinity

Oftentimes what "regular" folk believe and what the theologians believe are two different things.

Your typical "man on the street" Christian couldn't tell you why he believes what he believes, or explain any inconsistancies; Jesus = God or not.

quote:

Yes indeed. It's good to see others appreciating this fact.

quote:

Anyway, the leadership had to decide who Christ was in order to combat these heresies.

Who's to assume that "the leadership" that ultimately determined "who was Christ was" in their doctrinal conception was correct - while all others which did not march in step with their scope of opinion - "heresies"?

Danny

quote:
Originally posted by Oakspear:

quote:
Originally posted by irisheyes:

Sunny,

Do you mean that trinitarians don't really know that they don't believe in the trinity

Oftentimes what "regular" folk believe and what the theologians believe are two different things.

Your typical "man on the street" Christian couldn't tell you why he believes what he believes, or explain any inconsistancies; Jesus = God or not.

In some cases, he may not even know that much.

Back in my twi days, I had a Roman Catholic agreeing with the twi

position and surprised that there was a position like the one

mentioned earlier-with Jesus co-equal with his Father.

Part of the reason is the phrasing. I asked him things in plain

English, and answered in plain English. He answered from his

understanding. If I employed "buzz words", his answers would have

been rote, and not from understanding.

quote:
Originally posted by TheInvisibleDan:

quote:

Anyway, the leadership had to decide who Christ was in order to combat these heresies.

Who's to assume that "the leadership" that ultimately determined "who was Christ was" in their doctrinal conception was correct - while all others which did not march in step with their scope of opinion - "heresies"?

Danny

Obviously, the leadership determines that.

For that, you can thank Constantine, the father of

orthodoxy. He decided to use Christians as a political

lever, and to do that he needed to found orthodoxy.

quote:
Originally posted by WordWolf:

Now that just has little or nothing to do with the doctrine of the Trinity. Theophilus, Novatian, Tertullian, and Origen (all of whom explicitly used the word "trinity" in their writings) lived long before Constantine converted to Christianity and published the Edict of Milan in 313.

By the way, more on the Edict of Milan:

Wikipedia article

Interestingly, if you actually look at the FACTS of the situation, you'll find that there was "tolerance" of Christianity under Constantine. Domination of Christianity and supression/persecution of other beliefs (particularly paganism) didn't start until Theodosius (even though we learned through TWI that it was Constantine to blame). See here (again, from the Medievel Sourcebook) for more.

quote:
Originally posted by Mark:

quote:
Originally posted by WordWolf:

Now that just has little or nothing to do with the doctrine of the Trinity.

It doesn't relate SPECIFICALLY to that one doctrine, and I never said it DID.

The question I was answering was

"Who's to assume that 'the leadership' that ultimately determined 'who Christ was'

in their doctrinal conception was correct-while all others who did not march in

step with their scope of opinion-'heresies'?

Constantine pushed for a single unified doctrine in order to have a political base.

Under Constantine, minority opinions-including Jews-faced the first step of many

that led to death or marginalization.

If twi taught THAT, I didn't hear it.

I was reading "Constantine's Sword" earlier this year.

If twi happened to get a detail correct here or there, then they did.

Ah Danny - to the victor goes the spoils! - and rewriting history and cohering the church and deciding which books would make up the canon.

The leadership who "won" in this case was the fellowships of Rome. Why? All roads led to Rome. Rome was the center of the empire and everything emanated from there. People had money, power, contacts, networks of people, etc. Things naturally spread out from Rome. There were also large conflicts about, should there, or shouldn't there, be elders over the fellowship.

In the very early church, the only recognized "leaders" were ones who had been in direct contact with one of the 12 apostles, or travelled with him - someone who could be directly traced to the apostles or Christ. Why? Because they did not have the written word or epistles like we have now. There was no "Word" or Bible in the early fellowships. There were letters were sent from not only Paul, Peter, but people like Barnabus, Thomas and many others that are not in the Bible today. They'd read and copy it and pass it on.

Because there was no Bible to speak of, it became very important that those over the fellowships had had direct contact with Christ, or the apostles who had been with him. When that elder grew old, the person who worked closely with him was appointed, so the "lineage" was kept constant and close to the source.

There was a big hubub in some of the ancient letters and writings because the church of Corinth had gotten rid of some of their elders and replaced them with new ones who had not been with an apostle, and the large Roman fellowship, said, whoa - not so fast, put back the old ones who have personal experience with the apostles and can keep the message of Christ pure. That's why "Apostolic Succession" became so important. There was no Bible, you had to hope whoever was teaching you knew what he was talking about and not adding or taking away from the doctrine.

Sunny,

Awesome facts about carrying on the Word by mouth. It's a wonder we have anything accurate when you think of the game of "telephone." Of course, I think there was the spirit of God at work also.

Sorry for being so argumentative last night.

My brother had been on the verge of dying for a few days and he did in fact die early this morning. After my Mom called, I made a cup of tea and opened up my Bible to Psalms and just happened to go to Psalm 116. "Precious in the sight of God is the death of one of his saints." It is the little things in life that sometimes take care of the big.

IE

No problem Irish eyes. I can understand how you feel. This month my father fell, spent a week in the hospital, two weeks in rehab, at the end of that time his wife, my stepmother, was dying - we all spent last week at viewing and funeral. Been a rough last few weeks.

quote:
Originally posted by TheInvisibleDan:

quote:
Originally posted by def59:

But there were many copies of the letters and the Gospels. Most of those were written before 70 A.D. (None mention the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem.

The cute "little apocalypses" in the Synoptics do.

Danny

Sorry Danny, you'll have to be more specific. I found passages where Jesus prophesied about the Temple's destruction but that doesn't speak to the fact.