GreaseSpot Cafe

Digital Audio Recorders

pawtucket

Seriously -- A friend of mine had a great little digital recorder that he occasionally brought to jam sessions, so he could record and learn new tunes.

It was about the size of a pack of cigarettes, and he could upload the music he recorded to his computer, and burn a disc of the session. It recorded really well (caught all our mistakes, and everything!), but I don't know who made it. He was a student here at UMD, and has since moved away.

He would turn it on, lay it on the table we all sit around, and it did a great job of picking up the sound from all around the table, and not just from one direction.

If you're going to use it for voice, you wouldn't need multi-track, would you?

One concern is how many simultaneous tracks do you need to record? If 4 is enough, FOSTEX makes a nice little unit for about 400 bucks. Has an internal 40 gig drive, usb out, good quality.

Personally, I haven't used any of them. When I want to record, I have an Alesis mixer and record with Steinberg Cubase SE. That's not portable of course, unless you have a good fast laptop. If so, you could get a DI box and download a free program called Kristal Audio Engine that does a pretty good job mixing multiple tracks for a free program. Even has some decent digital effects.

Rick

Anyone out there familiar with portable digital audio recorder?

I've been looking to get one. Would like a multi track. Most use will be for spoken audio.

The standard in use by many people is the MiniDisc... much like a CD but tiny, the whole unit is about the size of a pack of cigs. Go to minidisc.com for brands and reviews. I use a Sony all the time to record my teachings.

There is a new type out that used Flash memory cards rather than disks... probably the way of the future.

Cheers.