GreaseSpot Cafe

Favorite cold weather comfort foods?

likeaneagle

It's still warm here..but we finaly have dipped to higher 5o's at night.

I would like to hear about your fav winter foods.

Im looking for a good chili, a little non traditional......

I love sour cream and cheese in my chili..any other variations out there.

Edited by likeaeagle

Likeaeagle,

I saw the topic..Cold Weather Comfort Foods and I was going to post my chilli recipe but lo and behold you had already had chilli in your post. Well, if you want easy I'd suggest Rotel® dip. One lb of Velveeta® cheese cut up into little pieces and pour the Rotel® (cut-up tomatoes and chillis) over it... place it in the microwave... nuke it for about 4 minutes... stir it around and nuke it again for a few minutes. Then lap it up with Frito-Lay® 's tostito chips. Why Frito-Lay® ?? Because they have no hydrogenated trans fats in them. All the other chips (nationally) are loaded with artery clogging trans fats.

I'm all for comfort foods but by golly, they don't have to be bad for your health!! And Rotel® dip?? It's a big hit at parties, too!

sudo

Thanks Sudo

I will have to try your recipe.

I make little strips of chips for dipping myself. I by the tomatoe and herb wraps and cut then into thin strips and bake on very low, till crispy. they are an awesome garnish for chili. Also, if cut into pie shapes can be used for dipping.

I just heard Martha S. mention dill chili..geesh, dont know ifI can go there..dill has its place, like on fish and in my potato leek soup..but chili..oh,my. :o

forgot to mention- It is so nice to hear about men cooking in the kitchen..so cool!!

A manly man I say!

I highly recommend the Ro-tel Dip!! :D If you like it hot use the spicy variety.

I like tomato soup and grilled cheese sammiches on cold days and I've recently become very fond of Rasca's Split Pea Soup, but I don't know what she puts in it. It's yummy with a dollop of cream cheese on top!!

This morning I bought a pound of sirloin beef stew.

I threw it (ever so gently) into the garlic sprayed crock pot...chunked all my garden veggies...cubed eggplant, celery, carrots, onions, cut tomatoes,3 colors of potatoes I picked up in Maine....and 3 colors of carrots!!! (yellow, orange and red!!!)..I salt and peppered it, and left for work....

Presto!!! I walked into the house to a most delectable smell...and just finished a yummy seasonal stew!!!

I usually make cornbread muffins and freeze them....but, I ate all those up the other day...

I love this time of year.

...and....

I love my crock pot.

Do you have one? :)

Belle and Wacky...

Great comfort foods for cold days. I do both of you guys' suggestions... Beef stew (though I brown the meat to deep mahogany first for flavor) AND tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. We have lots of cooks around the Greasespot and I'm sure to pick up some ideas.... and yes Likeaeagle, I'm the cook around our house.

So a tip or two of my own. Belle.. try Campbell's Tomato Bisque. It's a lot more expensive than their regular tomato soup but worth it, IMO. Oh, and by all means make it with MILK not water. And if you want it really yummy, make it with half and half. And the grilled cheese sandwiches?? Try a flavorful (not tasteless Mozzerella type) soft cheese like Fontina. It was really popular about 35 years ago when fondue was a fad. A young or aged Gouda makes a good grilled cheese, too, but doesn't melt as well.

sudo