GreaseSpot Cafe

Ordination, Elders, and Deacons

Rejoice

I am not ordained but instead am commissioned/licensed/certified Associate in Ministry(AIM) in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, formerly called Lay Professional leader/Church Worker Staff as Organist/Director of Music/ parish Cantor/liturgical deacon. LOL, talk about titles. Actually, both potential clergy as well as full-time church musicians and theologians/Christian Ed. must fill out a biographical profile

and explain why they feel "called" to serve full-time in the church, then they must meet several times with a

synodical(similar to a diocese) preparation committee and have a psychological evaluation before entering seminary or graduate school. Finally they must type an annual report to the local congregation, with copies

going to the state synod(Salisbury,NC) and the national HQ in Chicago, Ill. God, I hope TWI isn't thinking along these lines.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being "ordained" in most traditional churches means being accountable to somebody. I think it's a good thing, meant to protect the unsuspecting public. B)

I think it is a rather unblblical thing that unnecessarily divides the church into two separate classes of people.

I seriously doubt that when the early church began to divide itself into clergy and laity that it did so to "protect the unsuspecting public". However, I have heard much worse attempts to justify the status quo of the mainstream churches.

While in some denominations clergy is held accountable to a certain extent, in many others such is not the case. The clergy is typically closed system with lay folks having little say in church matters. Having clergy accountable to clergy alone has led to corruption and abuse, (kind of like having the police repsonsible to

to police themselves.) It just doesn't work that well.

What "protection" a traditional clergy system may seem to offer is far outweighed by the split between clergy and laity.

But in fairness, since traditional churches will probably never abandon the unbiblical clergy system, ordination can give some protection, but only if strict requirements are met for ordination and swift action is taken when ordained folks abuse their positions.

Well, I guess the supreme pontiff has spoken..... :unsure:

Ex10,

Is this how you support your opinion? -- With ad hominem?

Thats not normally like you. I would expect that kind of reply from clergy who loves their honorific title, special priviliges, and the adoration of their followers. But you have kinda surprised me here. Must have struck a sensitive nerve for you to lash out like that.

But, certainly you can do better than ad hominem. Maybe you could try addressing the points I made and show where they are wrong. Or maybe even read the articles I linked to (if you didn't} and make your case against them. Maybe even use your Bible...

Sheesh, It's funny how some folks react when they are disagreed with.

Edited by Goey

Any person can be "ordained" via the internet within fiften minutes.

My nephew was ordained when he was a teen! As a hoot.

yes he can perform weddings furnerals and file the proper papers within the state to make it official.

I thought they would have to be linked to a denomination or at least a church to perform duties, but nope just an internet break and your a REV!

A Rev. does not need to be linked to a denomination or church to perform.

they can file the proper papers within the state, for death and marriage etc.

It is about keeping records .

As far as conseling ,lol, each indivual must seek what he needs in life and a title does not garuntee sucess or deliverence .

Many clergy will refer to a professional if the issues are serious enough to merit need,most frankly are not educated in genuine helping skills at University. It is an adminstration and theory education mostly.

Any person can be "ordained" via the internet within fiften minutes.

True.

It is a government thing, and thus not covered by anything Biblical.

On the other hand, when you ARE doing fellowships, having the documents do come in handy.

Bonnie got involved with prison ministrys at two seperate duty-stations, and she really enjoyed herself and helped others too. That was made possible by her carrying a certificate of ordination.

Whether to view the ordination as a 'scam' or not, I think you have to consider what a person does with their 'calling', and how many people they help.